SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've admired the 1800's since seeing them vintage race in the early 90's, and now I'm starting to look for another project. Ideally, I'd like a driving car that I can improve and repair while enjoying it. I've built 2 cars in the past, though quite different than the Volvo (1942 chevy street rod, 1972 Pontiac Lemans), so not too much intimidates me. I'm not in a rush, and not particular about year or options. I will not keep the vehicle stock (not a fan of points, like lowered cars and aluminum wheels). I've set myself a budget of $10k to get started. I'm in the Buffalo, NY area.

Am I correct in thinking that a car with little rust should be the priority? It seems like there are plenty of parts cars on ebay for $2000 or so, but I'm not looking for a ground up project.

I've read that these cars are very reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles. Any reason to be scared of this one, with 225,000 miles on it?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5248773382.html

Like I said, I'm not in a rush (I still need to convince my wife that I need another car). I just want to get up to speed on these cars, so that I don't jump too quickly at the wrong car.

Thanks for any advice.

Have fun,
Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm an Amazon guy, but for $2k that seems like a pretty straight runner/driver. If the rust situation is as good as he claims, seems like it would be a great place to start...

Everything in the B18/20 drivetrain is built like it was meant for a tractor that would see hard Swedish winter use. 5 main bearings, beefy castings all around... and mechanical parts are generally available. Some fiddly trim bits are the harder items to find "new".

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
That's a fair price for the car as it's represented. You can count on replacing the rockers, and also the section inboard of them. Check the box sections under the floor inboard of the rockers, which are also prone to rust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. Based on my limited experience, the price seemed about right.

For a 40+ year old car, can it be expected to plan on replacing rockers and other rust repair, or could better cars be found in the $8k-$10k range?

Have fun,
Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
If it hasn't ever been hit, you probably won't do much better. It has clearly been well looked after during its life, as reflected in the clean and unmolested engine compartment, mileage is low (225K miles in 45 years is nothing), and if the rust is as limited as the owner says, it looks to me like a pretty good deal. You could certainly could do a whole lot worse. lf I were you I wouldn't hesitate too long, and then regret it later. You might want to probe a little on the price (point out the rust and any other flaws you can find), and try to get it for $6500 or $7,000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts