SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Urgent-buying decision] Newbie searching for a V60, looking for advice

Hi, i am new to the Volvo community. I have never owned a volvo in my life, but after the TDI scandal, my only option is the Volvo V60, and Mercedes E wagon.

I have been driving Subarus most of my life and love the reliability and versatility of the wagon . However, the outback is lowered version of the SUV which it is not appealing to me at all. I wish they still have the legacy wagon in the states.

So here i am, trying to get a used Volvo V60, i prefer the FWD because of the MPG. I drove 65 miles a day to work and it will be good to save some money on fuel. currently i am just looking at a base or premier trim level.

And i have a few questions for you guys.

how to tell the difference between a 15 & 15.5 model? And what additional feature is added on the 15.5M?
Any problem with the 15M so they rolled out the 15.5M?
Does the base version has the Halogen headlight?

I have seen some used V60 around me, they have only 8000-20000 miles on it, and sold by a Volvo dealership; but they are not CPO, does that mean they don't pass the volvo inspection? how important to get the CPO?

Any answer is appreciated, thank for your comment, and hopefully, i can learn as much before my purchase of my beloved wagon.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Welcome aboard. I will try to answer your questions and I'm sure others will chime in.

The main difference between the '15 and '15.5 is Sensus Connect infotainment system. It is more advanced than the prior system (standard nav, preloaded Pandora and other aps, wifi hotspot, smartphone enabled features like remote start, etc.) but requires a subscription after six months to keep many of these features.

There was no problem with the '15 that necessitated the rollout of the '15.5 - manufacturers do this from time to time when mid-year changes are substantive enough that model year should be a little different.

The base version has halogen headlights, which are not bad - the xenon lights are much better but only come on higher level trim packages.

Many of the lower mile used cars are retired service loaners - others are Volvo exec cars. They don't carry the CPO designation because it costs the selling dealer to offer that coverage. If you really wanted CPO coverage you can always ask the dealer and they should be able to get you a quote.

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I got 36.3 MPG on a trip from Tampa to SE TN and back last summer with the driveE, according to the (most say) optimistic trip computer. The 15.5 has some nice added features I don't have on my 15--those folks should chime in. I believe all have halogen headlights as base (don't all cars these days?) Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I posted the below in the other thread where you asked this:

Its important because its warranty coverage to 100k miles for around $2,000 additional, versus the 50k mile warrany on the ones you are looking at. They also have passed a rigorous inspection process, so they should in theory be a superior car. Whether its worth it to you or not depends on your driving situation. Are you going to put enough miles on in the 7 years to make the cost worth it or will you still have warranty left under the standard plan. Do you have enough disposable income to cover larger repairs between 50k & 100k? The answers to these and other questions will help you determine if its neccessary to get the CPO.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If a car isn't certified, it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't pass Volvo's inspection, it probably means the dealer chose not to put the car through the certification process. The certified warranty can be purchased as part of the deal usually. Volvo's certified warranty is one of the best in the business, so if you drive enough miles it is worth getting in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
While we're at it, can anyone speak to the experience of "CPO-ing" a dealer-offered non-CPO vehicle? Any hurdles? Approximate costs? Other issues worth knowing about before approaching a dealer with such a request?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my 2015 V60 in April from Carmax. It had 3000 miles and I am now up to 14,500 without having experienced any problems. Volvo will honor the free maintenance regardless of where you pruchased, so that is a plus. I had a very good experience with Carmax and would certainly buy from them again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, without seeing the car or just by VIN number, how can I identify if it is a 15.5 or 15m? Would it be more expensive for the 15.5 model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
If a car isn't certified, it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't pass Volvo's inspection, it probably means the dealer chose not to put the car through the certification process. The certified warranty can be purchased as part of the deal usually. Volvo's certified warranty is one of the best in the business, so if you drive enough miles it is worth getting in my opinion.
A car should be placed on the lot either as a CPO or non-CPO. The program stipulates that the CPO warranty should not be left "up in the air" or even used as a deal-making tool.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
So, without seeing the car or just by VIN number, how can I identify if it is a 15.5 or 15m?

Take a look at the VIN of the car advertised. Count to the 11th digit; if it is "1", it is a MY15. If it is a "2", then it is a MY15.5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a look at the VIN of the car advertised. Count to the 11th digit; if it is "1", it is a MY15. If it is a "2", then it is a MY15.5
Are you sure about this? i have checked out more than 15 cars on cars.com and i have never seen a 2 on 11th digit of the VIN. Not to question your knowledge, but for some reason, i have no luck finding a 15.5M using your method.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Are you sure about this? i have checked out more than 15 cars on cars.com and i have never seen a 2 on 11th digit of the VIN. Not to question your knowledge, but for some reason, i have no luck finding a 15.5M using your method.

Thanks
You are absolutely right and thanks for correcting me. I was comparing between MY15.5 and MY16.

The find out whether a car is a MY15 or a MY15.5 you will need to go to the 8th character of the 17-digit VIN; if the letter is anything from A through H, it is a MY15. If the letter falls between J and V, then it is a MY15.5.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for catching it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased a 2015 T5 with 18,000 kms (about 12,000 miles) from a dealer locally. The car was CPO'd to 160,000 kms but I didn't get the free maintenance that's normally included - according to the dealer, once the CPO certification has been done, car loses the free service included up to 80,000 kms. Can anyone confirm this?

The warranty was more important to me than the free service, but it would have been nice to have both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got it, thanks.

Anything i should especially check out for if i am looking at a used car.
I'm concerned that you'l have a tough time finding any used V60s anywhere near you! I did a search for the Volvo V60, Used and FWD on Cars.com and it only returned 102 cars in the entire country. Only six of those were classified as the Platinum trim, but there were over 50 of the 102 which didn't show a trim level but a few I saw were Platinums. Still, being so new, they're not easy to find used.

I want to share a few things I ran across in the Cars.com search results, but first I want to shre the 2015 and 2015.5 V60 brochures-

2015 V60 Brochure

2015.5 V60 Brochure

If all else fails and you get confused between 2015 and 2015.5 models, those brochures should help!

Here's my quick rundown fo the changes made for 2015.5 (sorry if these are redundant but a few things weren't mentioned by others and the only way I can do it is to just list it out...

-Sensus Connect Infortainment System added across the V60 line
-Power driver's seat lumbar support added to ddriver's seat on all V60 models
-12-speaker 650-watt Harman Kardon Audio System replaced the "Volvo Premium Sound System"; standard on Platinum, optional on all other trims
-The Technology Package became stadndrd on the Platinum trim level and optional on all other trims
-Active Dual-Xenon HID headlights made standard on 2015.5 Platinum but aren't availble on any lesser trim leaels. For the 2015, they were an $800 stand-alone option on every trim level. I question Volvo's wisdom in doing this because they did the same thing with the S60 and XC60.
-Navigaiton was added to the Premier trim level as standard.

And that's basically it. There was a trim level called Premier Plus that was dropped in 2015.5 on all Volvo models. So if you find a Premier Plus while you're looking, you'll know it's a 2015 and not a 2015.5.

2015 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
NEW (service loaner, so it will have some miles on it)
Crystal White Pearl w/ Soft Beige Leather
MSRP- $42,225
Asking- $31,991
Volvo of Phoenix
(does not have Xenons)

NEW (no miles), Crystal White Pearl with Soft Beige Leather
MSRP- $42,225
Asking- $32,732
Koons Volvo of Ownings Mills, MD
(no Xenons)

NEW, Bright Silver w/ Soft Beige Leather
MSRP- $42,225
Asking- $31,897
(no Xenons)
Bob Penkhus Volvo of Colorado Springs, CO

USED 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
"Volvo Executive Company Vehicle"
MSRP when NEW- $45,675
Asking- $34,988
Crystal White Pearl w/ Beechwood Brown & Off-Black Sport Leather
19" Sport Packge (19" BOR alloy wheels/tires, paddle shifters
BLIS (Blind Spot Information System, which includes Rear Cross-Traffic Alert)
Heated Front Seats
(includes Xenons, Harman Kardon audio, Technology Pkg)
Herb Chambers Volvo of Norwood (Dedham, MA)

And here's a bit of a wild card, because only the MSRP is llisted, but it oculd be a good eal with a large discount-

2015 Volvo V60 T5 Premier Plus
NEW- MSRP0 $42,520
Savile Grey w/ Soft Beige Leather
BLIS, Heated Front Seats
Active Dual-Xenon Headlights!
Clayton Volvo- Knoxville, TN

The very slightly used 2015.5 V60 T5 Platinum is my personal favorite. I am almost certain that it a Volvo CPO which inclueds the great (long) warranty coverage. The only question is how you like the Beechwood Brown and Off-Black interior? If you don't like it, try to be nice because i have the same interior in my S60. I also have the same 19" optional wheels that it has and they make the V60 look very sharp.

Something to keep in mind if you are looking at NEW 2015.5 or 2016 models-

You quality for a $1500 Conquest Cash Incentive if you currently own one of the following car makes-
Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Infiniti, Lexus, Nissan, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen

Most regions are offeirng 0% APR for up to 75 months from Volvo Finance N.A.

A few other thoughts to follow in separate email so I don't exceed max character limit!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help. Yah, it's hard to come by, knowing the 15.5m is a better value. I think I will give a try on my patient. The only problem buying new is the deprecitation

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So today i was looking the volvo dealership near me and i found a 15.5 V60 Premier FWD, come with all these packages
Premier
Premier ID
Blind Spot Information System Package
Blind Spot Information System & Cross Traffic Alert
V60 T5 Standard Features
Sim Card
Inscription Piano Black Admin Code
MY15 Admin
New MOMP ID
Accessory Prep Cable
Heated Front Seats
Keyless Drive

MSRP is $40,570
Discount price is $36,300
And i am qualify to get the conquest cash which is $1,500
So the final price of the vehicle is $34,800

Currently Volvo has V60 for 0% for 75 months.
So do you guys think it is a good price or can they come down more on price?

The only hesitation for me to buy new is, i know Volvo will depreciate quite alot for the first few years. So i am still debating if i should wait for a used one or a brand new.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Currently Volvo has V60 for 0% for 75 months.
So do you guys think it is a good price or can they come down more on price?
Damn is that regional? I can only find offers of 0%/60 mos on 2016's only at the northeastern dealers up my way. Also, often times calculated "discount prices" include conquest cash or loyalty bonus etc, so make sure to read the fine print. Not saying you didn't, but just something I noticed. Seems like you and I are in the same boat, and juggling a lot of the same questions--Used Vs. CPO Vs. New. I wish you good luck on your search!

Edit: After a lot of looking, I'm beginning to conclude that:

1. A 2015-or-newer CPO Volvo w/ low miles (sub 20K) is a really the best deal anyway you slice it
2. Followed by a still"new" 2015 w/ original factory warranty,
3. Ending with "regular" pre-owned 2015 w/ less than 10K miles and transferable factory warranty purchased from a well-respected dealer in your area.

Of course these are just my own feelings on the matter, but figured I'd share since its relevant to the topic at hand...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Damn is that regional? I can only find offers of 0%/60 mos on 2016's only at the northeastern dealers up my way. Also, often times calculated "discount prices" include conquest cash or loyalty bonus etc, so make sure to read the fine print. Not saying you didn't, but just something I noticed. Seems like you and I are in the same boat, and juggling a lot of the same questions--Used Vs. CPO Vs. New. I wish you good luck on your search!
Yah, the final price has been confirmed by a salesman. By mine is only a 15.5M, not a 16M. Also, i have been comparing with buying used and new, with the same down payment and trade in allowance, i will be paying 7k more buying new, a used car loan is shorter in length, but end up higher monthly payment because of the interest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 (not 2015.5) that was on the lot without CPO. They ended up throwing in the CPO warranty when I started negotiating (Keeping the price the same). CPO was the selling point for me as I plan on to keep the car for 10+ years. I don't care about the upgrades on the 2015.5 so I went with the best deal available.

I had another Volvo dealer call me the other day and he mentioned that Volvo raising the loyalty and conquest programs an extra $500 to $2k soon - so if you're buying a new car, I'd ask when this offer is available.

GL!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts