SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a new-to-me 2004 XC70 for around $400. The guy who sold it to me had it for 10 years and didn't wanna do the 100k interval maintenance for a second time (it's about to hit 200k). I'm doing the timing belt (due in 5k) and PCV (already clogged) sometime in the next week or two myself. Brake pedal position sensor is intermittently on the fritz as well. When I first got it it had a shift flare between 1st and 2nd gear, after driving it on the highway for about 150 miles it's almost completely gone, evidently the car didn't get driven much at all in the past 2 years. Surprisingly there aren't any oil leaks with the PCV in it's current state. He did a lot of front end work in 2016, I believe he had new ball joints and struts put on, rides super nice.

So far, I've got a little laundry list of things to do...

First, I wanna do a full transmission fluid replacement through the rad hose/drain and fill. I'd like to see if this smooths out the tranny a bit before investing a few hundred bucks in parts to take care of the PCV system and timing belt.

Once the transmission is taken care of I'll go ahead and do the PCV, Timing belt, and water pump.

All the motor/torque mounts need replacing, plan on using IPD's trans mount.

It definitely needs a hose refresh as I can audibly hear a vacuum leak and the hoses are probably all original. The brake valve is also completely broken in half and held together with a hose clamp so a quick trip to the parts yard should solve that. Definitely loosing some boost.

I looked over the car with VIDA and it's got quite a few codes for random sensors, could be a bad ground maybe (i know classic excuse)? He did tell me the car had an electrical "short" after he first got it that caused the engine to stall out, he had it repaired at a local place and I'm about 100% sure they did something sketchy.

Overall the car is in pretty decent condition... mostly everything I've found is routine stuff, I feel like I could invest up to 1k in it and still come out okay for a second beater car. I've already pressure tested the radiator and so far no coolant leaks or symptoms of a bad head gasket.
Anything I'm missing that needs to be evaluated before I get to work?

·
Registered
82 Posts
How clogged is the PCV? Is the test where you place a rubber glove over the oil filler tube and start the car causing the glove to inflate?
My only concern would be driving around with a plugged up PCV system could lead to blown cam seals and major oil loss. Now you'd have a bigger job on your hands. Be careful with the heavy accelerations!

If you haven't done already, clear those VIDA codes and see which ones come back.
Good luck!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How clogged is the PCV? Is the test where you place a rubber glove over the oil filler tube and start the car causing the glove to inflate?
My only concern would be driving around with a plugged up PCV system could lead to blown cam seals and major oil loss. Now you'd have a bigger job on your hands. Be careful with the heavy accelerations!

If you haven't done already, clear those VIDA codes and see which ones come back.
Good luck!
So far only the brake codes came back. It does inflate the glove, forgot to mention that. I’m not driving it daily yet, but I am doing an oil change tonight and I’ve got the dip stick cracked. I might go ahead and do cam seals anyway

·
Registered
81 Posts
. I might go ahead and do cam seals anyway
A bit of unsolicited advice.

When I did my 200k timing belt change the cam seals were not leaking so I left them alone. I thought about changing them but looked at what it would take to do it and quickly changed my mind. The timing belt wasn't that difficult to do, I think in the scheme of things the PCV was much more work.

When you do the PCV take the time to clean the ETM as it's nice and easy to get to.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. I might go ahead and do cam seals anyway
A bit of unsolicited advice.

When I did my 200k timing belt change the cam seals were not leaking so I left them alone. I thought about changing them but looked at what it would take to do it and quickly changed my mind. The timing belt wasn't that difficult to do, I think in the scheme of things the PCV was much more work.

When you do the PCV take the time to clean the ETM as it's nice and easy to get to.
Noted! I changed the oil yesterday and was surprised to see virtually no oil on the splash pan or underside of the engine, angle gear looked leaky however. The oil hadn’t been changed since January 2018, 2k overdue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts