SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am now a proud owner of a momentum plus, crystal white/amber interior XC90 with the convenience, vision, upgraded 20" wheels and climate packages. I thought I would share a few of my new owner impression about things that I have not seen too much discussion about in these forums. I previously owned a 2011 T6 XC60 and the XC90 is better in every way. For a frame of reference about delivery times, I ordered my car on May 27th and it was delivered on Oct 14 (ETA was 10/10/15). I live in Denver, CO so it did have to be transported from the port pretty far (the car arrived in California).

1. Interior: I have the burnt birch wood inlays with the amber interior and I think the combo with the amber leather goes very well together. The colors compliment each other well and it does not appear too busy.

2. Exterior: I purchased the cross bars. Up until now i have not seen how they look on a momentum vehicle with the different side rails than R-type and Inscription models. The cross load bars are similar to those found on VW as they are elevated from the side rail bars. I have driven at highway speeds and I have not noticed any extra wind noise whatsoever. Overall they look very sturdy and of high quality. I love the look of the 20" wheels and already have received several compliments on how good they look with the crystal white paint.

3. Ride Quality: I do not have the air suspension and I will say that I personally don't feel much of a difference between how my car rides compared to the air suspension models. For a frame of reference, the XC90 rides pretty much as firmly as the XC60 that I owned, but impact harshness is much less in the XC90. If your expectation is a marshmallowy ride, then this car will probably not be a good fit for you. I love how agile the XC90 drives and it feels like a smaller more nimble car than the XC60 even though it is much larger. I waffled about getting the air suspension when ordering, but now that I have driven the standard suspension more extensively I am happy with my choice.

4. Sound system: I did not order the upgraded B&W system and I was worried the base system would be mediocre. In my opinion, the base sound system is also excellent. It is definitely better than the XC60 that I had and it is better than any other car that I have owned or ridden in.

5. Navgation system/Voice control/Sensus: I have seen a lot of negativity surrounding the initial usability of these features. I think the Navigation system has some nice features and is overall pretty intuitive. My frame of reference includes previous ownership of Honda/Acura products with navigation and VW's with navigation. I will say that the graphics and user interface on the XC90's navigation is better and much more intuitive than my wife's 2015 accord hybrid. It is true that voice recognition does not work well inputting addresses. I have not been successful inputting any addreses through the voice commands. The voice commands however have worked 95%-100% of the time when used for making phone calls and switching between multimedia sources. I also have an android phone (samsung galaxy s6) and I am pleased to report that the car will receive messages and read them to you when plugged into the USB port. The only thing i would like to see in an upgrade is a search function for music that is streamed via bluetooth. I can see all of my music files stored on my phone, but i must tediously scroll through them to find what i want. I have not been able to figure this out yet and I think it is an omitted feature. I would appreciate if anyone has found the work around.

5. Glitches: All the software seems to be running pretty smoothly so far. I did notice the problem with missing sirius stations randomly. This was resolved with when I restarted the car. I also have not been able to get VOC connected and I plan on bringing into the dealership for some assistance. It currently states that my VIN# and PIN# are incorrect when using the App even though they are correct. Otherwise the car is solid as a tank, the doors close with a high quality thud and there are no cabin squeaks or door rattles even with high volume music playing.

Overall, I am so excited to finally have this car in my possession. It is excellent in every way that a family hauling crossover needs to be and it is a seriously bad-ass technological tour-de-force. The car's software is upgradable so software glitches will continuously be ironed out. The software glitches that I have experienced are very minor annoyances and on par with software glitches I have experienced with other car manufacturers systems. I think many of the people who have negative views of the car have not read the instruction manual or are miffed because the way that Volvo has designed some features of this car does differ from other manufactures. I wouldn't look at it as inferior, but just different and that is what attracts me to the brand as Volvo's "differentness" adds to the charm of the vehicle. I would not let some of the negativity expressed on this board deter any people interested in this car as the pros still far outweigh any cons and I look forward to may years of driving pleasure with this car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations on your new dream car! It has so many great features and will take a while to get familiar with. Share your excitement!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Great review and congratulations! The color combination and choice of wheels are fantastic.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I was very interested in your thoughts as my order is very similar to yours.....many thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Great to hear the firsthand impressions. Thanks!

Otherwise the car is solid as a tank, the doors close with a high quality thud and there are no cabin squeaks or door rattles even with high volume music playing.
I'm looking to getting back to this Volvo quality more than anything. After 4 months without our XC70 (and stuck in a Highlander instead). I have a new appreciation...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for your input! Now we just need to see some pictures! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
If don't know how to post pictures on this forum. Anybody know how?
I just upload my pictures to imgur.com Then i come here and click on the 'insert image' icon and paste the copied URL to the image(s) on imgur that I just uploaded.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great review dieseldoc. Thanks for your insight.

You wrote that you did not notice much difference between the spring vs air suspension. Did you get a chance to test them both prior to purchasing it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the dealer demo that I test drove prior to ordering my car was fully loaded and was equipped with the air suspension. I drove the demo in both comfort and dynamic modes

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, the dealer demo that I test drove prior to ordering my car was fully loaded and was equipped with the air suspension. I drove the demo in both comfort and dynamic modes
Thanks DD. Do you feel much difference between dynamic and comfort?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks DD. Do you feel much difference between dynamic and comfort?
Yes, the throttle mapping is more aggressive and the steering gets heavier. I am not sure about the brakes. I am not sure how anyone can say this car has sluggish acceleration as I have read some comment on. It feels almost as fast if not as fast as my old T6 XC60 which was no slouch.

·
Registered
260 Posts
How does the suspension feel? When you test drove the air suspension, did you notice much difference between the two mode? I suppose some of the difference will be in the throttle mapping and steering too I guess, which is why it still feels sufficiently different with spring suspension.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How does the suspension feel? When you test drove the air suspension, did you notice much difference between the two mode? I suppose some of the difference will be in the throttle mapping and steering too I guess, which is why it still feels sufficiently different with spring suspension.
I couldn't tell that much of a difference with the air suspension between dynamic and comfort on the road that I test drove on because it was pretty smooth and I couldn't really test the vehicle dynamics fully.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live in England right now, and the road can be pretty bad here :). One telltale sign is that in the models sent to India, ALL of them gets air suspension standard. Spring is not even an option :p.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone else really impressed with the xc90 headlights? In auto mode they are superb casting a shadow on other traffic while lighting up dark roads? Pity auto mode does not stay engaged when you switch off the car...

I did not opt for the B&W sound, but added the sub woofer. When you adjust the settings correctly, the sound is very good. My only problem is I can advance tracks on my Ipod from the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts