SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! Brand new owner here as well as first time car owner with some questions!

I’m 18 years old and recently bought a 2004 Volvo XC70 for $1800 with 160,000 miles on the odometer.The seller said the only things that need work are the break pads and steering alignment. As far as I know those are pretty cheap fixes and with the combination of the safety of this vehicle, I couldn’t pass up the offer.

I want to find a reputable mechanic in my area as I just moved to Vermont a couple of months ago and I don’t want to be scammed since I’m prime picking due to my very little knowledge about cars.

I encountered an issue with my sunroof also. It was working on the drive home and the next day when I tried to open it, it just wouldn’t budge. No clue what to do here.

I also want to know how to inspect my car. What are some common issues with the car?

Thank you all so much! Very excited to be a part of this community!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats! First, I am age 69 and been doing more than the average amount of DIY car repair/maintenance including engine building from bare block up. I learned from my cousin who built street racing engines. Ok, my cred...LOL
All my experience tells me avoid dealers for repair/maintenance unless you find/know someone who unequivocally gives their blessing. Do your research, ask around about independent Volvo shops. When you find one you MIGHT want to try start by going to the shop, telling them the issues and get them to proffer up an estimate of sorts. You need to speak to them in person to get a sense of BS level. Break pad replacement, likely including honing the rotors and steering alignment are not expensive. Good place to start to find out if you want to use the shop again.

Specify only OEM parts! Otherwise you may end up with lesser quality (and lower cost for the shop) aftermarket parts (read NAPA for example) and being charged almost or the same as OE parts. A trick shops use to boost price. Reputable shops should give you an estimate or close to exact price as these issues are a known quantity.

The sunroof issue will require some hunting for the problem unless the garage has seen that before. So you will pay for diagnosis. Private message me if interested in more info on anything cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts