SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those who have been already driving this car for some time - how do you feel about cabin & engine noise ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
2.5 months, 1200miles.
D5 is very quiet inside the car. My wife is a tractor hater because of the noise and she was so convinced during test drive that we didn't bother waiting for t8 which was our initial intention. She has since commented a few times that engine is very quiet. That is very much a testament to cabin insulation as it is very rattly outside the car. I fuel mine with premium diesel mainly to keep it running smoother but I can't say the dealer ones sounded any louder.

As for cabin noise in general - it's very low until you get over 40mph when tyre noise becomes very audible. U.K. Momentum 20in ships with conti sport contact 5 which is not very quiet, plus uk tarmac (that's road surface between potholes) is very coarse - so it may be irrelevant in your market but I think the bigger issue is insulation of tyre noise. We have stretch of very coarse road surface for about 2miles on m25 between m1 and a10. The noise reverberates in the cabin so badly it hurts. It's a lot louder than my Prius used to be and that was a tin can on wheels as far as road noise goes - I think something amplifies it.
I have swapped to winter rubber and I have not had this problem driving over the same stretch of road and it's definitely quieter for tyre noise though still noticeable. So I think Volvo just missed something big in testing here and hopefully they can pick it up and tidy up for future model years.

Having said that the car is very refined on the motorway - you can't hear engine working at high speeds, hardly any wind noise, some tyre noise. In town you will hear engine stop and start and some minimum vibration but it's all very refined. From cold start a tiny bit more but again very manageable. So manage your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fully agree with comments about being refined for a diesel
It does sometimes sound harsh when accelerating from a stop, if you need a quick get away, but in general very smooth and under general driving conditions very quiet, at least inside the cabin.

I sadly also agree with the odd stretch of road around M25 causing some sort of vibration that is painful.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Those who have been already driving this car for some time - how do you feel about cabin & engine noise ?
Hello Ivos

I have had mainly diesel 4x4s all of my life. This AWD XC90 Diesel is one of the best cabin & engine noise cars I have had.
Tyres and different road surfaces for sure make different sounds when driving. However you are going to get that with any big tyre/car on the road from time to time.
Normally if you go for a quieter tyre you are not going to get the same off road capability.
I suppose it really comes down to what your are going to use the XC90 for - just hauling the Family down the road or to taking them to the snow and some back paddocks on the farm/countryside.

Regards

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies. My new XC90 (D5 Inscription) will arrive from the factory next month :) So far I have XC70 2014 D5. I had several test drives with the new XC90 and comparing to my present XC70 I felt XC90 is overall much more quiet. I just saw two local reviews that say how noisy new XC90 is and I was surprised. So I was curious how the real XC90 users perceive it :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm driving mine inscription D5 with 20' tires since july and I've got about 15'000km on it. Coming from an MY10 xc60 D5 it is a huge jump in noise abatement. I guess that having air shock absorbers makes a whole lot of a difference as well. I've had a chance to test drive both petrol and diesel variations and the D5 fits my needs much better. I think that the acceleration from zero is pretty decent for such a heavy car, even when fully loaded with 4 adults, a kid, lot of baggage, and full air con in summer never let us down when it came to overtake ... I love this car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
XC90 2016 Tyre and Road Noise

I have a 2015 (2016 model) Momentum with Cross cut Alloys 275/45/20 Continental tyres. The road noise on motorways is awful and, like a previous post, on certain sections of the M25 (west Surrey) intolerable. I have spoken to Volvo UK who say they are not aware of the problem. I am though seeing a lot of very low mileage XC90's coming on the market. I feel the same way and may sell, but cannot face the loss. My dealer offered me £5,000 less than I paid five weeks ago, not withstanding the £4,000 plus profit they made on my old XC90 trade in. Really don't buy this model. What a shame!

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is a bit extreme. If tyre noise is your only gripe - buy new tyres. Sport contact 5 are ridiculously grippy - much more than this car needs. Go for something with a lot better noise and trade off some performance. Also - they are summer tyres and the compound is completely wooden in sub 10c which probably makes it worse. it will cost you less than 1k - just consider it a "comfort" option you are ticking. Both conti and Pirelli do models with foam inserts now to improve noise on wide profile tyres - I only saw 21 and 22in so far but hopefully they will move to smaller sizes soon.
I am currently on same size conti winter contacts 850 and they are a lot better on motorway - I really noticed the difference on the day I swapped - and they are not even considered that good for noise either.

On a side note it would be good for Volvo uk to have a look at feedback from people on forums and from some uk reviews. There are lots of mentions of continentals being too loud. I think it's a very specific frequency noise insulation issue and continentals must just hit a sweet spot in vibration frequency to bypass the noise dampening measures or resonate with the metal in the car body. They should really send a team of guys from the factory to test it out in uk, figure out what to do and tidy it up in next model year. All the current model year should be offered a tyre swap to a quieter tyre to stop us whining and putting off new buyers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you but!

This is a bit extreme. If tyre noise is your only gripe - buy new tyres. Sport contact 5 are ridiculously grippy - much more than this car needs. Go for something with a lot better noise and trade off some performance. Also - they are summer tyres and the compound is completely wooden in sub 10c which probably makes it worse. it will cost you less than 1k - just consider it a "comfort" option you are ticking. Both conti and Pirelli do models with foam inserts now to improve noise on wide profile tyres - I only saw 21 and 22in so far but hopefully they will move to smaller sizes soon.
I am currently on same size conti winter contacts 850 and they are a lot better on motorway - I really noticed the difference on the day I swapped - and they are not even considered that good for noise either.

On a side note it would be good for Volvo uk to have a look at feedback from people on forums and from some uk reviews. There are lots of mentions of continentals being too loud. I think it's a very specific frequency noise insulation issue and continentals must just hit a sweet spot in vibration frequency to bypass the noise dampening measures or resonate with the metal in the car body. They should really send a team of guys from the factory to test it out in uk, figure out what to do and tidy it up in next model year. All the current model year should be offered a tyre swap to a quieter tyre to stop us whining and putting off new buyers.
Thanks for your response. The noise on the M25 has to be heard to be believed! I agree that it is a tyre/wheel/resonance scenario but in a £50k car do feel that Volvo should have sorted it out. It is by far and away the noisiest motorway car I have had in ten years, which includes a Q7, an ML and a BMW 530 as well as the XC90 I traded in on this. I have checked the low noise tyre option, the Conti 5's are two bars, the best are Eagles with 1 bar, a further thousand on top of the purchase price to find a marginal improvement perhaps is not really on. The noise reducing tyres seem not to have progressed. I have emailed both Continental and Pirelli but with no luck and not in this size at least.

I wonder if there is any feedback from New XC90 owners on 19 inch wheels, as this may be my option.

Your point on Volvo reading the feedback on here is well made, I am in contact with Volvo UK on the matter and will send the link.

Regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2015 (2016 model) Momentum with Cross cut Alloys 275/45/20 Continental tyres. The road noise on motorways is awful and, like a previous post, on certain sections of the M25 (west Surrey) intolerable. I have spoken to Volvo UK who say they are not aware of the problem. I am though seeing a lot of very low mileage XC90's coming on the market. I feel the same way and may sell, but cannot face the loss. My dealer offered me £5,000 less than I paid five weeks ago, not withstanding the £4,000 plus profit they made on my old XC90 trade in. Really don't buy this model. What a shame!
Can you be more specific? What is the source of the noise: the combination of the large tyres and bad motorways in the UK or the diesel engine?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Coarse road surface (not bad road per se) in combination with continental sport contact 5 tyres on 20in momentum wheels seem to generate the kind of noise frequency that bypasses noise dampening and really reverberates in the cabin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe changing the tyres can also help with longevity of the tyres and mpg. I remember when Toyota announced that they were getting ridiculous mpg on prius and camry by changing many things one of which was going with "rolling" tyres.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All, thanks for your comments, I have sent the link to Volvo UK who are setting up a test drive with me on the M25, hopefully later this week. The line they are using is to test the car is performing within the manufacturers specification. i.e. that there is nothing malfunctioning. I will update in due course.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ask them to confirm upfront what the max acceptable level of noise is at 65mph on dry even road surface so they don't fit the answer to result.

Download a sound meter app and run the bad stretch in the north section (somewhere between a10 and m1 clockwise - I have not heard anything louder than that bit you can tell when you are on it. If you run it in another car and then in continentals-shod 20in momentum xc90 it will be very clear. I bet xc90 will be quieter on normal stretch and a lot louder on that stretch proving there is amplification of certain frequency.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will do, I have done the sound meter app, it is a bit variable but does shoot up to a constant high of 80-85db, which is unacceptable. I will do a proper test with professional gear I hope on Friday. We shall see!

Regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spent an hour on the M25 with a Volvo Master Technician yesterday. Despite being told by Volvo UK Customer Care that they were not aware of a problem, it seems they do know about it. The only fix at the moment is to run tyres at 35psi front and 32 psi rear, which does not seem to make much difference. The MT recorded the sound and will update VUK and agreed that in any car the noise would be unacceptable. It does seem that Volvo have created a problem here. They are still analysing and working on the problem. Meanwhile I have a car that cannot properly be driven on a vast amount of the UK motorway network.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Seeing as they acknowledged it, offer to be their Guinea pig in trying to address it.
They should fit different rims (same size) with different tyres - the easiest is to borrow some from an inscription from dealers stock (I think those are on pirellis). If that works they should swap those tyres onto the momentum rims to see if it's the rims. If that is also fine - we know it's the contis vibration frequency on rough surface at speed. If swapping on to momentum rims makes it bad it's their fault and not the contis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need to support this opinion. I have XC90 D5 with Continental 20" tires and sometimes especially on M25 there are such noisy that I cannot hear anything else. I'm thinking about selling Continental and buying Pirelli or something else. Why Volvo offering such a loud product in £55k+ car ?
Does any of you have any tires recommendation ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a possibility that Pirelli will be extending their noise cancelling tyre to the 21 inch wheels on the XC, but this is only a vague possibility.

A very similar thread is running on the Volvo UK forum. I am on both and trying to collate the growing number impacted by this. Volvo keep knocking it back to the dealer, but there is a fundamental and inherent problem with the car set up that needs addressing by Volvo, not tinkering by the dealerships. It is not the dealers problem.

I am on the case again with Volvo UK, but it will be soon start feeding out to broader market that there is a problem here, I am concerned this will impact resale values unfortunately and quite possibly new sales for Volvo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts