SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volvo S60 Polestar
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Swedespeed!

I'm Dan, I live in the Bay Area. I'm a new First time Volvo Owner but like the cliché "I am not new to the Car Scene" If you want to skip over my story, Scroll till you see the pictures.

Long story short, I am Mercedes guy (Still am, and Still own a couple :) ) however I was in the market to replace my Daily Driver with something newer, comfortable and Unique. I always try to find Unique cars, that you don't really see every day, or some special pedigree behind it. I was replacing my 1989 190e 2.6 Liter Inline 6 5sp Manual Mercedes, Those who know the older Mercs, know that is a super rare combo (only about 200 or so In the USA) and 400 in Europe. My next DD, I wanted to have AWD, Great on Gas, European car and again something partly Unique. I search google with "comfortable cars" with my budget in mind ($6000, Which is what I got for the 190) and found the S60. I always like how they look, so then I pop on a couple different forums did some research and found I wanted S60 Awd 2.3 or 2.4t ( Forgot which one) and was looking for an Auto (Was kind of tried of manual) Off to Craigslist I went
I saw some of the R's, I had the money to spend to get one, but thinking to my self I just needed a DD, not another Weekend Warrior which I also already have....Almost all of them were going for 12-15k. Since I was struggling to find a regular s60, I just search for an R just for laughs, Saw one for 10K.... I was like mm.. So i went to check it out. Well after seeing an R in person I knew I wanted one... So after doing some research before I went and looked at it (2004 S60R Silver 6MT with Gobi Interior with Navi) Original Owner, had Maintenance Records.... It was in need of a new clutch and some a few other little things...., Made the offer of 6k, They Declined of course which I knew they would, I started walking away, they somehow changed there mind and bought it for 6k lol. Once I got it, (I'm pretty anal about maintenance on any car I have) so I drove it to the shop and Had them do the Following.

Replace all Coolant and Oil Hoses
Replace some of the Vacuum Lines
New Timing Belt Kit(The kit it self with has the Idler and what not)
New Water pump
All new IPD Poly Mounts for all Engine and Transmission mounts
All new Sub frame Poly Mounts
New Collar Gear (Mine was working, but shown signs death was near)
New Rebuild Kit for Transfer Case
New Stage 1 Clutch
New Flywheel (Bought the Viva Single Mass Flywheel however it was very Poorly made, and Damage when we try to install it, So I ended up just buying a new Duel Mass)
All Fluids Flushed, and Changed (There are 9 different Fluids in our cars lol, Had every one Changed)
New Ignition Coils
New Spark Plugs
New Radiator
Had the Car Detailed

There some other stuff as well, But I just got it back couple days ago (Been 3 Weeks ), Runs like a Champ now.

My Couple Questions are as follows:

1) As you can see in the pictures, The black trim..... On the Doors, Bumpers and lower lip, How would I got about getting that painted or Replacing that with the same color? I guess it was an option?

2) Since the R is now caught up on Maintenance, I would like to replace the Intercooler, Downpipe, and then Chip it. I won't be doing anything else after, as state it's a DD. My question is, I for some reason can't search beyond one page since I can't find the list of pages to keep looking (Forum issue?) What intercooler is the best drop in, and efficient? I don't mind having to drain the A/C as my Mechanic will install it but I don't want to have him go searching for parts (Hoses and whatnot) to get this intercooler to fit. That question also goes for the Downpipe. I seen a couple review on the IPD ones and Viva, but none really answer the question on what's involved. The chip I am at a lost, I keep seeing people bounce from one to the other....

Thanks guys for help!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
welcome, there is a specific forum for R models here on the swedespeed, but np, we can help you a bit. There is a thread for all the mods that you can find for the R models.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?69045-S60R-V70R-Modification-amp-Repair-Index

for the downpipe, you can get from ebay the obx, intercooler there is a lot of options including do your self tutorials. About the flash, dont get anything else than ARDIDEAS.com, Lucky who is the owner and tuner is one of the best persons to deal with and he know what he is doing.

Good luck!!.

·
Registered
2016 Volvo S60 Polestar
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Advice, Ya i ment to post it in the R section but I guess I had the S60 selected... O well it's relevent to both forums. Good Advice on the chip, Thanks again

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
dont get anything else than ARDIDEAS.com, Lucky who is the owner and tuner is one of the best persons to deal with and he know what he is doing.
While I agree with you mostly. There are other options than Lucky's tune. NJGreenBudd and others have had awesome results with RICA. There's plenty of options so saying "don't get anything else but..." is kind of presumptuous tbh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts