SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is that Polestar 3?
volvo intern code for this project is P519 (P=Polestar, 5=large vehicule, same digit as a xc90, 1=first generation, 9=the last digit is new to Volvo, can it be electric only?)

Based on Chinese administrative documents:
Start of production: week 17 2022
Power output: 430 to 550 hp
range: 450 to 600km wltp (as a reference: the Audi E-tron sportback with the big battery pack has a 450 km wltp range)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Interesting interview of Volvo CTO Henrik green (The journalists speak norwegian, Henrik Green is answering in swedish)

He confirmed that SPA 2 will have 2 different floorplans for the same top hat. One flat floorplan for EV and one floor for high voltage hybrid. (standard ICE powertrain not mentionned)
Which means that for the same looking SPA 2 cars, the "chassis" will be different depending of the powertrain choice.

I am not aware that many companies have choosen the same typ of ICE/BEV strategy

·
Registered
367 Posts
Too bad that no one answered to your post from 3 month ago. In my opinion, this cannot be anything else than the Polestar 3. It even has the dual screen in the interior, just like the Precept has. While the headlights are a down-toned version of the Precept's headlights, the "grille" and the triangles in the front bumper show a big similarity to the Polestar 2.

If this is indeed the Polestar 3, I am a bit underwhelmed. I hoped the Polestar 3 to be the first Polestar with a new design direction, but this one is still so close to Volvo. Even the backlights are like every Volvo SUV/wagon. Also, the Polestar 3 was promised to be a low, sporty SUV. This here, however, looks like a regular SUV, just with a big rear spoiler and an XC40-style swoop line over the hip. And the side reflector on the front overhang is just unnecessary. Of course, this is due to US regulations, but there are so many better ways to accomodate it. It looks like these reflectors are going to be there worldwide.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I suspect there is some plan shifting for Polestar 3. SUV EV is harder sale due to higher stance and less range than sedan. A premium cross-over coupe has much better hope. Polestar Precept is highly expected though price will be on high tier. For same reason Lynkco Zero will also get great market response this year I think.

Polestar is able to design and produce high end cars no problem but it is in a dilemma when wants a volume car that is stylish and low cost so it can sell well as the butter and bread model. P*2 is unfortunately not that attractive for two reasons, one is much shorter range than Tesla model 3, the other reason is the conservative body shape from S/V40. If it was shaped like a smaller Precept I bet it would be much hotter.

I think a much better fleet from Polestar should be a smaller Precept-shaped sedan, Precept, and a cross-over coupe. Polestar focus is on sporty, SUV is a last choice for sportiness.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is that Polestar 3?
volvo intern code for this project is P519 (P=Polestar, 5=large vehicule, same digit as a xc90, 1=first generation, 9=the last digit is new to Volvo, can it be electric only?)

Based on Chinese administrative documents:
Start of production: week 17 2022
Power output: 430 to 550 hp
range: 450 to 600km wltp (as a reference: the Audi E-tron sportback with the big battery pack has a 450 km wltp range)

Thanks for sharing. I guess the Polestar 3 will stick with the grit like grille until the production version of the Precept arrives. Hope its more competitive in the battery range cause the aesthetics is a bit dull and underwhelming.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts