SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First post. Sorry if I do it wrong.
2019 XC60 T6 AWD Momentum. Mostly city driving. Alot of 4 way stops. Stop and Go on major roads.
But gas mileage is worse than I'd expect. 13-15 US mpg / 16-18 L/100 km.
Is this expected (even though its far off the posted stats?). Or is there something not tuned right? Dealer non-commital.
Tire pressure came at 40 psi. thinking of adding a few lbs to see if better, but doubt that's it.
(actually surprised didn't come at 36 ish).
Was thinking of an XC40 for second vehicle, but not if this is how things go.
Thanks for any insight folks.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Try a long trip of 2 hours and see. Slow traffic is the worst thing for turbo engine and heavy cars. I commute on city street and would buy hybrid cars going forward. XC40 PHEV will be wonderful for me.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
442 Posts
I average between 16-17 mpg. Picking it up and driving it home was the first (and best overall) sustained trip at 25 mpg. I would expect that as it gets broken in that you would see better mpg. I just passed 7000 miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Recharge T8 R-Design
63 Posts
I do about 90% city travel and i get around 20mpg. Yours seems a bit low, maybe try and drive in Eco mode to see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My city driving averages 21.7mpg, recently read a post where it said that MPG started to increase after 18k on the odometer. I'm just over 17 so will see what happens

·
Registered
683 Posts
In the summertime, I've driven thousands of miles cross country with no charging at all on my T8 and the worst I ever got was 26.8 mpg.
In the winter, the worst I ever got was 21.6, also with no charging. So even though you would expect somewhat better mileage with the PHEV, I think the OP's issue is mainly related to the stop & go city driving.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My T6 gets around 17-18 mpg local driving, short trips. Hwy about 25-26. Have 13k on car

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
In the summertime, I've driven thousands of miles cross country with no charging at all on my T8 and the worst I ever got was 26.8 mpg.
In the winter, the worst I ever got was 21.6, also with no charging. So even though you would expect somewhat better mileage with the PHEV, I think the OP's issue is mainly related to the stop & go city driving.
It is exact for daily stop and go traffic that I recommend PHEV. Don't like to sit in ICE while burning gas.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I average between 16-17 mpg. Picking it up and driving it home was the first (and best overall) sustained trip at 25 mpg. I would expect that as it gets broken in that you would see better mpg. I just passed 7000 miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Imperial gallons? thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many miles on your new xc60?

When I first pick up mine T6. The mileages was horrible. I thought the reading was wrong.
Now my xc60 T6 has around 800 miles.
The gas miles has improved a lot more.

Gotta wait til broken in and you will see the true mpg.
Look at image, my first 59miles only 11.2 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
PHEV would be better for you

With that kind of driving, the ICE in this car is not great, especially with a heavy foot. My commute is 13 rural miles each way and I can do the whole thing (barely) on one charge in 2018 T8 Inscription with 8k. I doubt I’ve spent more than $200 for gas since buying it, but unless I’m showing off Power mode to a friend driving like an idiot or doing a road trip, the engine rarely fires up except, of course, in cold months.

·
Registered
223 Posts
2019 t5 awd i get mix 23mpg if i easy on the go pedal, stop and go street 15-17mpg but i only have 5,000 mile, hopefully it'll get better.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The belief that new vehicle fuel economy improves over time was largely true for older vehicles, but completely unfounded for modern vehicles (circa 2005+). It's a myth told by baby boomers.

Modern vehicles have lower internal friction, primarily from reduced piston ring tension and enlarged valve guides. This means there's significantly less engine "break-in" needed because the friction is already minimized (less metal surface to "seat").

It's also why OEMs use synthetic oil as the factory fill and don't recommend much, if any, engine break-in period (e.g, first ~300 miles).

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-oil-consumption-in-modern-cars

Likely, the best explanation for perceived/actual fuel economy is the owner becomes accustomed to operating their vehicle in a more efficient manner. There's also ancillary factors, like adaptive transmission algorithms that "learn" optimal shift points from your driving style. Again, that goes towards your driving style.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is not just the engine. Lots of the moving parts have more ‘drag’ until they have a few hundred km on them.
Brakes bedding in for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
It is not just the engine. Lots of the moving parts have more ‘drag’ until they have a few hundred km on them.
Brakes bedding in for example.
If your brakes are sticking/dragging, you should get that fixed. Hydraulic transmissions lack a break-in period too.

I can only assume you're a boomer because you seem convinced old vehicles equate to modern vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Driving like a granny in Eco mode I can marginally eke out 15 mpg.
Not good.
Eco Mode makes me wonder. The on off is so quick, sometimes slowing down to make a left it will cut out as you start turn, which isn't great for safety.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If your brakes are sticking/dragging, you should get that fixed. Hydraulic transmissions lack a break-in period too.

I can only assume you're a boomer because you seem convinced old vehicles equate to modern vehicles.
I am indeed a Boomer! I don’t think anything,especially the brakes, are dragging but close fitting mechanical parts are never harmed by giving them a short period to ‘get used to each other’ no matter how good the lubricants are.
My last car was a 2014 Audi Q5. This new Volvo is the only car I have ever had that has not had a suggestion to be a bit gentle with rpm for the first 1000 km or so. For what it’s worth the 300 miles you mention is 500 km...close enough!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts