SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What have you read or heard that will be new or significantly updated for SPA2 Volvo’s?

To start, I read a Volvo press release that SPA2 vehicles will have 5G cellular / data capabilities.

- 5G will still be in its infancy with the MY22 (May 2021) rollout. I sure appreciate the awareness and planning ahead v. MY16/3G on SPA1 rollout.

- Android-based Sensus

- LiDAR

What else is out there?

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Pure EV model, maybe named P10 for about 500HP? :)

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
51 Posts
This pandemic probably push all of Volvo's plans further out like the rest of the automotive industry and other verticals. I am curious on when will we see a concept that previews the next generation of Volvo design under the new architecture to get excited about. Do it virtually but do something to continue the brand's positive momentum forward. The concept coupe and concept estate were beautiful designs and a lot of it translated into production. I hope we get to see one soon.

Polestar have their Precept as its design ethos going forward. How will it's sister brand Volvo take the next step in their design language, will it be a evolution or a revolution? Interesting....

For those that have some information, please share. :D

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
This pandemic probably push all of Volvo's plans further out like the rest of the automotive industry and other verticals. I am curious on when will we see a concept that previews the next generation of Volvo design under the new architecture to get excited about. Do it virtually but do something to continue the brand's positive momentum forward. The concept coupe and concept estate were beautiful designs and a lot of it translated into production. I hope we get to see one soon.

Polestar have their Precept as its design ethos going forward. How will it's sister brand Volvo take the next step in their design language, will it be a evolution or a revolution? Interesting....

For those that have some information, please share. :D
A new S/V40 is a good chance for a new looking. A 2-door shooting brake version would be great but I won't hold my breath for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to take this thread on a slight tangent, but does the current hardware of the Volvo have this capability? And this would be just a software update?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O4mYJamyHY&t=39s

If not this is definitely features I would love Volvo Sensus to have in the SPA 2 platform.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’d wonder how they’d handle Apple CarPlay. I personally use that everyday. If it can be applied to some current gen hardware I hope they maintain some agnostic features for Apple users and the android piece is just a more efficient underlying tech over what they are doing currently.

I’d also be really interested to see how this new system effects the OnCall app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Location of PHEV battery? Perhaps moving under the seats?

S60 T8 Twin Engine's 11.8 kWh battery provides an electric-only range of up to 36 miles. XC60 T8 Twin Engine battery capacity of 10.4 kWh, delivering EPA range of 18 miles.

RAV4 Prime for comparison: 18.1 kWh lithium-ion battery mounted under the floor, manufacturer-estimated all-electric range of up to 42 miles.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
CarPlay/AA on HUD is a must-have.

·
Registered
696 Posts
There is bunch och precious information in the newly published "Green Financing Framework Presentation"

https://investors.volvocars.com/~/m...IR/documents/green-financing-presentation.pdf

- The first picture of SPA2 as BEV with a completly new flat floor!
- A new "modular electric powertrain" MEP2
- A car silhouette with a much lower hood hight as seen in Polestar precept
- Confirmation of a BEV XC90 in 2022

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
This year they caught up with XC40 PHEV and EV. I'd see if they will have a new model with new body in 2021, or Android Sensus on other model. Seems S/V40 will be out in 2022 then XC90 XC100 in 2023.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This year they caught up with XC40 PHEV and EV. I'd see if they will have a new model with new body in 2021, or Android Sensus on other model. Seems S/V40 will be out in 2022 then XC90 XC100 in 2023.

I understood that XC90 BEV was originally expected to be available with MY22 (i.e., starting ~ May 2021) along with the new Android-based Sensus. Has that changed now?

Looking @medels' post above (with a mini-excerpt below), it is difficult to decipher whether the reference to the XC90 is (1) the model year or (2) the calendar year.

Certainly, the reference to XC40 Recharge says "(Q4-20)" which is a calendar year. With that said, I concur with @FusionRedXC60's conclusion above.

This would suggest the "XC90 BEV (2022)" translates to MY23 production year. I hope Volvo will be providing more clarity for consumer planning purposes.

Addition: Thanks as well @medels. Interesting info.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for posting @medals. That presentation was good to read with my morning coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
In the middle of my training currently.... one thing I like is, at least with the pure electrics, they removed the start button. When your sitting in the seat with the key, it's ready to go. The downside will be for us at the dealer on snow days. Currently we put all the keys from a line in a box, go down and start them all just by putting the box in the car... we'll need a new strategy...

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
In the middle of my training currently.... one thing I like is, at least with the pure electrics, they removed the start button. When your sitting in the seat with the key, it's ready to go. The downside will be for us at the dealer on snow days. Currently we put all the keys from a line in a box, go down and start them all just by putting the box in the car... we'll need a new strategy...
A heavier box would do. :)

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
A heavier box would do. :)
Only if the key is left in... one of the nice things (for us) is that once the key is in to start the car, it doesn't have to be in to run and drive... so we can start a whole line of cars up with the box rather than matching each key to the car. Unless the new ones are sort of the same, but I imagine with the concept that the key will need to be in the car for the system to active. They'll have to have figured out what to do with a weak or dead key battery, so perhaps something there will be our solution as it is today.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I understood that XC90 BEV was originally expected to be available with MY22 (i.e., starting ~ May 2021) along with the new Android-based Sensus. Has that changed now?

Looking @medels' post above (with a mini-excerpt below), it is difficult to decipher whether the reference to the XC90 is (1) the model year or (2) the calendar year.

Certainly, the reference to XC40 Recharge says "(Q4-20)" which is a calendar year. With that said, I concur with @FusionRedXC60's conclusion above.

This would suggest the "XC90 BEV (2022)" translates to MY23 production year. I hope Volvo will be providing more clarity for consumer planning purposes.

Addition: Thanks as well @medels. Interesting info.
Everything planned in 2019 probably is delayed in 2020 due to the pandemic. So I'd count in half to one year delay for them.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Here's a rumor that the P8 XC90 SPA2 Might have as high as a 120 kWh battery pack, and maybe 300 miles of range. It's frrom Krris Rifa, a youtuber. I really don't know how reliable he is, but here's the video. He talks about the battery pack at 4:59.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Here's a rumor that the P8 XC90 SPA2 Might have as high as a 120 kWh battery pack, and maybe 300 miles of range. It's frrom Krris Rifa, a youtuber. I really don't know how reliable he is, but here's the video. He talks about the battery pack at 4:59.

They should build V90 with the battery pack and go 350 or even 400 miles. Will see if SEA platform allows longer range than SPA2.

My future plan is stick to PHEV or range extender that will not burn gas for commuting and still drive long trip easily and freely.
EV is at best a second car at home.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They should build V90 with the battery pack and go 350 or even 400 miles. Will see if SEA platform allows longer range than SPA2.

My future plan is stick to PHEV or range extender that will not burn gas for commuting and still drive long trip easily and freely.
EV is at best a second car at home.
I agree. About 300 miles is my min for an BEV. In the meantime, a PHEV is a good idea. But I'll wait to see what the BEV XC90 range is.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree. About 300 miles is my min for an BEV. In the meantime, a PHEV is a good idea. But I'll wait to see what the BEV XC90 range is.
+1

Ditto for me, too. plus fast charging capability.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Reactions: Tostik
1 - 20 of 25 Posts