SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new to Volvo, never too late to start right? Over the years I've always been eyeing the classics and admiring the great milage count. For some reason it never came to owning a Volvo up until now. Our old car needed desperately replacement and the whole family wanted to revert back to our love/hate Chevrolet Trans Sport. Since I do the dirty work I desperately looked around for a car that would meet the same "demands" (7 seater with some space left) and be within budget. I do love the Chevvy for it's space and versatillity. Also, nobody wants the car so budget wise it's fine. Problem is that there are hardly any left and for a reason. I looked at the XC90 many times and it has everything going for it, provided you stay away from the V6 and maybe the V8 as well. But then there is budget. I tend to buy a car on the low end of the market (very low), do all maintenance myself if possible (I have no garage or anything to work with so all has to be done out in the open on level ground) and usually hope to get around 4 years (or 100000 km's) out of the car before it's written off. Budget was a problem, there's plenty around but not within my price range. On top of that, cars 15 years of age and over here in Holland are in demand because of a tax arrangement (for business owners) that is quite lucrative. So I had no options here. I went to LA on holiday and saw some great cars but after shipping/import and tax still not interesting. Found a great shipping company though, maybe some day... So eventually I decided I needed to be in Sweden for this car. Plenty around, usually well maintained and they keep good records. There are some Dutch importers that are buying up all cars there and shipping them to Holland but you pay double price here. I had to be there to beat them so I bought a one way ticket to Stockholm, found a very cheap car and drove it back. It was a complete gamble. I had to change tires in Denmark (it was on spikes) but I had four spares that came with. Drove nearly 2000 km's without any problem (apart from parking brake, that I knew). Car has had proper maintenance and most problems that do occur have been fixed. It has high milage but the wear that comes with that has been dealt with. Only the interior is also worn. That I can live with and it's also easy fix. So now I'm a Volvo owner, got Dice and Vida, have only known problems popping up (air quality sensor, rear windshield wiper and the parking brake) Fixed the MAF sensor and now going to install aftermarket radio including rear and front camera. Next thing on the list is a powerflush for the gears and fixing the parking brake (renew backing plate and springs)

The manufacturer of the head unit asked me to make a video or guide instaling the aftermarket head unit. If I record it I will share it here as well. It's here that I got most info on how to do it in the first place ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts