SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last month i bought a 2004 v70 na with only 69k miles on it. the car had been owned by an older couple in las vegas till last year when they sold it to some guy who brought it here. Less than 8 months later he sells it to a local dealer. and thats where i come into the picture. Anyway, the mechanicals are in great condition and everything looks brand new. Except the wheels. The stock 15's are to small imo. anyway, i was wondering if a set of 17x7.5 wheels with a 45mm offset and 235/45r17 tires would work without any problems. im assuming they would but just wanted to ask the experts :)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yep. That's pretty much stock size for a T5.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can say the stock T5 wheels are 17" and 7 or 7.5" wide. Not sure about the offset though. If what LloydDobler says is true though, then you'll need to change your steering stops. Inexpensive parts really. If you don't, and I have yet, you will rub at full lock; left or right. I put T5 wheels on my na and I'm rubbing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You can also run 225/45/17 instead. They rub less and cost less than 235/45/17. They're also a closer match to the stock 195/65/15 and 205/55/16 tires.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would say 17x7 or 17x7.5 is fine. You will want to swap out for the black steering stops, which are easy to do yourself with basic hand tools. This will prevent your tires from rubbing. See here: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5933/113043-steering-stop-limiter

You have a lot of options for 17" wheels, which can be had pretty inexpensively at junkyards in your area, on craigslist, on the forum here, or on ebay. See here for a list: http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10128/volvo-oem-wheel-cross-reference and here for some tips on fitment: http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10010/wheel-and-tire-fitment-guide-for-1994-2008-fwd-awd-volvo-models

If you want the "factory look" for your car, it would be any of the following wheels that came on V70s with the premium wheel option:

17 x 7.5 - "Almalthea" - 2001-2003 S60/V70
17 x 7.5 - "Thor" - 2004-2005 S60/V70
17 x 7.5 - "Orpheus" - 2006-07 S60/V70

·
Registered
921 Posts
This diagram shows the steering stop (A) with its two bolts. This view is basically as though you stuck your head under the front bumper and looked toward the wheel.

When you turn the wheel, the metal stop arm (B) hits the plastic stop (A) to prevent the wheels from turning too far and rubbing. Cars with narrow wheels and tires were fitted with smaller steering stops, since they could turn the wheel farther without rubbing the tire on the inside of the fender. Your car probably has blue or white stops, but you need the black ones for wider wheels. By putting on thicker steering stops, you will have a slightly larger turning circle, making maneuverability in parking lots a little worse, but it's not too bad.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You will go to a much larger and a PIA turning radius
If you go this route, I suggest you invest in a pair of 5mm spacers for the front wheels, this helps a ton, usually stops the rubbing and then you can go one size smaller on the stops! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The turning radius doesn't bother me that much. My mother has a denali xl thats almost impossible to drive in parking lots

1 - 11 of 11 Posts