SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received an email from NHTSA this morning. There's a recall for 2018-2019 XC60 and S90 for the seats.

March 20, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V220000
Front Seats may Move in a Crash
If the nuts are missing, in the event of a crash, the front seat structure and position may be affected, increasing the risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V220000

Manufacturer Volvo Car USA LLC

Components SEATS

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,297

Summary

Volvo Car USA LLC (Volvo) is recalling certain 2018-2019 XC60 and S90 vehicles. The driver and passenger front seat rail rear flange nuts may not have been installed during assembly.

Remedy

Volvo will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front seat rails for missing flange nuts, installing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 17, 2019. Owners may contact Volvo customer service at 1-800-458-1552. Volvo's number for this recall is R19931.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=19V220

·
Registered
170 Posts
What the hell!!! This seems like a HUGE oversight of their QC process. How would this pass any inspections on the assembly line....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
My wife has mine so they aren't technically missing :p

I wonder if this spans the different trims? 2,300 impacted is not a lot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What the hell!!! This seems like a HUGE oversight of their QC process. How would this pass any inspections on the assembly line....
Maybe they put a standard nut instead of a flange nut? I will find out tonight when I check it.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I hope this time the parts is readily available... :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I definitely remember Swedespeed posts [ I was going to write 'recall' but that would have been confusing ;) ]about loose seats for 2018 SPA XC60s.

Inspired by this thread, I looked up the 2018s and we are up to 3 recalls so far. I have the Automatic Lift Gate RECALL letter on my fridge, though it is only a "We will notify you when to bring in to fix type letter." I never received anything about the first recall about GPS.

Here is a cut and past, as of APR 05, 2019 for US 2019 XC60 T6s:

3 Recalls
for 2018 VOLVO XC60 T6

March 20, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V220000
Front Seats may Move in a Crash
If the nuts are missing, in the event of a crash, the front seat structure and position may be affected, increasing the risk of injury.

January 18, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V046000
Tailgate Lifting Arms may Freeze and Separate
If the tailgate lifting arms separate, the arms could project rearward with significant force, increasing the risk of injury.

November 13, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V800000
No GPS Location in the Event of a Crash
If the GPS location is not provided to emergency personnel it can inhibit emergency response in the event of a crash or injury.

so I expect this seat recall to show up about 3 months before the lease is up.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
None of my recalls showed up under those sites yet Volvo did the work when my vehicle was brought in for service

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Has anybody checked their seat for the missing nuts? I looked at mine and they look ok to me.

no8UOiil.jpg bAnBruOl.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my new XC 60 last April, and am surprised to see so many "quality control" things coming up. My brake rotors were warped from the factory (found this out first time I drove downhill on a steep grade in the mountains and my steering wheel and car started shaking-scary!), the tailgate recall, the air suspension last week was stuck on the highest position and I had to get a new compressor, and now missing nuts? This just seems like a lot of safety issues on a car that is supposed to be so safe. How do these things pass inspection?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I got my new XC 60 last April, and am surprised to see so many "quality control" things coming up. My brake rotors were warped from the factory (found this out first time I drove downhill on a steep grade in the mountains and my steering wheel and car started shaking-scary!), the tailgate recall, the air suspension last week was stuck on the highest position and I had to get a new compressor, and now missing nuts? This just seems like a lot of safety issues on a car that is supposed to be so safe. How do these things pass inspection?
Products (including vehicles) typically follow a bathtub curve for failure rate:

You're exiting the "burn-in" period...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts