SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the next gen xc90 realistically due to be released ? Thinking of trading the 17 in for 19 or 20 so just curious .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
When is the next gen xc90 realistically due to be released ? Thinking of trading the 17 in for 19 or 20 so just curious .

MY2022 to be sure. MY2021 also possible.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Do you think it might be self driving?

Nora in Florida
Nora did you get an XC90 yet? I know you were shopping/thinking for quite a while.

I hope the "self driving" dystopia never comes true. It just means a computer will be able to crash your car and you'll have no one to sue!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nora did you get an XC90 yet? I know you were shopping/thinking for quite a while.

I hope the "self driving" dystopia never comes true. It just means a computer will be able to crash your car and you'll have no one to sue!
Not yet. I think I need a little more time to think about it. I only started the thread in 2008.

I still haven’t found a seat as comfortable as my 1996 850 R. I need to find an XC 90 R to test drive. The only thing the dealer has is an XC 40R. But maybe the seat would be the same.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Do you think it might be self driving?

Nora in Florida
It may be technically capable for L4 (eg. on self driving on most freeway), but it is another question if they are going to put it on market. There maybe legal and liability stuff to work out.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It may be technically capable for L4 (eg. on self driving on most freeway), but it is another question if they are going to put it on market. There maybe legal and liability stuff to work out.
Exactly. There are so many issues (infrastructure, technology, and skeptical consumer attitudes also) with autonomous driving that the industry is finally starting to realize how difficult or unlikely it is to happen in the near (3-7 years) term.
Too bad i wasn't involved with one of the autonomous industry startups as these folks have made millions while funding their "ready-for-mass-production" research projects (at the cost of big automakers, auto suppliers, and venture capitalists) and have showed nothing significant for it - and it will be like this on the tech side for at least 5 more years! (My best guess.) Tesla might be the exception ...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If the trend of the first two XC90 generations continues, expect the next gen xc90 sometimes in 2030 or so...
Let's hope I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would doubt it as the XC40 is a different platform and much smaller.
Thanks so much. I really don’t want a car that small.

I’ll contact the dealer again and see if they can get an XC90 R here for me to test drive.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
934 Posts
If the trend of the first two XC90 generations continues, expect the next gen xc90 sometimes in 2030 or so...
Let's hope I'm wrong
Volvo went through tough times and that is why they extended the first gen XC90 for so long, but they cannot do that again if they want to continue with their premium journey. They also have deep pockets now with the amount of sales and their new owners.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Volvo went through tough times and that is why they extended the first gen XC90 for so long, but they cannot do that again if they want to continue with their premium journey. They also have deep pockets now with the amount of sales and their new owners.
That’s good to hear! I’m not sure I’ll even be around in 2030.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not yet. I think I need a little more time to think about it. I only started the thread in 2008.

I still haven’t found a seat as comfortable as my 1996 850 R. I need to find an XC 90 R to test drive. The only thing the dealer has is an XC 40R. But maybe the seat would be the same.

Nora in Florida
The 40 seat is different. the 60 is closer. Anyway, for me the "R" trim has the most long range seat comfort of the bunch.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Let's hope I'm wrong
There is no guessing involved.
It's been made very clear that the next generation will be late 2021 to 2022 when the production is moved to a new platform at Volvos plant in SC, USA.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The 40 seat is different. the 60 is closer. Anyway, for me the "R" trim has the most long range seat comfort of the bunch.
I think that is going to be true for me also. I’ve been riding in R type seat since 1996 and I absolutely love it. But I would still feel better if I can find an XC 90 R to test drive to be sure before I drop thousands of dollars. I’ll have to get in touch with my dealer again. I had kind of put things on hold for a while.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
There is no guessing involved.
It's been made very clear that the next generation will be late 2021 to 2022 when the production is moved to a new platform at Volvos plant in SC, USA.
Any rumors to what exactly will be changed?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any rumors to what exactly will be changed?

Nora in Florida
There will be a full electric version and level 4 autonomous driving as said before.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
There will be a full electric version and level 4 autonomous driving as said before.
Note that the much heralded AUDIT*, I mean Audi MY2019 A8 had Level3 autonomy which was not allowed in the USA due to a plethora of reasons which have not yet been resolved:

https://www.autonews.com/shift/why-level-3-automated-technology-has-failed-take-hold .

Any claim of bringing Level4 autonomy to the USA by any carmaker given the fact that lower-demanding Level3 issues have not yet been resolved (and won't be anytime soon) is deceptive marketing "fake news".

If anyone can name a car in the USA with accepted Level3 autonomy or the more stringent Level4 autonomy, please do educate us!

These marketing departments really have to start telling the truth!

(*As in AUDIT my diesel emissions while we corporate executives lie and get rich while you customers and innocent bystanders die. What you goin to do, slap my company with a puny fine?)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts