SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
This is great-- not sure about using my Volvo for dump runs, but otherwise...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Positive post, 3 replies. Let's say MT would have blasted the XC90, we would already be 3 pages deep.... :p

·
Registered
391 Posts
Positive post, 3 replies. Let's say MT would have blasted the XC90, we would already be 3 pages deep.... :p
Of course. Human nature to accentuate the negative. It's hard to be positive!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course. Human nature to accentuate the negative. It's hard to be positive!
I just saw, and posted in the V90 board, that another MT reviewer selected the V90 as his choice. Wow, positive changes for Volvo, huh? it used to be that they would all be choosing a BMW or an Audi and we would be getting dumped on. This latest series of cars is really making a difference. I know I love our XC90 so much that we bought an S60 and Im usually loathe to buy such similar cars (from the inside at least).

Im really looking forward to 2022 when i get to see how Volvo follows up and Im in the market again!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I just saw, and posted in the V90 board, that another MT reviewer selected the V90 as his choice. Wow, positive changes for Volvo, huh? it used to be that they would all be choosing a BMW or an Audi and we would be getting dumped on. This latest series of cars is really making a difference. I know I love our XC90 so much that we bought an S60 and Im usually loathe to buy such similar cars (from the inside at least).

Im really looking forward to 2022 when i get to see how Volvo follows up and Im in the market again!!!

That's awesome! You are all Volvo! :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't mind negative posts if they are informative and/or helpful. But too much of this forum has devolved into endlessly repetitive whining about: (a) minor gripes presented as apocalyptic disasters; or (b) complaints that end up being based largely or entirely on user error.

I especially like the posters who have one or two posts TOTAL, who pop up to rant about questionable problems, and then disappear back into thin air. It seems like they are just trolling, and of course they succeed in getting all the same complainers re-litigating all of their same old complaints yet again. It's just a weird dynamic, and sadly, isn't as interesting or fun to hang out here as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
... not sure about using my Volvo for dump runs ...
I do, I do! - along with Xmas trees, house doors, foldable miter saw stand, lumber, etc. I love the look on people's faces when they see what I pull out the back of this beautiful, elegant, functional, practical, safe "luxury" Seriously Useful Vehicle / minivan . . .
:)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I don't mind negative posts if they are informative and/or helpful. But too much of this forum has devolved into endlessly repetitive whining about: (a) minor gripes presented as apocalyptic disasters; or (b) complaints that end up being based largely or entirely on user error.

I especially like the posters who have one or two posts TOTAL, who pop up to rant about questionable problems, and then disappear back into thin air. It seems like they are just trolling, and of course they succeed in getting all the same complainers re-litigating all of their same old complaints yet again. It's just a weird dynamic, and sadly, isn't as interesting or fun to hang out here as it used to be.
I agree with all your points.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do, I do! - along with Xmas trees, house doors, foldable miter saw stand, lumber, etc. I love the look on people's faces when they see what I pull out the back of this beautiful, elegant, functional, practical, safe "luxury" Seriously Useful Vehicle / minivan . . .
:)
Yikes! That’s why i kept the Jeep Grand Cherokee, for those dirty dirty tasks and towing (I can’t cut stomach cutting the bumper for a tow hitch on the xc90).

·
Registered
206 Posts
In the latest episode of Top Gear, Chris Harris chose a vehicle in each category, and he chose the XC90 for the full-size SUV.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to poop on everyone's feel good parade here a little, car journalists are pretty terrible at providing useful car buying advice. You'd be shocked to find out the $5K crapboxes that most of them actually daily, while dispensing their pearls of car-buying wisdom for any given price bracket and vehicle category, such $50K-$70K buyers looking into XC90.

This is the same Motor Trend that selected such duds as their car of the year:

2018 - ALFA ROMEO GIULIA
2017 - CHEVROLET BOLT EV
2014 - CADILLAC CTS
2011 - CHEVROLET VOLT
2010 - FORD FUSION
2008 - CADILLAC CTS
2002 - FORD THUNDERBIRD
2001 - CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
2000 - LINCOLN LS

I could go on, but consumers are good from separating hype from reality by voting with their dollars. Every car listed above was promptly cancelled after winning this "very coveted" award and never sold well to begin with. 2017-2018 winners are too recent, but their sales numbers will surely get them cancelled in the next few years. A shame for Giulia though, but its depreciation speaks volumes due to unreliability.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to poop on everyone's feel good parade here a little, car journalists are pretty terrible at providing useful car buying advice. You'd be shocked to find out the $5K crapboxes that most of them actually daily, while dispensing their pearls of car-buying wisdom for any given price bracket and vehicle category, such $50K-$70K buyers looking into XC90.

This is the same Motor Trend that selected such duds as their car of the year:

2018 - ALFA ROMEO GIULIA
2017 - CHEVROLET BOLT EV
2014 - CADILLAC CTS
2011 - CHEVROLET VOLT
2010 - FORD FUSION
2008 - CADILLAC CTS
2002 - FORD THUNDERBIRD
2001 - CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
2000 - LINCOLN LS

I could go on, but consumers are good from separating hype from reality by voting with their dollars. Every car listed above was promptly cancelled after winning this "very coveted" award and never sold well to begin with. 2017-2018 winners are too recent, but their sales numbers will surely get them cancelled in the next few years. A shame for Giulia though, but its depreciation speaks volumes due to unreliability.
Not sure why you’d want to “poop on everyone's feel good parade here” but so be it. Can’t we just have a positive f**cking thread here every now and again?

Im not even sure what your point is here? That you don’t like, or that they car buying market didn’t overwhelmingly support, some of Motor Trend’s” COTY picks? Neither of those points have anything at all to do with whether a car is a good car, a wise choice for any one particular owner or an important car wrt where the market is going. Most of those cars in your list are fine cars, worthy of special notice, and some even sold well.

Have a nice day though....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Look, I think XC90 is a very good car, I bought one 3 years ago and still like it.

I don't like when threads on this forum turn into a negative sh1tshow as much as you do, but then there is the other extreme, where its just a circle jerk thread of everyone gushing over Volvo because they have one.

I made a comment of why I think journalist car buying advise is more often than not a bad advise in direct response to the OP and everyone else anxious to jump on the feel-good bandwagon. A civil and sober observation on my end, which can be debated without turning into one of those aforementioned sh1tshow threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts