SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently changing my spark plugs and I have a dial torque wrench that goes from 0 to 50 ft lbs. The spark plugs need to be torqued to 20 ft lbs. This is my first time using a torque wrench so I wanted to make sure I am using it correctly.

When I go to torque down the plugs, I cant get the full 20 ft lbs in one turn due to clearance issues so I have to take the wrench off of the socket adapter and start again. I can get to about 10 ft lbs before I have to take it off. Once I place the wrench in the socket adapter, do I continue to tighten until it reads 20 ft lbs, or do I only go until it reads 10 ft lbs since I have already torqued it down to 10 ft lbs.

I know this is a newb question :facepalm: but thanks for you help.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can you post a picture of the wrench or a link? It doesn't sounds like what I'm using...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I've never seen this type so I'm reluctant to tell you one way or the other...
Does it go back to zero when you remove the wrench? Is there a lock feature?
Usually you torque until you reach the torque number since the torque is not from the wrench but from how tight the bolt is so if you remove the wrench it should go back to zero unless you have a lock feature which typically is just there to give you time to read. It just holds the nidle to the last highest torque number. That said I have never used*this type.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
You torque it till the wrench reads 20 ft-lb no matter how many starts and stops you get. It's not additive.

Basically if you turn the wrench to 10 ft-lb again the plug will not move, because it's already there.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Also, you may want to pay attention to the handle of the thing, as in the actual 4" or so of wrench that is made for your hand. Mine is "pinned", like the handle can swivel a few degrees either way, independent of the rest of the wrench. If yours is the same, you want to keep that handle "floating" without touching the handle to the rest of the wrench.

If that don't make no sense, uh, sorry. Just write it off as me being overly precise. I can try again with pics if need be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up, mine seems pretty solid but it's still good info for someone else with a similar wrench.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts