SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got myself a test wheel that i really like from a jaguar s-type. Its a 10 spoke 17 inch 215mm wide. and so now i need some expertise on making it work properly. The center hole for the hub on the wheel is just a little too small to slide onto the hub? how do i get it widened? also when i test fitted the rim it was very close to the strut and it wasn't even in the hub all the way because it wouldn't fit, so i will need spacers. That makes me wonder, how big of a spacer can i put on the hub before i will need extended wheel bolts? thank you for all the help

·
Registered
277 Posts
The CenterBore will have to be drilled out in order to fit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If it looks like you will need spacers anyway don't bother machining the center bore of the wheel. Just get custom spacers with the Volvo hub bore on one side and the Jaguar wheel bore on the other.

This is a good link where you can configure custom spacers to get the wheels to fit: http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

If you really do want to machine the wheels to make them fit, a machine shop can do it or you can get creative using a router, which I have done, but only because the wheel center bore had a nice taper which allowed me to use a rabbeting bit for a perfect concentric trim.

P.S. Pics of wheels please? :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so can anyone help me. How thick the spacers should be so the wheels don't interfere with anything. 17x7.5 and it has 60mm off set. Also what size tire should i get?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Your guess is as good as ours. Try stacking washers on the lugs to test fit on the car. Cheap way to figure it out. Second cheapest way is to buy a bunch of 5mm spacers from the local auto parts store, I wouldn't use them permanently but for testing they will reveal what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/140914257456?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

This is what you're looking for. Cheap for testing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lol
or use websites like willtheyfit.com

or simple take your wheel off, put the new wheel up on 2x4's/blocks where it should sit and place it where you want it to sit in the fender. Measure the distance between hub and wheel.

You could also do the easiest thing and calculate stock offset vs new offset.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you have no idea how to do any of this, just DON'T DO IT!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have no idea how to do any of this, just DON'T DO IT!
Lots of good advise here, but JRL is the most correct.
Don't take a chance adapting wheels unless you know what you are doing, major safety concerns.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You may not know what you are doing now, and that's OK! It doesn't mean you can't become knowledgeable about adapting wheels, offsets, etc., though. Definitely don't buy anything yet. But I guarantee you have the capacity to learn what you need to do to make this a safe modification. You just have to do the research. My mentality with mods that I am not knowledgeable about is, "If someone else has done / can do it, I can do it." Keep searching the Volvo forums as well as other car forums and you can become knowledgeable about what is required.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
This^^! Excellent advise! Read and learn and mod and ask questions (like you're doing). Understand that you'll get a variety of answers and read them all. Then make the decisions on what you're going to do.
Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
The center hole for the hub on the wheel is just a little too small to slide onto the hub? how do i get it widened?
machine shop.

also when i test fitted the rim it was very close to the strut and it wasn't even in the hub all the way because it wouldn't fit, so i will need spacers.
Correct.

That makes me wonder, how big of a spacer can i put on the hub before i will need extended wheel bolts?
The correct length wheel bolt is your stock bolt + the thickness of your spacer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts