SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was refered here for information and advice on a hopeful purchase. I have found a 2005 v70r, 170k miles, automatic 5 speed. Looks very clean and is for sale through a reputable dealer.

I am getting this vehicle because I love wagons. I only drive around 5k per year, have a work vehicle for my commute. This would essentially be to get around and grocery shop lol. No plans to mod, only to maintain and enjoy.

What should I be concerned with? What should I look for? Is 170k miles too many? I am a Toyota guy and tbh, high miles don't usually scare me away from a vehicle, but I am not a Volvo guy...yet lol.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I was refered here for information and advice on a hopeful purchase. I have found a 2005 v70r, 170k miles, automatic 5 speed. Looks very clean and is for sale through a reputable dealer.

I am getting this vehicle because I love wagons. I only drive around 5k per year, have a work vehicle for my commute. This would essentially be to get around and grocery shop lol. No plans to mod, only to maintain and enjoy.

What should I be concerned with? What should I look for? Is 170k miles too many? I am a Toyota guy and tbh, high miles don't usually scare me away from a vehicle, but I am not a Volvo guy...yet lol.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.
I too am a wagon guy. I've owned a continuous series of them going back to the 80's including three prior Volvos (245, 740 Turbo, V70 T5, and now the 2005 V70R I've had for about three years, and bought with about 110K on the odo. Love the car BUT....my two biggest complaints are 1.) the ride, and 2.) the wide turning radius makes parking and maneuvering a challenge. I am also experiencing gremlins in the adjustable chassis (but it's a daily driver so not a big deal) and an occasional clunk in the auto trans. Haven't figured that one out either -- through the local Volvo dealer or my favorite independent. It hasn't become a major issue so I guess it's just an idiosyncrasy of that tranny.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You should check the following:
1. White smoke on cold start/misfires, this is indicative of cracked cylinder sleeves which typically requires a new engine. You can also buy a block test kit to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06VVBSFTF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image)
2. Do a PCV test with a rubber glove over the oil cap flange. If it inflates, the PCV needs serviced.
3. Check that the AWD is working correctly. Jack it up and all four wheels should rotate when in gear and running.
4. Check that the 4C suspension is working properly (chassis controls: comfort, sport and advance).
Scan the car with Vida if there is someone local willing to help you out.
I'm sure there are more things to check and the rest of the group can jump in.

340k on my 2004 V70R, good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my ECU

·
Registered
390 Posts
They are excellent cars IF well maintained. Learn how to do your own work or pay thousands a year to have someone do it for you. I recommend the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts