SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed on the volvo build site for USA today they now have FWD models without the 3rd row, also has way less horse power 250 hp.

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts
Wonder how they "detune" the 4 cylinder engine for only 250hp? Omit the supercharger and just go with a turbo four?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Probably dropping the supercharger requires a smaller turbine turbo to improve throttle response - trade off less boost and less power. The supercharger likely allows a larger turbo that would have tremendous lag while it spools up. Think of 80s low compression engines with single turbos.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
30MPG (EPA combined is it?), that is very good for such a big car. I am amazed!

But fueleconomy.gov says 22/26/24 for XC90 FWD (T5 or T6 not sure?)

·
Registered
702 Posts
The T5 Intro Package offered on the 250hp model is a pretty useful mix of options for $1,800:
- Full LED Headlights w/Auto Bending Lights/Active High Beams, Headlight High-Pressure Cleaning
- Blind Spot Information System & Cross Traffic Alert
- Automatically Dimmed Inner & Exterior Mirrors
- Retractable Rear-view Mirrors

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love the power my T6 has, though. I don't think I'd go to FWD on an SUV, especially living in MN. If I were living elsewhere, I could see myself considering it.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Wonder how they "detune" the 4 cylinder engine for only 250hp? Omit the supercharger and just go with a turbo four?
Yes. It is the same T5 Drive-E engine found in the other Volvos today but tuned with 10 additional HP.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yes. It is the same T5 Drive-E engine found in the other Volvos today but tuned with 10 additional HP.
Is that what the old terms "high pressure turbo" and "low pressure turbo" referred to? Tuning for high or low-end impact? So T6 has the equivalent of HPT, while T5 has LPT?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
T6 should be supercharged, with an electric turbo. T5 is not. The low pressure charge was a variation on old 2.5L turbo machine I think.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Is that what the old terms "high pressure turbo" and "low pressure turbo" referred to? Tuning for high or low-end impact? So T6 has the equivalent of HPT, while T5 has LPT?
Sort of. The T5 is kind of a "medium"-pressure turbo.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Slow drivers maybe is just fine with it. Like me I have been driving a 200HP V6 7seater for 10 years.

Guys, the XC90 T5 is not slow, and of course the T6 will be quicker.

The XC90 T5 FWD is quicker by .2 secs when compared to the RX350 RWD and same in AWD mode when compared to the RX350 AWD...I do not see people having issues with the Lexus RX acceleration and it sells very well, last time I checked.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Slow is relative, means not quick. If it were even slower than it is now I'd still not mind. But for a suv with this size I want the 3rd row...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Also noticed on the configuration site that:
For T5, if chose 20" or 21" wheels, then one of the rigid/urban kit is required as well.
For T6, if chose 21" or 22" wheels, same requirement for the kits.
I am wondering why so. Do they expect people looking at T5 to spend $5k-$6k more on the kit? I guess many will just go with the smaller 19" wheels and buy bigger wheels separately if they want.

Also the very popular 20" 5 double-spoke matte tech black wheel is only available for T6, not T5. :(

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The trailer hitch accessory is displayed in a way that no bumper cutting is needed, more like the InvisiHitch type.
Not sure if it is now different.

"Volvo's trailer hitch is a great way to give your car excellent towing capacity. It is a detachable, Class II hitch. Our hitch is equipped to accomodate a 2" ball. The ball must be purchased separately from your dealer."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts