mess around with the adaptive cruise on the way home

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Congrats - we love ours and the mileage is surprisingly better than the car we traded in (CX 9).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Picking up my 2016 XC 60 tomorrow
Platinum Ice White BLIS and Climate Package
Coming out of a 2013 Explorer Limited
Considered a 2016 Sport but thought
better of it after the problems I had
with the paint and fit
Ford refused to do anything
Do yourself a favor and take the vehicle to an auto detailer and have them do a full decontamination of the paint or if you are familiar with the products and how to use a clay bar do it yourself.

One of the crap parts of owning a white vehicle is iron spots (show up as tiny rust spots or redish dots) that are caused from iron particles sitting on the clear coat.

Ours had only sat in a storage lot for a week before we purchased it (it likely sat longer near a rail road track as that's how they're transported to our location) but the amount of junk sitting in the clear coat was unreal (even after the dealership did their "detailing").

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Do yourself a favor and take the vehicle to an auto detailer and have them do a full decontamination of the paint or if you are familiar with the products and how to use a clay bar do it yourself.

One of the crap parts of owning a white vehicle is iron spots (show up as tiny rust spots or redish dots) that are caused from iron particles sitting on the clear coat.
I had plenty of those iron dots on our white XC60... clay isn't enough to pull them out... I had to polish them out. Took forever. But came out great when I was all done.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had plenty of those iron dots on our white XC60... clay isn't enough to pull them out... I had to polish them out. Took forever. But came out great when I was all done.
Oh that's crazy! Took me a good 4-5 hours with two different grades of clay. Now I use CarPro Iron X every 2-3 washes takes care of it, clay bar as needed to help with anything else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ours had only sat in a storage lot for a week before we purchased it (it likely sat longer near a rail road track as that's how they're transported to our location) but the amount of junk sitting in the clear coat was unreal (even after the dealership did their "detailing").
Thanks I will keep a eye on that.After the nightmare I had with the paint on my Explorer I am a little gun shy

·
Registered
223 Posts
Picking up my 2016 XC 60 tomorrow
Platinum Ice White BLIS and Climate Package
Coming out of a 2013 Explorer Limited
Considered a 2016 Sport but thought
better of it after the problems I had
with the paint and fit
Ford refused to do anything
Two reasons to celebrate- you have a new Volvo AND you no longer have a freakin' Ford to make your life hell!!! =)

I have a 2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 now and had a 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT before it. But prior to the Mazda, I had a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I never knew it was possible to hate an inanimate object as much as I did that Explorer! It had 134k miles on it when I traded it for the CX-9 and it had cost me over $9k in post-warranty repairs. I fought Ford to get a few after-warranty repairs covered, but it was NOT easy and they were so unprofessional about everything. I went in to the Mazda dealer willing to take anything over $6k for the Explorer and I almost broke out in laughter when they offered me $7500 for it. I wanted to tell them to please pack it up and send it back to HELL! Ugh....never again!

Loved my Mazda but it was just too big and way too thirsty for me. But I sold it to my parents and they are loving it. I really love my Volvo and I'm sure you will, too!

Did you get a FWD XC60 (with one of the Drive-E engines) or AWD (with 5- or 6-cylinder turbo engine)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two reasons to celebrate- you have a new Volvo AND you no longer have a freakin' Ford to make your life hell!!! =)

I have a 2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 now and had a 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT before it. But prior to the Mazda, I had a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I never knew it was possible to hate an inanimate object as much as I did that Explorer! It had 134k miles on it when I traded it for the CX-9 and it had cost me over $9k in post-warranty repairs. I fought Ford to get a few after-warranty repairs covered, but it was NOT easy and they were so unprofessional about everything. I went in to the Mazda dealer willing to take anything over $6k for the Explorer and I almost broke out in laughter when they offered me $7500 for it. I wanted to tell them to please pack it up and send it back to HELL! Ugh....never again!

Loved my Mazda but it was just too big and way too thirsty for me. But I sold it to my parents and they are loving it. I really love my Volvo and I'm sure you will, too!

Did you get a FWD XC60 (with one of the Drive-E engines) or AWD (with 5- or 6-cylinder turbo engine)?
T6 AWD Platinum Put 80 trouble free miles on it today L O L
Mechanically the explorer was ok My biggest issue was with the paint bubbling all over the leading edge of the hood
Also the bottom edge of the front doors would rub on the sills and wear away the paint and start to rust.I noticed it at about
28K miles Ford only warranted paint for 24k.Truck was only 14 months old but out of warranty due to mileage Ford would do nothing

·
Registered
223 Posts
T6 AWD Platinum Put 80 trouble free miles on it today L O L
Mechanically the explorer was ok My biggest issue was with the paint bubbling all over the leading edge of the hood
Also the bottom edge of the front doors would rub on the sills and wear away the paint and start to rust.I noticed it at about
28K miles Ford only warranted paint for 24k.Truck was only 14 months old but out of warranty due to mileage Ford would do nothing
My former Explorer was my best friend's company car. He only had it 16 months and put 70k miles on it! I only paid $15.5k for it (MSRP when new was $38k), so I paid about 40% of what it cost new. But with 70k miles, the warranty was expired. My problems weren't powertrain-related and just the sheer number and frequency of problems drove me insane. The A/C went out at 82k miles and cost $1800 (my mechanic using Ford parts, dealer wanted $3300) to repair. The replacement parts had a 2-year warranty and the A/C system failed again about 18 months later. They didn't want to honor the warranty on the replacement parts, but I literally told them I might create a "drive-thru" into the Service Department if they didn't! I figured it was a 50/50 gamble- I'd force them to honor their warranty or I'd be calling my dad to bail me out of jail! =)

Here are all the things I remember off the top of my head that broke or needed replacement- the motor on the power driver's seat failed; the 3rd row seats were 'Power Folding' (because raising and lowering a seatback manually is so difficult, and one the motor on the left side failed and the seat could not be folded up even by hand; the radiator had to be replaced twice; the alterntor failed; the head unit for the 'Audiophile' stereo fried out and a used unit from salvage still cost $450; the TPMS system had some freaky failure that cost about $400; the power brake booster, master cylinder and some components of the ABS failed, all at separate times, of course; the power moonroof motor failed (motors love to die in this thing); the brake interlock for the gearshift failed so the shifter was stuck in Park; the backlighting for the gauges went out; the power steering pump died; the torque converter went bad and the final straw was that the transmission stopped shifting into 5th/overdrive and would only go to 4th. My mechanic said it was likely a solenoid that needing replacing but there was also a chance that the transmission could need replacment! It was just the 2WD V6, which was the most efficient option offered on that model, but I was down to just 13.5mpg average (compared to 18mpg average when I got it at 70k) and my mechanic could not figure out why. He had replaced and changed everything that would normally effect fuel economy (spark plugs, plug wires, air fliter, etc). When the transmission thing happened, he called me after looking at it and said, "Is there any way you can get rid of this G.D. thing?" And I gladly did so....

But the funny (and by funny, I mean infuriating) thing is that I had a 2004 Explorer XLT prior to this nightmare. It was my best friend's previous company car and I bought it around 65k miles. I sold it to my sister in 2008 and she is still driving it with 260k miles on it. A fault ABS sensor, radiator and timing chain tensioner are the only things it has needed and she is still driving it!

Enough of that talk....I'm having PTSD flashbacks! =)

I think you are really going to enjoy the Volvo and, over time, you will see how much more refined and solid it is than anything Ford has ever built. I love the solidity of my S60. Even though the S60 is somewhat small physically (teeters on the the compact/mid-size threshold), it feels as solid as a tank on the road and I love that!

Glad to hear you got the AWD, which means you don't have to deal with the freakin' Auto Stop/Start system in the Drive-E FWD models! It's the only significant complaint I have with my S60 and I just deactivate it every time I start the car, before I even shift into gear. But it's annoying nonetheless. It stops the engine when you stop, then restarts it when it you take your foot off the brake. If it worked imperceptibly, it would be fine. But half of the time, it would shut down with a clunk and restart with a shudder which a $45k car shouldn't do.

BTW, I think you made a great choice with the Ice White. A lot of people would pick the Crystal White Pearl instead, but I think the Ice White looks so much cleaner and neat. The Mazda CX-9 I had before my S60 was Pearl White and I never cared for it. Did you choose it because it is one of the two non-metallic paints offered or just because you liked it? It was my backup choice for the S60 if I couldn't find the dark blue (Caspian Blue Metallic) that I wanted, which I did.

Just curious, which interior did you get? I looked at the XC60 when I bought my S60 and I fell in love with the Hazel Brown & Off-Black Sport Leather interior. But the deal on the S60 made my choice for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My former Explorer was my best friend's company car. He only had it 16 months and put 70k miles on it! I only paid $15.5k for it (MSRP when new was $38k), so I paid about 40% of what it cost new. But with 70k miles, the warranty was expired. My problems weren't powertrain-related and just the sheer number and frequency of problems drove me insane. The A/C went out at 82k miles and cost $1800 (my mechanic using Ford parts, dealer wanted $3300) to repair. The replacement parts had a 2-year warranty and the A/C system failed again about 18 months later. They didn't want to honor the warranty on the replacement parts, but I literally told them I might create a "drive-thru" into the Service Department if they didn't! I figured it was a 50/50 gamble- I'd force them to honor their warranty or I'd be calling my dad to bail me out of jail! =)

Here are all the things I remember off the top of my head that broke or needed replacement- the motor on the power driver's seat failed; the 3rd row seats were 'Power Folding' (because raising and lowering a seatback manually is so difficult, and one the motor on the left side failed and the seat could not be folded up even by hand; the radiator had to be replaced twice; the alterntor failed; the head unit for the 'Audiophile' stereo fried out and a used unit from salvage still cost $450; the TPMS system had some freaky failure that cost about $400; the power brake booster, master cylinder and some components of the ABS failed, all at separate times, of course; the power moonroof motor failed (motors love to die in this thing); the brake interlock for the gearshift failed so the shifter was stuck in Park; the backlighting for the gauges went out; the power steering pump died; the torque converter went bad and the final straw was that the transmission stopped shifting into 5th/overdrive and would only go to 4th. My mechanic said it was likely a solenoid that needing replacing but there was also a chance that the transmission could need replacment! It was just the 2WD V6, which was the most efficient option offered on that model, but I was down to just 13.5mpg average (compared to 18mpg average when I got it at 70k) and my mechanic could not figure out why. He had replaced and changed everything that would normally effect fuel economy (spark plugs, plug wires, air fliter, etc). When the transmission thing happened, he called me after looking at it and said, "Is there any way you can get rid of this G.D. thing?" And I gladly did so....

But the funny (and by funny, I mean infuriating) thing is that I had a 2004 Explorer XLT prior to this nightmare. It was my best friend's previous company car and I bought it around 65k miles. I sold it to my sister in 2008 and she is still driving it with 260k miles on it. A fault ABS sensor, radiator and timing chain tensioner are the only things it has needed and she is still driving it!

Enough of that talk....I'm having PTSD flashbacks! =)

I think you are really going to enjoy the Volvo and, over time, you will see how much more refined and solid it is than anything Ford has ever built. I love the solidity of my S60. Even though the S60 is somewhat small physically (teeters on the the compact/mid-size threshold), it feels as solid as a tank on the road and I love that!

Glad to hear you got the AWD, which means you don't have to deal with the freakin' Auto Stop/Start system in the Drive-E FWD models! It's the only significant complaint I have with my S60 and I just deactivate it every time I start the car, before I even shift into gear. But it's annoying nonetheless. It stops the engine when you stop, then restarts it when it you take your foot off the brake. If it worked imperceptibly, it would be fine. But half of the time, it would shut down with a clunk and restart with a shudder which a $45k car shouldn't do.

BTW, I think you made a great choice with the Ice White. A lot of people would pick the Crystal White Pearl instead, but I think the Ice White looks so much cleaner and neat. The Mazda CX-9 I had before my S60 was Pearl White and I never cared for it. Did you choose it because it is one of the two non-metallic paints offered or just because you liked it? It was my backup choice for the S60 if I couldn't find the dark blue (Caspian Blue Metallic) that I wanted, which I did.

Just curious, which interior did you get? I looked at the XC60 when I bought my S60 and I fell in love with the Hazel Brown & Off-Black Sport Leather interior. But the deal on the S60 made my choice for me.
I think the ice white looks much clearer if that makes sense There was a XC90 Crystal White parked right behind mine when I picked it up .The CW didnt look as
crisp as the IW Got the soft beige interior

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congrats OP.

Honestly I can't say too many things about ford these days. I had a 2014 Focus ST (although technically it was a Euro-designed ford) that treated me very well even with a 350HP Ford Racing Tune. My wife has had a 2013 Edge Sport AWDwith the 3.7L Cyclone engine for 2 years and it's also never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:beer:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts