SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. I have been following this forum for the past several months prior-to and through the process of ordering our new XC90 from which the information available has been invaluable.

First off, it's a beautiful vehicle (Ember Black Metallic, Inscription, Charcoal Interior) and drives wonderfully.

Unfortunately, we have had one issue that has arisen since the first time the vehicle was pressure washed. The vehicle was switched off but left unlocked in the car wash bay. Approximately 30-60 seconds after commencing washing the vehicle with the pressure wash wand, the side view mirrors began folding and unfolding at a frequency of approximately once per 6-9 seconds and the passenger side turn signal (on the outside edge of the passenger mirror) flashed intermittently. Inside the vehicle, we noticed that the panoramic roof mesh sunshade moved automatically from the open to closed position (the outside temperature was 10 degrees C so no concern of the automatic closure due to increased heat). After washing, I have noticed that the passenger side view camera is not functioning (in the 360 view, the passenger side is blacked out). This is the second time this has happened (second time washing the vehicle), although during the first occurrence, I was unable to unfold the passenger side view mirror electrically until the vehicle had dried out. I have yet to attempt methodically wetting separate areas of the car to assess at which point the mirrors begin their auto-folding.

Has anyone had any similar electrical issues during washing/driving in the rain?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight into the problem. I am going to try to take the vehicle to the dealership this week.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'd get it to the dealer immediately - sounds like water is getting into the electrical system somehow.

May have done some real damage.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Was the vehicle just hit with the wand along the sides? Was any water sprayed over the top of the vehicle so that it might have leaked in through the sunroof area?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Spoke with the dealer today. They are going to have a look at it tomorrow. Everything is functioning normally now that the vehicle is dried out. It seems as though the problem only occurs while the vehicle is freshly wet.

I started the wash from the driver's side of the vehicle, followed by the top, then counter-clockwise around. I noticed the problem by the time I got around to the passenger's side. Fortunately so far, no water noticed inside the vehicle around the sunroof area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Almost this exact same scenario happened to me this morning. No evidence of water inside, but mirrors folded in and out while locking and unlocking the vehicle and the sun shade closed inside the vehicle. Very curious situation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
The folding/unfolding was most likely caused by water pressure hitting the lock sensors in the door handles. When I was my car and I am rinsing off with the house and it hits the sensors the car locks and unlocks. Not sure if the sensor is mechanical or polirized. Anyways I just put the key away when rinsing off the car and that solves it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The folding/unfolding was most likely caused by water pressure hitting the lock sensors in the door handles. When I was my car and I am rinsing off with the house and it hits the sensors the car locks and unlocks. Not sure if the sensor is mechanical or polirized. Anyways I just put the key away when rinsing off the car and that solves it.
Same here. When I wash the car with the keys in my pocket and water gets on the door handles the mirrors fold and unfold. Now I haven't had the issue with the sunroof closing or the camera not working, but the folding I can attest to. And I think it's just the same sensors that lock and unlock the door so I haven't been too worried.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same here. When I wash the car with the keys in my pocket and water gets on the door handles the mirrors fold and unfold. Now I haven't had the issue with the sunroof closing or the camera not working, but the folding I can attest to. And I think it's just the same sensors that lock and unlock the door so I haven't been too worried.
Ditto.
It would be nice to have a setting to switch of the sensors when washing the vehicle.
If the key is left in the car with the doors closed, would it lock the doors automatically after a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Never would have thought of water activating the lock/unlock but makes sense. Thanks for the info!

In any case, the dealer is going to have a look at it today during the Sensus update as there still is the issue with the passenger side view camera not functioning after washing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost this exact same scenario happened to me this morning. No evidence of water inside, but mirrors folded in and out while locking and unlocking the vehicle and the sun shade closed inside the vehicle. Very curious situation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely a 'curious situation'! I'll post if anything comes from the visit to the dealership today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just read this in the Owner's Manual:

"To close any windows or the panoramic roof* when locking the vehicle, hold the pressure sensitive area for several seconds until closing begins."

My thought is that perhaps water flowing over the keyless locking sensor while washing the vehicle triggers this feature. My logic is that having the panoramic roof closed while washing, the system may close the sunshade instead. Just a thought. Still doesn't explain the passenger side view camera blackout post-wash.

Also, confirmed with a colleague who owns a new V60 that he has the same issue with the vehicle locking/unlocking while washing the vehicle and having the key in his pocket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts