SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email today that the Volvo on call app expires in a few weeks. 200 per year, or pay up front for 54 months and get it for 600 dollars. Here's the kicker- the remote start does not function without it. So, we pay for remote start when we purchase the car, but have to pay for an additional service for it to work.

I'd rather have it built into the fob as a given, and if I want to start my car from the comfort of the airport shuttle, I'd gladly pay the fee. But to make this a must have app on a 65k car is nuts.

Oh ...here's the fob to car. If you want it to unlock your car it's 10 dollars per month......lol.

Btw...we got the update today. Everything seems to be working as intended.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got an email today that the Volvo on call app expires in a few weeks. 200 per year, or pay up front for 54 months and get it for 600 dollars. Here's the kicker- the remote start does not function without it. So, we pay for remote start when we purchase the car, but have to pay for an additional service for it to work.

I'd rather have it built into the fob as a given, and if I want to start my car from the comfort of the airport shuttle, I'd gladly pay the fee. But to make this a must have app on a 65k car is nuts.

Oh ...here's the fob to car. If you want it to unlock your car it's 10 dollars per month......lol.

Btw...we got the update today. Everything seems to be working as intended.
Can you explain why you paid for the remote start and how much? Sorry if this may sound stupid but I always thought that the Volvo On Call app is the remote start and it's complimentary for 6 months. Another question is the key fob, you mean to say you would need to pay for it to work? I don't understand.

I do agree that the Volvo On Call app subscription is bonkers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow..$200 per year? For remote start and being able to lock or unlock the doors? Hell no...

I'm willing to pay $100 per year or $200 for 3 years upfront at most.

Was there any negotiating room? Did they leave a number to call to discuss. I'm sure it's like SiriusXM...when you say no, then they offer you 50% discount...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can you explain why you paid for the remote start and how much? Sorry if this may sound stupid but I always thought that the Volvo On Call app is the remote start and it's complimentary for 6 months. Another question is the key fob, you mean to say you would need to pay for it to work? I don't understand.

I do agree that the Volvo On Call app subscription is bonkers!
You are misunderstanding what the OP is saying. The VOC is expiring and Volvo wants a ridiculous fee to continue. The OP is also stating the fact that you can't remote start from the fob....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree it's pretty expensive but yeah, there's no upfront charge for "remote start" so OP is off base. Also VOC has additional features- vehicle locator, search and send to nav, driving journal. The cost is a little steep but I went ahead and renewed and don't feel cheated. I feel "luxuriated".

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You are misunderstanding what the OP is saying. The VOC is expiring and Volvo wants a ridiculous fee to continue. The OP is also stating the fact that you can't remote start from the fob....
No that's not what the op is saying though if it was it would be accurate. OP claims there is a $10 fee for the fob to UNLOCK the car which I understand is hyperbole but still kind of pointless.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
So if you renew for 54 months, the lump sum is $600 for 5 years (6month + 54month).
and it will be $600 again for another 54months after 5 years? I am wondering they probably will be able to add the connected car service after 5 years and charge more...

What is the price of similar service offered by BMW/Mercedes/Audi? Maybe it is on par.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yup! That's what I figure, this statement made it confusing to me: "So, we pay for remote start when we purchase the car, but have to pay for an additional service for it to work.". But thanks for clarifying. I agree, they should have integrated that function on the actual key.

I agree it's pretty expensive but yeah, there's no upfront charge for "remote start" so OP is off base. Also VOC has additional features- vehicle locator, search and send to nav, driving journal. The cost is a little steep but I went ahead and renewed and don't feel cheated. I feel "luxuriated".
Hahaha! You mean "spoiled"? :D Man, I hope they change their policy and extend it to a year!

·
Registered
192 Posts
So you are also going to pay for the 3G data once it expires to use the VOC that you just paid for?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Really pretty certain that they are either one and the same, or that the 3G service is not a prerequisite for VOC (relying on a separate SIM card).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Really pretty certain that they are either one and the same, or that the 3G service is not a prerequisite for VOC (relying on a separate SIM card).
Your good..they are independent and VOC doesn't need the 3G service. I just found the info.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Wow..$200 per year? For remote start and being able to lock or unlock the doors? Hell no...
The VOC is not only about "remote start" and being able to "lock or unlock your doors"...There is a lot more to the app.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The VOC is not only about "remote start" and being able to "lock or unlock your doors"...There is a lot more to the app.
I can't speak about the app itself yet, since I don't have my car, but if it's anything like Hyundai's Blue Link - it'll be good enough.
I like it on my Sonata, but it only costs $99 a year for remote start/unlock/etc. You can pick and choose the packages.

Grecian,

Is there any way around the pricing? Like, would the dealer be able to help with getting a better pricing? Or is it like Hyundai - where it is what it is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I also received the e-mail today. Renewal is online; I don't think there is any room for a discount. Here is the full e-mail:

"The time has come to renew your Volvo on Call subscription. Volvo on Call brings you amazing features to make your life easier, including:

• Roadside or emergency assistance at the touch of a button
• Theft notifications, stolen vehicle tracking and immobilization*
• An app accessed through your mobile, tablet or wearable devices, which includes:
- Engine remote start and stop
- Remote door lock and unlock
- Locate your Volvo
- Send a location to your Volvo"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's my general response to all ya'll....lol

My Kia daily driver AND my 2015 Mustang have remote start on the FOB. We should have that option.
It may not be a line item, but ain't nothing free...we do pay for the mechanism that is the remote start
There is no room to negotiate the fees for his service
They should be al a cart and not an all in one proposition. If I want to feel "luxuriated" awesome, I can pay for that. If I want my car to warm up in my parking lot office, I want that on a FOB.
The lock deal was a joke....we are not charged for unlocking our cars with the FOBS! :)
Happy New Year everyone!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The other fun one I noticed today is that the AT&T data IS NOT INCLUDED with the VOC subscription renewal!

That is separate...and I could not find any 3G plans on the AT&T website for car data...everything was priced for LTE with data limits, no unlimited data.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...nnect-with-volvo-on-call-plans-are-available?

To just add it as another device on an existing data share plan alone is $10/mo

Only place I can find pricing is the small print at the bottom here:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/connected-car.html

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
While I don't have it handy - I did post a URL from Volvo in another thread that said AT&T has not come up with a plan for US based Volvo cars - so after the 6-month initial service expires Volvo will continue it as complimentary until the plan structure is worked out.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Grecian,

Is there any way around the pricing? Like, would the dealer be able to help with getting a better pricing? Or is it like Hyundai - where it is what it is.
Volvo provides the cost of each plan to the retailers; final pricing depends on the retailers.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts