SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -

I admittedly have a bit of a Volvo habit and last week acquired a one-owner, all service records, 2004 XC70 with 130K KM's on it. While it will be driven as a daily driver by the wife, I expect to be making it a tad more performance friendly over the next few months. With our son attending university some 350 KMS away, we purchased it as we expect to be driving a stretch of road called the Coquihalla in BC that is quite unpredictable as related to snow and ice, even in early fall and late spring. We picked it up last Thursday and drove it 1000 KMS round trip on the 'Coq' and up to a ski resort in the BC interior (Sun Peaks). It performed admirably and was very easy to drive, but I noticed a minor, low speed suspension knock seemingly from the right front side (while approaching/going over speed bumps) that I need to diagnose (anyone, anyone...??) and am also considering upgrading the sway bars which brings me to my query.

I note that both IPD and Elevate sell sway bar kits for the XC70 - IPD front and back and Elevate individually. I replaced just the rear on my S40 (IPD) and was quite pleased with the results. As such, any insights as to replacing only the rear on the XC70 or with this vehicle does replacing both front and rear make the most sense or is this just overkill?? On my 1800, the reverse is true - most just replace the front sway bar (rear wheel drive).

I am aware from the other SS forums that posting a picture is proof positive that I actually DO have the car, so here it is in Sun Peaks, and no, this is not my home.......

Insights are greatly welcomed.

dd

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would do both front and rear sway bars. Typically upgrading just the front or rear helps to reduce over/understeer but I rather have less roll overall.

While you're at it, throw in some poly subframe inserts to really button down the car. None of these upgrades should have any adverse effects

The knocking sound could be your spring seats. Google how to test them. You can replace them with IPD HD or Volvo XC90 units

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'll be installing the three things freedomfries mentioned in the next couple weeks on my 04. Went with the IPD front/rear kit because it seemed counterintuitive to just do one. Subframe inserts on top of that should have it feeling like a new car if the reports are to be believed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx guys - the car is going into my indie shop for a once-over on Thursday and I will report back. Young Satchel - I look forward to your report back as to results.

Additional insights are welcomed.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Rear bar only is a nice upgrade, both is better.
(I've had both)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx JRL -

I note you have contributed on another forum from a couple of years back,referencing the use of the V70R rear bar as an option. (there is a recent post on this forum as well that references it). As I am aware that there are almost infinite options for the P1 chassis given its relationship to Mazda and Ford, does the P2 chassis also support 'cross-parting' so to speak. Ergo - buying an bolt-in V70R rear bar from Tasca appears to be a more cost effective option than Elevate or IPD, but only IF it actually delivers comparable results. Following this thinking, is a V70R front bar more robust than the stock XC bar as well?? My mantra is always that I am not afraid to spend $$, I just want to only spend it once. Are there other options or models that offer 'bolt-in' compatibility? Any part numbers?

Further Insights are welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
S60R/V70R have 23.5mm front sway bars and XC70 is 22.7mm. IPD's is 25mm.

I used a very rough calculation just to get an idea of relative stiffness and estimate that the R sway bar is 15% stiffer and the IPD bar is 50% stiffer.

Edit: and the rear bars:
- XC70: 14.5mm
- S60R: 20mm, 262% stiffer than stock
- V70R: 22mm, 430%
- IPD S60R: 25mm, 784%
- IPD V70R: 28mm, 1290%

Disclaimer: I don't know how these figures translate into practice

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where does the T5 rear (and front?) bar fit into this list?
S60R/V70R have 23.5mm front sway bars and XC70 is 22.7mm. IPD's is 25mm.

I used a very rough calculation just to get an idea of relative stiffness and estimate that the R sway bar is 15% stiffer and the IPD bar is 50% stiffer.

Edit: and the rear bars:
- XC70: 14.5mm
- S60R: 20mm, 262% stiffer than stock
- V70R: 22mm, 430%
- IPD S60R: 25mm, 784%
- IPD V70R: 28mm, 1290%

Disclaimer: I don't know how these figures translate into practice

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Where does the T5 rear (and front?) bar fit into this list?
All turbo V70s use the same bars. The NA has the rear bar deleted.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm....very interesting. From a bolt-in perspective, which models and range of years correlate directly with the 2004 XC70 - i.e. would a 2001-2004 or a 2005-2007 V70R rear bar fit or would I need to find and exact year match?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As referenced earlier, there was a similar query on the volvoxc forum here: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?22651-Xc70-Rear-Sway-Bar

Based on the comments above and on the other forum AND my objectives for this vehicle, I am likely going to go with the S60R bar available through Tasca here: http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/30748638 or possibly the V70R offering

For $150 I am thinking that i will get the desired results in terms of bang for buck. Also liking the IPD sub-frame insert recommendation.

Vehicle is at my indie shop today, so I will better understand the front suspension knock in a few hours - stay tuned. Thx.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK - thx. I am used to IPD's usual 10% - 15% sale prices, so that would have been an exceptional deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts