SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Installed a new set of Volvo Portia wheels/tires on my r today in addition to a car wash and hand wax.Question for you all, my tpms light came on due to these being new sensors. Does anyone know how to reprogram the new ones? I tired driving over 25mph for over 10 min but that didn't work. I wheels are from a 2016 which I read from somewhere Volvo does not use tpms any longer but abs sensors to measure low tp. The valve stems are rubber. Could this be true?

·
Registered
595 Posts
The TPMS system for your car (and mine) requires the use of the TPMS sensors in each wheel, and you can see that by the use of metal valve stems. If you have rubber ones, then you don't have the TPMS sensors installed. The new cars do not have TPMS sensors in the wheels, but measure changes from the braking system, as you note.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks for the confirmation. Now instead of me having to buy another set of sensors and having to get these tires rebalanced, is there a way for the dealer to deactivate my tpms system?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ixions are 18s, and I think I will be hanging on to them. The tires on them have decent tread left so I plan on running them in the winter months up here in ct.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gotcha. I would love Ixion 19s but at close to $600 per wheel new, ouch! Back to topic, are these Portia wheels standard fare on MY 16 S60's?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These wheels are optional on the t5 and drive e models for 2016. The 2016 r designs still have ixions. I wanted 19 inch ixions as well but they are expensive. I picked these up for a very very good price and think they look quite clean and classy.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The car looks hot!

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Confirm that the sensors you get for the new wheels match your 2012 TPMS frequency requirement. I think 433MHz is the frequency for 2012 through 2015.

The wheels look very sharp with the Passion Red!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi S60rd, beautiful car. I noticed the wheel arch gaps are nice and tight. What springs/shocks have you got on?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm on the market to look for lowering springs and I was thinking of the Eibach Pro Kit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are actually just stock springs/shocks. The 19 inch wheels are technically 1 in taller in diameter since the sidewall spec of the tire doesn't change between 18/19 inch rims, so it fills the wheel gap a little more.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The TPMS system for your car (and mine) requires the use of the TPMS sensors in each wheel, and you can see that by the use of metal valve stems. If you have rubber ones, then you don't have the TPMS sensors installed. The new cars do not have TPMS sensors in the wheels, but measure changes from the braking system, as you note.
Im not 100% sure, but I don't think that is correct. iTPMS isn't yet in use IIRC.

The new TPMS sensors are rubber stemmed, not metal, so it's easier to be fooled. We were under the impression the new XC90 was using iTPMS, but found rubber stemmed TPMS sensors on the wheels.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Looks great! I Knew that they would look good up against Passion Red. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get a set down the road for my V60RD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
These are actually just stock springs/shocks. The 19 inch wheels are technically 1 in taller in diameter since the sidewall spec of the tire doesn't change between 18/19 inch rims, so it fills the wheel gap a little more.
Great look! Love the elegant simplicity.
Im not 100% sure, but I don't think that is correct. iTPMS isn't yet in use IIRC.

The new TPMS sensors are rubber stemmed, not metal, so it's easier to be fooled. We were under the impression the new XC90 was using iTPMS, but found rubber stemmed TPMS sensors on the wheels.

·
Registered
595 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know if anyone answered but I've heard it is illegal to deactivate tpms. One thing I read recommended throwing a set of sensors inside a spare tire and air it up to spec. lol

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Few more shots

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Fantastic. I can say, with certainty, that this is the only wheel I have seen looking better than the original (and great looking) IXION II wheels!

Love the additional shots!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts