SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo's sure way to increase market share in the US. I like it. I would buy one.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Volvo's sure way to increase market share in the US. I like it. I would buy one.

Overall, not that bad. However I think that the A pillar should be a little steeper. I am pretty sure both ford and GM tried this with their SUV's and they mostly failed. Also GM and Ford tried this in the 70's and it failed too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overall, not that bad. However I think that the A pillar should be a little steeper. I am pretty sure both ford and GM tried this with their SUV's and they mostly failed. Also GM and Ford tried this in the 70's and it failed too.
You're upsetting me. I want this to be a possibility.

·
Registered
719 Posts
unfortunately w/out an 8' bed and the ability to haul 1 ton or more...not really useful as a truck. I would still want one though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
unfortunately w/out an 8' bed and the ability to haul 1 ton or more...not really useful as a truck. I would still want one though.
I'm not too sure about that. Where I live in middle Tennessee near horse country and where lots of the entertainers live in the rural areas trying to out-do one another with a front entry gate bigger than the next guy, I think these would sell well to the "suburban cowboy" who just wants to haul a little firewood now and then, a few bales of hay or some feed, or perhaps a big dog (and then run into Leipers Fork http://www.visitleipersfork.com/ for lunch at the Country Boy and a six-pack of beer). Would be fun for light duty use, and of course, if you really want one then you can build one for yourself...........hmmmm...........now that is interesting.

Of course, out here in God's Country we do know what a real truck is, and I did say "light duty" for the XC90. This particular vehicle can actually climb a tree (in idle).

regards,

P

·
Registered
668 Posts
Of course, out here in God's Country we do know what a real truck is, and I did say "light duty" for the XC90. This particular vehicle can actually climb a tree (in idle).

It looks like the Branco did a little more than just climb the tree. Darn thing fell the tree, limbed it, chopped it and loaded it in the back. That is one impressive "truck"

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It looks like the Branco did a little more than just climb the tree. Darn thing fell the tree, limbed it, chopped it and loaded it in the back. That is one impressive "truck"
It is not apparent from that first photo but that is about 100-feet above the highway, and about 100-feet below the house. We used the 2.5 XC90 to haul a boat up that driveway and it did the job, but barely with the foot to the floor, unable to get enough revs to really use the turbo and we thought we were going to break something. We picked up this 1989 Bronco with high/low range transfer case, 351W, and it would pull the same load in low range 4WD literally almost in idle. The XC90 has a lot of utility, but that kind of hauling (and this king of firewood gathering) is not well suited for the XC90.

The big Ford is a pretty impressive piece of "farm equipment". Not real good at interstate speeds, and around 10-mpg when towing a boat :)

Regards,

P

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

At this point in the series it would be fun if Volvo would actually produce something like this. There are plenty of other light "trucks" like this already on the market, and I see some of them out in the hinterlands from time to time, along with some trucks that would make my Bronco look whimpy. I think they could sell a lot of them to the suburban-sorta-gentleman-farmer-rancher dudes and their wives for general rural family type chores.

The body on the XC is obviously engineered to provide support to the pan, and that would require some pretty serious welding to compensate for the removal of the roof section that comes down at the bumper, should someone actually be thinking about taking a torch to an XC and building one for themselves. :)

P

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
chevy and ford gave up on the light duty car/truck years ago. holden currently makes an el camino, and gm isnt importing it because the demand isnt there (they are bringing back the G8 sedan as a chevy SS, so demand for a powerul sedan is there). americans want big trucks. compare a f150 of today to one from the early 70s. makes the early 70s look like a luv truck.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Honda is making one now but I would use that as a good example. And come to think of it, I don't see many on the road either. The Volvo version of the same thing would appeal to an entirely different market though.

P

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
VW also made one, didn't they?
vw and dodge. vw on the rabbit, and dodge with the omni o24. problem with a fwd pickup is when you load the bed the front end lifts. not the best for traction! vw also made one out of the transporter. seinfeld's is in his new series when he picks up michael richards.

Honda is making one now but I would use that as a good example. And come to think of it, I don't see many on the road either. The Volvo version of the same thing would appeal to an entirely different market though.

P
what different market? honda abandoned the ridgeline after one series. volvo, the company that caters to women is suddenly going to take a women's station wagon, put a truck bed in it, and men are going to flock over? Only if the sky is not blue when the person who OKs that looks in the mirror. the volvo market is not much different than the honda market.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks Cool.

The values of the XC'S are dropping , I can see good XC'S for under $5,000 in the near future.
Find one with a little roof damage and were talking a few thousand.

For a few thousand get the saw zaw out and have the 1st elcamino XC on the block.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Looks Cool.

The values of the XC'S are dropping , I can see good XC'S for under $5,000 in the near future.
Find one with a little roof damage and were talking a few thousand.

For a few thousand get the saw zaw out and have the 1st elcamino XC on the block.
lots of XC90s in this demographic and the surrounding counties, some but not many Hondas, but the hood is crawling wiyh XC90s. You could sell '90 PUs here. Someone tell Einstein you can still buy a Ridgeline, the market is spparently there, but people at least around here think a Volvo is upmarket from a Honda. Personally there will never be a Honda in my driveway, not interested, but the idea of a Volvo sport truck is interesting.

BTW I have a lot of TR6 parts, including the 3 DCOE carb setup, transmission, and motor if you need anything ! Only problem, they can be made to go fast but handling is their weakness. I would still like to have another one, loved my 1973 OD hardtop :)

http://m.homes.com/Home-Prices/37215/

P

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Search is your friend Mr. Goddard.
By: Rick Kranz, Automotive News on 9/09/2011

The Honda Ridgeline is a good example of what happens when an automaker abandons a model.

After much fanfare with its introduction in 2005, little was done to upgrade the mid-sized pickup. Ridgeline's plummeting sales are no surprise considering the lack of sheet metal changes and significant engineering improvements over the seven-year period.

The pickup's best year was 2006 when 50,193 sales were tallied. After that point, it's been all down hill. Last year, sales for the 12-month period totaled a 16,142, a 2 percent drop from the previous year. This year's sales through August nosedived 49 percent, to 5,776 vehicles.

While the Honda Ridgeline does not fill everyone's pickup needs, nor was it intended to so, it is a credible pickup. Despite the fact that it was developed off a front-drive platform, it has a 1,500-pound-plus payload capacity and tows up tow 5,000 pounds. Four-wheel drive is standard.

And, from what I hear, Ridgeline owners like the pickup, especially the towing capability, the ride, the handling, and the standard tailgate that swings down or to the side like a door.

Honda doesn't talk about future products. But Automotive News reported last month that the Honda Ridgeline will be discontinued in about two years. Based on conversations with industry sources, the story said a smaller pickup is under consideration, derived from the Honda CR-V platform.

Presuming less payload and towing capacity than the Ridgeline, I can't imagine why a smaller pickup based on a front-drive platform would be a more successful product formula for Honda.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110909/carnews/110909864#ixzz2Dodk6vsL
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110909/CARNEWS/110909864

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
what different market? honda abandoned the ridgeline after one series.
Looks like you need to read that stuff yourself. The article "anticipates" discontinuation (twice) "in about two years". By then they will be cdlling it domething else.

At least with the negative whining you introduced to this thread, hopefully you can agree the Honda Ridgeline was built for how many years, lol.

The point being, a Volvo version would be fun ( for everyone but negative whiners) and hit an upmarket from Honda but below Range Rover. Do a search, they still make the Range Rover too. Hang around here long enough and stay such a nice and polite camper, youll learn more about cars, knot tying, and understand the cup is half full.

Cheers

P

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Looks like you need to read that stuff yourself. The article "anticipates" discontinuation (twice) "in about two years". By then they will be cdlling it domething else.

At least with the negative whining you introduced to this thread, hopefully you can agree the Honda Ridgeline was built for how many years, lol.

The point being, a Volvo version would be fun ( for everyone but negative whiners) and hit an upmarket from Honda but below Range Rover. Do a search, they still make the Range Rover too. Hang around here long enough and stay such a nice and polite camper, youll learn more about cars, knot tying, and understand the cup is half full.

Cheers

P
One series, the next one on a much smaller platform, sounds to me like they are abandoning the product. too bad you want to interpret facts as impolite whining. take a look in the mirror. volvo and honda sell to basically the same market, with the exception being that volvo is and always has catered more to the female species that prefers being coddled in wagons over macho trucks like the ridgeline. The article is one year old, the ridgeline is almost as stale as the xc90, and honda is abandoning it for a much smaller vehicle if any vehicle. looks to me like they are just making enough to cover the hump until they either get a new product, or abandon the project alltogether. reminds me of the 968, only with the 968 they threw on new sheetmetal, a novel head, and an easier clutch replacement.

Honda doesn't talk about future products. But Automotive News reported last month that the Honda Ridgeline will be discontinued in about two years. Based on conversations with industry sources, the story said a smaller pickup is under consideration, derived from the Honda CR-V platform.

Presuming less payload and towing capacity than the Ridgeline, I can't imagine why a smaller pickup based on a front-drive platform would be a more successful product formula for Honda.
i wouldnt call one product cycle a great success. "more successful" - such a relative term.

how long till you and tostick conquer the world? I'm done, I must to stop feeding trolls.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well please dont go away mad.

The honda apparently will be a 8 or 9 year run if snd when something happens, but I suspect it will continue under the same name much like the Mustang did, only to live again in slightly different form. A Volvo sport truck would be cool, especially with that great XC90 look. Would be great if they added a low range transfer case that could be shared with the XC90.

Doing a DIY conversion would require some serious attention to the pan.

P

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...how long till you and tostick conquer the world? I'm done, I must to stop feeding trolls.
Touchy, isn't he? A great example of a BMW stereotype.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts