SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. All my Google-fu and forum searching has come up with nothing except for an old article from V Classics saying to give Volvo a call ... but are there any other sources for new windshields for the 122?

Mine is extremely pitted. Barkeeper's Friend took off a big layer of grime and who knows what, but of course it didn't make any progress on the pits. Is glass available anywhere? Anyone in the PNW have a clean used one they'd like to sell me?

·
Registered
61 Posts
VP Autoparts has them for around $200.

I haven't been able to order online from their new web site - it's broken - but you can email Johan Eurenius <[email protected]>. He's generally pretty responsive.

BTW, I have no affiliation with VP - just a satisfied customer.

Phil Stevens

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hey folks. All my Google-fu and forum searching has come up with nothing except for an old article from V Classics saying to give Volvo a call ... but are there any other sources for new windshields for the 122?

Mine is extremely pitted. Barkeeper's Friend took off a big layer of grime and who knows what, but of course it didn't make any progress on the pits. Is glass available anywhere? Anyone in the PNW have a clean used one they'd like to sell me?
For leads on a clean used Amazon front windscreen (windshield) download this...

http://www.vcoa.org/images/docs/Rolling_Jan-Feb_10lo-res.pdf

...then scan all the pages for suppliers of used 122 parts.

If you decide to go with an all new glass you will need the seal/trim/install kit linked below.

Let us know which tint option you want (check your existing side window tint if any) so we can find a new glass from a USA supplier.

Thanks.

George Dill

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/body/windows/seal-windscreen-windscreen-with-trim/1008185/

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/body/windows/windscreen-tinted-green/1008186/

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/body/windows/windscreen-tinted-with-blue-filter/1040099/

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/body/windows/windscreen-clear/1008184/

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177300-putting-in-a-122-windshield-yourself

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As soon as I am caught up on other glass models I have coming out, I have the templates ready for the P1800/Amazon front and rear glass production, and they will be readily available at all times.. The only difference with the glass kits I manufacturer, is there is no more use of the bulky window weatherstrip, because the glass has a more modern fit, with the black out borders.. That doesnt do alot of the pro OEM trim guys much good, but we will have a chrome trim that will compliment our glass kits.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as I am caught up on other glass models I have coming out, I have the templates ready for the P1800/Amazon front and rear glass production, and they will be readily available at all times.. The only difference with the glass kits I manufacturer, is there is no more use of the bulky window weatherstrip, because the glass has a more modern fit, with the black out borders.. That doesnt do alot of the pro OEM trim guys much good, but we will have a chrome trim that will compliment our glass kits.
Any notion of what the front glass will cost, ballparkish?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Any notion of what the front glass will cost, ballparkish?
With my other glass kits, they only come in a front and rear glass set, and I am not sure what the pricing will turn out to be on this line.. My other kits retail for 1999 dollars, because they perform a custom look that would normally cost several thousand dollars to achieve.. I know the general classic Volvo guys arent ready for that type of price tag, so what price point they will be able to be set at..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the general classic Volvo guys arent ready for that type of price tag, so what price point they will be able to be set at..
I think the issue for me is, I'm trying to put a car back on the road and actually drive it on what amounts to a shoestring. I think a lot of us Amazon owners are in a similar position. We're not cheapskates, but for folks like me, keeping things cheap is the only way I get to have a classic car project. So unfortunately, my budget is usually "the cheapest thing that does the job properly and isn't a POS."

Personally, I'd hesitate to pull the trigger on any windshield that's more than $300, and I'd buy something brand new or NOS for $150 in a heartbeat. So that's about how my wallet is calibrated.

If you do get around to producing a flat windshield and get it installed on an Amazon, definitely take some photos and show us. I'm curious what it'd look like, in my budget or no.

·
Registered
123 Posts
buy a VW bug windshield and take to a glass shop to have cut down? Check dimensions first, but that is what I was thinking of doing....

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Alex;

Visit one or more established and reputable pro auto glass shops in Seattle and let them run a full windshield replacement job (windshield/trim/sealant/install/guarantee) through their /computers/suppliers.

Avoid franchise glass places if possible.

Even if you shell out $500 for the perfect job the cost will be worth it compared to an attempted self-install with parts coming from Constantinople and beyond.

George Dill

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Go talk to the parts people at Ravenna Volvo. They're still interested in supporting our old cars, and new windshields are available from GCP through those dealerships that care to participate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So currently it seems getting the glass isn't the hard part, it's the rubber seal. Ipd is out of stock. Swedish Treasures is on back order. Anyone seen the seal around?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I could be all wrong on this. ( no wife to tell me I'm wrong) Anyway when I ran a logging company shop the glass guys had rubber seals for equipment. Whether that would work for 122 windshild or not I don't know.

From my own experiance with glass it's cheaper to have a pro do it and I can count on one hand how many things I let a pro do !

·
Registered
232 Posts
I could be all wrong on this. ( no wife to tell me I'm wrong) Anyway when I ran a logging company shop the glass guys had rubber seals for equipment. Whether that would work for 122 windshild or not I don't know.

From my own experiance with glass it's cheaper to have a pro do it and I can count on one hand how many things I let a pro do !
Im going to have it professionally installed, but the glass company I spoke with said they looked into and can get the glass all day long but is having problems sourcing the seal. I made a few calls myself and have also hit a wall.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Im going to have it professionally installed, but the glass company I spoke with said they looked into and can get the glass all day long but is having problems sourcing the seal. I made a few calls myself and have also hit a wall.
Try here...
--------------------------------------------------------
Volvo Parts
4414 SH 276
Rockwall, TX 75032
Phone: (866) 834-1882
Fax: (972) 829-6714
Hours of operation:
Mon-Fri 7:00 to 5:00, Sat 8:00 to 2:00
--------------------------------------------------------

If "Out of Stock" ask them for some leads.

The seal for the front Amazon windshield (1956-1970) comes in two versions:
Volvo Part Number 660864 which has no cut-out for the trim.
Volvo Part Number 673318 with trim cut-out.

My local auto glass shop deals in classic cars and uses a generic best-fit seal (cut-to-fit) and a clear adhesive/sealant.

Here is/are many hours of reading "How To" on Amazon glass install...

http://tinyurl.com/p5vfh2y

Right-click (or equivalent) on each result then "Open in a New Window". Once that loads scroll to and click on "Threaded Expanded" to get (for example) this..

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1301422&show_all=1

Sometimes the Brickboard server is slow so...

Each thread has at least ONE "wrong" bit of advice so once you have read every expanded thread your problems have been solved because it is 3:35am and somebody has stolen your Amazon.

George Dill

·
Registered
232 Posts
New windshield is in... sort of. The trim was not in very good shape and did not go back on correctly. It is bowing up and away from the windshield at the top. Its about a quarter inch off of the seal. The glass and seal look great, but he is going to have to work the trim a little more or order new trim which seems expensive.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Swedish Treasures had my Windshield and back glass rubber in stock, and that was also a with or without the trim option to the rubber seals. I installed the glass, and the seals were nice and soft, and fit the body nicely, so you might try there...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Swedish Treasures had my Windshield and back glass rubber in stock, and that was also a with or without the trim option to the rubber seals. I installed the glass, and the seals were nice and soft, and fit the body nicely, so you might try there...
Thanks I was going to go that route if he couldn't get this one to work. There is a 4 door at a junk yard I could grab the trim from if its not too bad as well. Trying to save money on this if possible

1 - 17 of 17 Posts