SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of 2016 Inscription xc90 with air suspension, vision and convience package last week. After 5 days of ownership when trying to make a three point turn I found the shifter would not go into reverse or park. The shifter would move freely from drive to nuetral but would not move pass to reverse or park. Been at dealer for a week they are not sure how to fix. Right now plan to exchange gear shift computer module. They say not a mechanical issue but electric and volvo support unclear how to fix as well. Anybody else heard of this kind of issue?

Thanks,

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is a pretty common scenario . Pretty soon they will fly in an engineer and change out a few modules. After driving your car for a hundred miles or so they will say it's still not fixed. Then hey will rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Took delivery of 2016 Inscription xc90 with air suspension, vision and convience package last week. After 5 days of ownership when trying to make a three point turn I found the shifter would not go into reverse or park. The shifter would move freely from drive to nuetral but would not move pass to reverse or park. Been at dealer for a week they are not sure how to fix. Right now plan to exchange gear shift computer module. They say not a mechanical issue but electric and volvo support unclear how to fix as well. Anybody else heard of this kind of issue?

Thanks,
Even with force it does not move? If not, have them disconnect the battery to reset the modules and then try again.

M

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Even with force it does not move? If not, have them disconnect the battery to reset the modules and then try again.

M

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
So the car fixed itself. The thing went from not shifting to shifting from one day to the next. All they noted was that the battery was registering low charge. Dealer nor Volvo knows why issue occurred in the first place. Plan from them is to change out gear shift module. My hope is this fixes it for good. Otherwise plan to carry wrench in the back to disconnect/connect main battery in back of car to reset the car's systems as many off the issues seen appear to be software/electrical related

Responding to comment above the shifter physically would not move beyond neutral even with significant force applied.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Low battery issue again, interesting. I think the car has so many "convenience" systems that you cannot just "remember to turn your headlights off" anymore. You have to keep an eye and I will definitely be investing in a trickle charger. Mkai, it might be better for them to not replace the shift assembly. They might do much more harm than good. Just my 2 cents, if the battery is charged and the shifter works.

M

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Low battery issue again, interesting. I think the car has so many "convenience" systems that you cannot just "remember to turn your headlights off" anymore. You have to keep an eye and I will definitely be investing in a trickle charger. Mkai, it might be better for them to not replace the shift assembly. They might do much more harm than good. Just my 2 cents, if the battery is charged and the shifter works.

M
This is the core of almost all my future fears about the car. With so many glitchy things drawing battery power when the engine isn't on, I am convinced my first major cannot operate moment with the car will be caused by a dead battery that itself is caused by some glitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Gear shift module replaced. When gear shift module pulled and plugged in, it showed several faults. So appears module failed. VCM software updated. Had it back for a few days with no problems so far. Hope this helps anybody who bumps into this same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading this thread as I had a ‘problem’ earlier. Stuck in ‘neutral’ and Car wouldn’t start. Called VOC and about to call breakdown when I realised I’d knocked the gear lever into manual ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts