SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washington, DC -- The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today released front and side crash results for the final 2001 model year vehicle in their consumer information testing program.

The results, posted on the World Wide Web at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap , show safety ratings for frontal impact and side impact crashes for the model year 2001 Volvo S60 four-door passenger car.

The 2001 Volvo S60 received a frontal safety rating of four stars on the driver's side and four stars on the passenger's side, and a side safety rating of five stars in the front and five stars in the rear seat.

For both frontal and side impact, the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) reports crash test results in a range of one to five stars, with five stars showing the best crash protection. Frontal tests should be compared only among vehicles within the same weight class.

A fact sheet, containing explanatory information and tables showing NCAP crash test results for model year 2001 vehicles, is available by calling the NHTSA Office of Public and Consumer Affairs, 202-366-9550; the Auto Safety Hotline, 1-888-327-4236; or by writing to NHTSA Public Affairs, Room 5232, 400 Seventh St., S.W., Washington, DC. 20590.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Washington, DC -- The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today released front and side crash results for the final 2001 model year vehicle in their consumer information testing program.

The results, posted on the World Wide Web at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap , show safety ratings for frontal impact and side impact crashes for the model year 2001 Volvo S60 four-door passenger car.

The 2001 Volvo S60 received a frontal safety rating of four stars on the driver's side and four stars on the passenger's side, and a side safety rating of five stars in the front and five stars in the rear seat.

For both frontal and side impact, the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) reports crash test results in a range of one to five stars, with five stars showing the best crash protection. Frontal tests should be compared only among vehicles within the same weight class.

A fact sheet, containing explanatory information and tables showing NCAP crash test results for model year 2001 vehicles, is available by calling the NHTSA Office of Public and Consumer Affairs, 202-366-9550; the Auto Safety Hotline, 1-888-327-4236; or by writing to NHTSA Public Affairs, Room 5232, 400 Seventh St., S.W., Washington, DC. 20590.
Side impact (as noted in the middle of your post) received 5 stars. NHTSA agreed to rate the 2002 S60 w/ 5 stars all around.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Okay, this is the straight press release as printed by NHTSA. I'll look and see if they made an update.
I have the press release from Volvo. If you want to, give me your fax and I will fax it to you so you can post it here.

Yannis

·
Registered
692 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

Side impact (as noted in the middle of your post) received 5 stars. NHTSA agreed to rate the 2002 S60 w/ 5 stars all around.

Yannis

Do you know what modifications Volvo did to the 2002 models to receive 5 all around? I heard they'd be tweaking it, but didn't know results had been released yet.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Duett:
Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

Yannis

Do you know what modifications Volvo did to the 2002 models to receive 5 all around? I heard they'd be tweaking it, but didn't know results had been released yet.

No, and I am not sure we will find out.

Yannis

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Did this ever improve? (pjc)

Quote, originally posted by pjc »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but when I looked on NHTSA's web site, it didn't appear that the newer models did any better on the tests. What happened?

2002 results
2003 results

I don't think they retested the car. Usally they only test one car per model, they don't revist the car unless changes are made. The '01-'04 S60's should crash the same.

I don't even look at NHSTA's marks unless there isn't any data at http://www.iihs.org or http://www.euroncap.com , both are better sites for crash information.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Did this ever improve? (Kaizai)

Ah, they didn't re-test. That explains it. I had seen some articles that suggested Volvo was upset by missing a star in the front collision category and had done a little tweaking on subsequent models.

Then again, the Euro NCAP tests were of the 2002 model and showed some risks to the driver's legs on a front crash test. (Being very tall, this is of interest to me.) Thanks for the pointers to the other crash test sources.

And, actually, I don't yet own the car. Safety is the highest priority in my search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts