SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2500 miles and we need to tow the vehicle to the dealer for repair. Frustrated. Anyway, if you climb in, a warning is flashing about parking break needing service. I acknowledge the message and then a red Park light flashes up by the lane monitor icon. Engine won't turn over or start at all. Radio and all other functions seem fine. Called dealer and they said they had one that did the same thing....which worries me because I don't think MN has sold THAT many XC90's already. He said that one had given no error codes and they disconnected the battery and reset it and the car has been fine since. Not sure if that is my same remedy but I will let you all know what I find. It sucks that you can't start it so it leaves you stranded. Not a good experience.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That's a bummer. Sorry to hear that. I hope it's the last issue you have. I would not be happy myself if it occurred to me.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cars today are like computers of the 90's: lots of strange warnings and annoyances, and Ctl-Alt-Del is always there ready to reset everything. I guess the good news is that, it is much easier to fix these issues by software upgrades. So that's why I decided to buy the first year model because to me, the 2018 model = 2016 model + software updates. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe try just disconnecting the battery first then?
Yep. So after waiting for the tow truck for three hours (thanks Volvo On Call for selecting a real winner there) I took matters into my own hands eventhough I don't think buying a 70k vehicle i should have to. I called a friend and we first tried jumping the starter battery (the one in the engine bay) as since it wasn't starting that was the first try. Nothing happened. I then went to the primary battery in the trunk and disconnected the negative battery cable. Waiting 2 mins and reconnected. The car was then able to start. So I will still bring it in and I'm sure they will find nothing but worth trying. I guess one should just carry a socket with them to disconnect the battery.....

I sure hope you can figure this out Volvo.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well glad it started at least. I agree you shouldn't have to- I got a flat one evening and since it was dark and I knew I had to go to the dealer for replacement anyway, I called Volvo on call. Same as you, 3 hours later I just put the spare on myself and drove home. This is in NYC where there is no shortage of tow trucks. On call also told me they wouldn't tow to my preferred dealer (preferred because my tire warranty is with them) because it was "out of range" meaning greater than 30 miles. The dealership is 18 miles away. I said fine I'll take the tow to wherever you say, and it just never came. Not a great experience.

My dealer did sort it out the next day, no questions asked, and I could have just popped the spare on immediately so I didn't bother making a stink but this just reminded me of that, hence my suggestion.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Cars today are like computers of the 90's: lots of strange warnings and annoyances, and Ctl-Alt-Del is always there ready to reset everything. I guess the good news is that, it is much easier to fix these issues by software upgrades. So that's why I decided to buy the first year model because to me, the 2018 model = 2016 model + software updates. :)
It's so easy for folks to say, "I'll wait for the future," and they put no value (apparently) on the joy that they will miss by not driving a new car for the next two years (or however long). For many many owners, the joy they get from driving a new car outweighs any hassles that come from the first year. Honestly, I trust the judgment of people who ACTUALLY put their own money down than the rest of us who sit on the sidelines and say, "I'd just wait"

99% of the folks who say "I'd just wait" aren't ready to buy a new car, anyway, so.....$ talks, bullcrap walks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry adp, I think some of these folks have it right. To drop 60, 70K on a car that will spend more time in the dealer than your driveway is not good. I would not be happy. What concerns me is a 4cyl motor hauling all that weight. Yes, it has the super charger and turbo. But I would think that it would add more stress to the motor. I think they should have used a 6cyl motor, make it more efficient improve it overall and use that. I'm really interested in seeing how reliable the 4cyl motor will be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, I think I'm more upset with my Volvo dealer for what seems to be lack of concern for the issue we are experiencing. When my wife initially called (she forgot to use On Call) they were like you can drop it off, but we have no replacement vehicles for you. When she called me, I called them back and demanded they find us some form of transportation as I am gone for my job frequently and we can't go without a car with 2 young kids in school. When we had our BMW X3 they never made excuses, they found a vehicle. I just think THIS dealer experience is what separates the ownership experience of a German automobile company from Volvo. Volvo needs to reign in their dealers and at least pretend to be a premium auto brand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry adp, I think some of these folks have it right. To drop 60, 70K on a car that will spend more time in the dealer than your driveway is not good. I would not be happy. What concerns me is a 4cyl motor hauling all that weight. Yes, it has the super charger and turbo. But I would think that it would add more stress to the motor. I think they should have used a 6cyl motor, make it more efficient improve it overall and use that. I'm really interested in seeing how reliable the 4cyl motor will be.
+1 I am willing and able to plunk down cash for a vehicle but I am not willing to own one that is having the problems to the extent this first year model is experiencing. This is the admission for those who are brave enough to buy the first year of a redesign. You guys are pioneers and most of you are very patient with the resolution to these issues. Again, the outcome is a better XC90 each MY as Volvo works out the kinks.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sorry adp, I think some of these folks have it right. To drop 60, 70K on a car that will spend more time in the dealer than your driveway is not good. I would not be happy. What concerns me is a 4cyl motor hauling all that weight.
I don't think any of the initial problems so far have been related to the engine itself (asides from performance gripes). The main issue seems to be tons of electrical/software glitches.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I own and DD my new '16 XC90.
The only issue my car has had was with software which has since been updated (in 2 days.) Past that hickup the car has really been a dream. My dealer is also a small town customer service oriented group... this makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Good Morning Pattyweb, the comment I made about the engine is more of longevity. It's a lot of work for a 4cyl motor. I'm really curious to see how it will hold up 5, 10, 15 years from now. I'm new to Volvo, I love my 2012 S60. I ask the question. I've heard that the 5cyl T5 motor is bullet proof, why not take that motor and improve upon on it? I don't know how well the 3.2L and 3.0L have been, but again take it and improve it. I've been wrong in the past and I will be wrong in the future also. I still think a 4cyl for such a large SUV is too small. I love the looks the interior almost everything about the XC90. I hope I can own one... one day.

·
Banned
763 Posts
I don't think any of the initial problems so far have been related to the engine itself (asides from performance gripes). The main issue seems to be tons of electrical/software glitches.
Agreed, although that's more than frustrating by itself (especially given the original XC90's propensity for electrical mayhem).

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts