SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning a ship carrying brand new Volvo, Saab and BMW:s sunk in the English channel after colliding with another vessel. Approx 3000 cars, most of them Volvos, went to the bottom of the sea.
The ship was heading for the US, so maybe some of you who have ordered new Volvos will have to wait a bit longer for your car to arrive http://********************/smile/emsad.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2575009.stm

//

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (megapolaren)

Oh dear god. I hope it wasn't any XC90's!! That sucks big time. I guess some people with delays in the arrival of their Volvo won't be so upset now.

[Modified by omega6_virus, 9:36 AM 12-14-2002]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (omega6_virus)

Wow, that sucks. I wonder how insurance works for that. I mean, say some of the new R models were on that ship, and there is only a limited production run of them, will volvo make some more to make up for it. I would imagine so. I also wonder if the car companies are fully reinbursed for the cost of the cars. I would imagine that not only does volvo lose money because cars have sunk, but that also means that its that much longer until the they can sell that shipment of cars, I would think that means lost revenues. If I were Volvo, I would want lots of money, and then when the win that settlement, they should give me a new S60R for free, since I came up with this good idea. Hehe!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

The article does not indicate what brands of cars were in the ship...where did you get the news that it had Volvos, Saabs and BMWs? SAAB does not make sense as there is no plant in the vicinity and the shops from the Swedish ports do not go through the Channel in order to get to the US.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (omega6_virus)

quote:

Oh dear god. I hope it wasn't any XC90's!! That sucks big time. I guess some people with delays in the arrival of their Volvo won't be so upset now.

[Modified by omega6_virus, 9:36 AM 12-14-2002]
It should not have any XC90s, if any Volvos at all. The ship loaded at Zebrugge, Belgium; there are no XC90s loaded from Belgium. They are all loaded at Torslanda, Sweden.

Yannis

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The info is taken from swedish newspapers, i coudn't find a good link in english. See:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,239321,00.html

http://www.expressen.se/article.asp?id=132878

Papers say that the ship was carrying all types of Volvos, including XC90, and new Saab 9-3:s. The ship has most probably loaded Volvos and Saabs here in Göteborg and then loaded additional BMW:s in Zebrügge.

The articles also said that everything was fully insured, and that deliverys shuoldn't be that delayed. It dosn't take that long to produce this amout of cars.

//

·
Registered
6,564 Posts

I'm just glad the Rs aren't out yet, or there could be few on that ship. http://********************/smile/emsad.gif

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Here is another link with a report and a picture showing the ship on its side, at low tide, before high tide covered it up:

R.I.P. Volvos, BMWs, SAABs

Yannis

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (The_one_n_only)

quote:

I'm just glad the Rs aren't out yet, or there could be few on that ship. http://********************/smile/emsad.gif
rofl, that is what my friend said when I told him.

hehehe

[11:22] Sqwibbs: yea
[11:23] Sqwibbs: at least it wasnt the R's
[11:23] Sqwibbs: dude, if it was the R's
[11:23] Sqwibbs: i would friggin do something terrible to somebody
[11:23] DPNKaizai: rofl
[11:23] DPNKaizai: calm down, its ok
[11:23] Sqwibbs: i might even write a Rue email
[11:23] DPNKaizai: no R's yet
[11:23] DPNKaizai: *pat pat pat*
[11:24] Sqwibbs: i would be like, I RUE THE DAY YOU DECIDED TO DRIVE A BOAT YOU BASTARD
[11:25] Sqwibbs: I RUE THAT STUPID LITTLE HAT YOU WEAR
[11:25] Sqwibbs: I RUE THAT YOU DIDNT GO DOWN WITH YOUR SHIP!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (Kaizai)

I hope this doe not make the dealers up the prices of their current stock!!

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (Ash)

Wow, that ship's on it's side. I doubt even RSC could have helped any XC90s in that.

Note all the fuel around it. What a shame.

·
Registered
530 Posts

quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The articles also said that everything was fully insured, and that deliverys shuoldn't be that delayed. It dosn't take that long to produce this amout of cars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, how are these cars insured, by the manufacturer or by the shipping company? If by the shipping company, I wonder if this will inflate the year's volume numbers.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: New Volvos at the bottom of the sea (samulsoon_0503)

quote:

So, how are these cars insured, by the manufacturer or by the shipping company? If by the shipping company, I wonder if this will inflate the year's volume numbers.
First of all, these cars cannot be replaced...it may not take too long to produce cars but Xc90s are very hard to replace, with all this demand. This is surely a blow and a dent (albeit small) to Volvo's quest to satisfy demand...

All cars shipped by Volvo are insured by what is called "Marine Insurance". The ship is insured by the shipping company. I was also wondering if Volvo will register all these cars as "sold"/retailed.

Yannis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts