SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is quite nice, though counter to the ad, it's a '72, not a '71. This is confirmed by

1) Flush exterior door handles

2) Faux wood dash rather than black

3) Lower center dash console.

4) Short shift lever.

5) and of course the serial number which tells all.

Not that a '72 is bad. Not by any means. It's a very nice car. But lot's of people seem to claim their cars are '71 when they are actually something else. Always start with the serial number when looking at any from of originality or provenance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is quite nice, though counter to the ad, it's a '72, not a '71.
It is very well possible that the car was manufactured in 1971. It is a 144 1972 model but the production of that model started in September 1971. So for someone with limited knowledge of Volvo it is a 1971 142.

Regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, the number plate says Oct '71 if I recall correctly. So manufactured in '71, but a '72 model year. The whole concept of a model year emerged in the mid to late '60s and I think was totally the result of the US safety and emissions requirements which became increasingly demanding with each year. So manufacturers had to designate and build cars to meet the regs for a particular model year. The recessed door handles on the '72 are a good example. That was to remove exterior protrusions that could cause injury if you swiped someone.

I also play around with Mercedes of the same vintage, and in the early '60s they provide an interesting counter example. All the manufacturing records give you a build date based on the serial number. But the "year" of the car was decided by the dealer when they wrote up the paperwork for registrations and titling. I've seen one car that was sold, titled, and registered as a '65, then another car built AFTER that one that was sold, titled, and registered as a '64. So the boundary was quite fuzzy.

Mathieu, do you know how this evolved in Europe?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Twelve grand?! Come over here and get a similar one for four (or three for twelve)

Looks gorgeous though. Would love that dash and wheel on my '71. Is it possible to buy the faux wood stickers from somewhere?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mathieu, do you know how this evolved in Europe?

In the Netherlands many people buy a car at the end of the year and want them delivered after newyear so that their car is "younger" that it actually is. This practice has been done since the 50-ties.

And about Volvo, I read somewere a story that Volvo started to produce the next year model already in August/September because they made the necessary changes in the productionline during the summerholiday of the employees.

Best regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The car did not sell on ebay. Its listed for 9997.00 on Wilmington craigslist. I saw the car and it looks better in pictures than what it really is. The re spray is poor. Some rust starting to bubble up. The gas tank hose in the trunk is covered with aluminum foil and a plastic bag, but he says there is no leak. I could smell gas in the trunk. I made some suggestions and the answer was I don't want to spend any money on the car. I offered 6k for it, I thought that was generous, he turned it down. Later I found on the web that the car was listed in 2014 for 6k, the new owner said he bought the car about 1 1/2 years ago. He probably bought it for under 6k and has spent no money on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts