SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had these delivered today for my winter wheelset; 19x8.5 ET40. Sales guy (supposedly) asked Niche if these would clear the Brembos and they said yes. They weren't wrong, but.......

Looks like some spacers are in my future....

·
Registered
442 Posts
That's too bad. I'm running Variant Xenon 19x8.5 35mm offset and I have at least 1/2 inch clearance from my Rotora Big Brake Kit. It might be the design of the Niche spokes that are thicker.

Post pics when you are done. The Niche was on my short list

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Brembos are some beefy boys. I'm also slightly concerned about the valve location and the stem contacting the calipers, but will ask the tire place when I mount the tires. please excuse my blurry pic

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah, that is super tight clearance. Anyway to return them?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, just pay shipping back which isn't too bad.

But I think I'll try the spacer approach - only need 3mm to exceed stock clearance which will reduce the effective offset to +37. Shouldn't be any noticeable impact to anything with that. As for the valves, I'm sure the tire guys can find something that works, even if I need to go with the flush mounts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3mm spacers give me slightly more clearance than stock:

Currently running 0 profile tires ;)

And after a few more measurements, I think a regular valve stem will _barely_ clear the calipers, but I might put flush mount on just to be safe.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VikingContact7s getting mounted next week, but I wont swap over to the winters until end of Oct/early Nov (or whenever mother nature decides to throw some arctic air/snow this way)

·
Registered
442 Posts
3mm spacers give me slightly more clearance than stock:

Currently running 0 profile tires ;)

And after a few more measurements, I think a regular valve stem will _barely_ clear the calipers, but I might put flush mount on just to be safe.
Looks real good!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Which spacers did you use? I'm facing the same problem myself for winter wheels, but plan to give the Sparco Assetto Garas in bronze a try.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBYY781/

universal 3mm, not hubcentric. couldn't find any 5x108 3mm hubcentric. there's still plenty of lip on the hub to center the wheel with the spacers there so not being hubcentric is no big deal, but i recommend 2 guide pegs as the spacer swivels on just one. was a bit tedious to get it lined up so i ordered a second peg.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If those Sparcos fit I'll kick myself as I was considering them as well :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the link. How were you able to guarantee that the spacers are centered correctly since it doesn't sit on the lip and the cutouts for the bolts are universal? If the spacers themselves are slightly off center, wouldn't that result in some vibration at high speeds?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are slots for the bolts, so to get every bolt in they all need to be centered, which centers the spacer on the wheel.

But really at that weight so close to the center of rotating mass I doubt you'd notice if they were off

·
Registered
238 Posts
How much room was there between the caliper and barrel of the wheel? I'm guessing there's a snowball's chance in hell that an 18" wheel would clear the caliper?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think i used 5mm spacers on my winters, similar issues.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swapped over yesterday as temps have been maxing out around 40 with some snow in the forecast tonight. Also adjusted the suspension from the recommended 'performance' settings to 'comfort' which made me realize just how stiff the performance setting was; I now feel like i'm rolling over in corners :)

The all-black wheels make it look angrier....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Swapped over yesterday as temps have been maxing out around 40 with some snow in the forecast tonight. Also adjusted the suspension from the recommended 'performance' settings to 'comfort' which made me realize just how stiff the performance setting was; I now feel like i'm rolling over in corners :)

The all-black wheels make it look angrier....

Nice, these look great! I've been looking for a set of track day wheels with sticky rubber -- eyeing the Sparco Podium wheels which look similar so thanks for posting a pic of your Niche wheels mounted. Are you running 235 or did you go up to 245 on the 8.5" wheels?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stuck with stock 235/40. eventually I'll probably go wider for my summers

·
Registered
136 Posts
These niches look pretty cool. I am looking to building some Work or SSR wheels for when the Polestar arrives.

In my experience with wheel dimensions, the offset and width only tells you 2/3 of the story of brake clearance. Offset is simply the measurement of the back pad to the centerline of the wheel.

The other 1/3 being the measurement of the back pad to the back of the spoke referred to as disc or disk.
High disk offers the most clearance and is usually needed for cars with big calipers, at the expense of having smaller lips, low disk offers the least clearance, but maximum lip. Certain wheel manufacturers will specify this but they're usually only 3 piece wheels because the face is obviously separate from the lip and barrel.

Great looking wheels though! I can't wait to get my Polestar and start sizing some deep dish boi's on there. Might try for a 10j x19"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts