SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I purchased a new S60 about two weeks ago. I love the car but the wheels are another story. I have the "Lysithea" 9 spoke wheels on my vehicle. I thought I would wait and buy new wheels later but I could not wait. I just ordered the "Tethys" 17 spoke wheel. I need help with tires. Volvo recommends a 225/45-17 tire. I spoke with my local tire dealer and he told me the Toyo FZ4 is the way to go. I would like to keep the same smooth and quiet ride but of course better handling. What do you guys and gals suggest for brand and size with these wheels? Thanks in advance for your help.
V

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Tire Rack has a pretty cool feature on their site where you can read reviews of different tires. You may want to check it out.

If you do buy from them, be careful finding a place to mount them. Not every corner garage is any good at mounting low profile tires. I learned from experience.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by ltgvmm0397:
Thanks. My dealer reccomended 225/45-17 and my brochure says 235/45-17. Why the difference?
V
From what I gather, you have a normally aspirated S60. The brochure recommends 235 width because that's how they come from the factory when ordered with either the Tethys or Amalthea alloys.

Your car has not been set up with the necessary spacers that go into the drive shafts when they are assembled at the factory. We have customers who want to take a car from stock (16" rims) and want us to ADD the 17" rims and I tell them 'we do that and you will have problems with the tires rubbing when you turn". Most likely, you will encounter the same problem even with the 225 tire. Why not go with a 16" rim and a 205 or 215 tire???

Yannis

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I choose the 17 inch Tethys because I love the look of the wheel. I asked my dealer about the rubbing issue and they assured me I would have no problems. I do have a normally aspirated S60. I thought the dimensions where the same from the base up to the T-5. I'm not a big turbo fan so I decided on the non turbo and upgraded everything else. The wheels where my only complaint. Could you tell me more abut the spacers and is their anuthing I can do to correct the problem if I encounter it. Unfortunately, I have already oredered the wheels from a dealer out of town because my dealer would not give me credit for my new stock wheels in exchange for an upgrade. Thanks in advance.
V

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
There was a member of Swedespeed (ch7656) who had, if I remember correctly, a 2.4 NA (sold it), that was lowered on S.A.M. springs running 235/45/17 Tethys and he never reported a problem with rubbing. I am not sure if he didn't noticed it, or it just didn't occur at all. Since you already ordered your new wheels, I would get 225/45/17's if I were you, just to be on the safe side, IMHO.

-Drew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your prompt reply. The wheels will be in on Thursday and I will have them installed on Friday with 225/45-17.
V

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the wheels installed. The look great. What a difference great wheels make. I went with the Toyo FZs 235/45/17. The wheels do not rub. I had the dealer drive it and inspect for rubbing before I took it home to the wife. It was a hard sell for her since the car was brand new. I had a dealer buy my other wheels for $225 each and I paid $280 each for the "Tethys". My local tire store gave me a $60 credit towards my old tires(15's off the spoke). I ended up paying around $650 for the whole deal, which was great considering I did it after purchasing the car.
V

1 - 8 of 8 Posts