SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I was reading random posts about ride comfort and I came across several posts about new cars that were not prepped correctly where the spring blocks were not removed from the front suspension. Just for the hell of it thought I'd check my car and lo and behold, the damn blocks are still there. Just drove from Atlanta to Melbourne Florida (and back) with those things in the springs. What the hell is it with dealers not prepping cars properly? Should I be worried about this? I guess I'll take pictures and send them on to the dealer.

If you have purchased a new Volvo, check your front suspension!

spring blocks :-(

·
Registered
14,438 Posts
Good reminder, they were left in mine 18 months ago, heck they were leaving them in P2R's 10 years ago. Just sloppy prep work on an otherwise wonderful car.

And to your question, I don't think it would have done any damage though you should call your dealer and suggest they didn't prep the car correctly.

I wonder how many of these cars are driving around like this because folks don't know any better?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How long did it take you to figure out that the blocks were still there? I feel like an idiot but I've been babying the car around and the trip to florida was all smooth highway miles. I have 1300 miles on the car and am still in the 'getting to know you' phase of ownership. Never would have thought to check if I wasn't bored at work today and browsing the forum.

Have found folks on a Camaro ZR1 forum that have driven around for a year with these things still in place. Honda S2000 owners with 20k and 60k miles on their cars. Guess it's just not Volvo that is at fault. The amazing thing is that you would think Camaro ZR1 and S2000 owners would be more aware of something like this. I guess I shouldn't feel as foolish as I do. But I'm a car enthusiast and have been to Skip Barber racing school. I should know better. :-(

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Everytime I see this posted, I check our car again. Most companies dont help the situation by making them black. Your car will be fine, the spacers only change the spring rate.

·
Registered
14,438 Posts
I think the shipping spacers were in mine for only a couple of weeks before I looked into it, thanks to a reminder on this forum. I agree, your car will be fine. New car owners get somewhat of a pass due to everything being new and the owner not being sure how the car is supposed to behave. The telltale signs for me was a slightly firmer ride and higher ride height/ fender gap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got home last night, grabbed a flashlight and took a peek up front after reading this thread. You'll never guess what I found in the springs. . .

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Does leaving these strut pucks or spring blocks in destroy the suspension or cause premature wear and tear? I'm getting minor vibrations from the all season and winter tires as indicated in my mini owner's blog in my signature for the Acura TLX and I'm seriously wondering if there is something like that in there. I didn't see anything when I jacked up the car and swapped to winters though. Neither did an aftermarket shop when I brought my car to them in order to get my winter tires balanced.

What's the point of these strut pucks or spring blocks anyways?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the point of these strut pucks or spring blocks anyways?
Keeps the car from bouncing around during transport. I read a few threads about the S2000 and spring blocks and it looks like Honda uses alot of little spacers in the springs while Volvo uses large rubber fingers. I could see how one or two could be missed but if your shop didn't see anything, you're probably ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts