SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently picked up a 2004 XC70 with minimum 157k on the odo (more about this in a bit) from my brother in law as payment for rebuilding an old Toyota 22R head. exterior of the car looks decent, but there is a laundry list of problems.

1. A pretty massive oil leak. According to him it loses about a quart of oil every 3 tanks of gas. Already planning on picking up a PCV kit as that seems to be the first thing that causes the oil system to have issues. Oil appears to be leaking near passenger(US) rear of engine.
2. ABS light on dash. Doesn't cause car to be undriveable like the few things I've read tend to say, possibly dirty sensor instead of ABS ECM? ABS light causes odometer to not work (why I said minimum 157k miles, because that's what it currently shows.
3. He gave me a set of new IPD lower control arms, saying they would need to be replaced. bushings are still there just maybe tired, seems like about 1/32" of play in the front bushings, will this cause any issues if left unfixed for the time being?
4. Alignment. He got new tires about 6 months ago, the rears look brand new but the fronts are absolutely thrashed. He says the shop he had do the tires couldn't align the front end properly due to not being able to loosen the tie rods for adjustment. Seems silly. But that's where we are.

Somewhat daunting for me, coming from the world of Aircooled VW's and old toyotas to work on a vehicle I cant fit my hand anywhere in the engine compartment.
Any help on anything else I need to check out would be greatly appreciated since I honestly don't even know where to start.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
1. change the PCV flamebox making sure to clear the hole going down to the oilpan... then clean the engine really well before driving it some more.

2. replace the wheelsensors they are like $15 sheesh.

3. you can ignore the control arms if you want to focus on other issues first, but you will want to have them installed before an alignment.

4. you will have to unscrew the inner tie rod from the rack and put it in a vise to separate inner from outer and clean the threads. Or just but new ones, they aren't very expensive.

I'm sure there are quite a few other other issues you are not seeing, such as the angle gear/collar sleeve wearing out (replace the sleeve before it grenades). Dirty/leaking differential fluids. Throttle body is probably gunked up and needs a cleaning. Spark Plugs probably need to be replaced. Cabin Filter. CCM sensor clogged with dust. Rusty/Sagging coil springs. etc..

All fairly common problems after 150k

For the trim/cladding; depends how bad it looks and what color the car is, but I use Forever Black (Amazon has it) then it looks like new and lasts a year or better

My 04 after a fresh coat:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If it is the BCM, I have a spare one from a 2004 XC70 (no DTSC, no STC, those would be buttons showing bottom center of dash)

When the BCM is bad you get no trip odometer showing and the main odometer doesn't advance. On ours (with ABS light only) we had to replace the drivers front ABS tone ring a couple years ago around your (apparent) mileage, so check codes first, ring was only a couple dollars.

If the trip odometer comes up for a few seconds when first started, then goes out, its a relay (think a bad BCM can rapidly age a relay).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Tie rods usually have the lock nut frozen by corrosion. You can do what the man said above or you can cut them off using a Dremel or similar. Reinstall with new parts.

Don't worry about working on these cars. They are not as "modern" as you assume and relatively easy to work on. The cost of parts is a different story but there are trusted places to buy online that will not scalp you.

The only modern stuff is when you get to codes in the computers and for that you should get yourself a Vida tool.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Get marine grease, grease athe threads of all bolts and nuts under the car. I have no frozen anything since I learned that marine grease trick. It sticks forever, unlike regular grease, and ignores a presence of water.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Looking for Vida Dice reader,
Anyone have any recommendations?
Currently looking at this on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AUTOPHIX-ES6...rds=vida+dice&qid=1568055619&s=gateway&sr=8-2
No! Go get the DICE tool and the associated software. You will get the diagnostic tool along with the tech manuals and the parts directory for your car and any other Volvo of the years around your car so you can easily see what parts from other cars fit your car (for junk yard trips, eBay, etc.).

Search on eBay for them. They are from China and you'll have to find a trusted seller. Most of them are just junk. Do not buy the cheapest! Search the forums as there is a ton of info about it with recommendations for sellers.
One trusted one is https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014D-HQ-V...epid=0&hash=item19fde5dbaa:g:AOEAAOSwPYZU25HY
He gives good support and even replacement parts at good price if the original unit fails. The units are made in China but he puts time on it doing the quality control and support that most sellers do not. So you get a good unit and support for the extra money you pay.

In the mean time you may find someone close to you. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?215573-VIDA-DiCE-Locator-Thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great timing for this thread. I just bought an 03 XC70 w 140k off a buddy of mine who has been keeping up with most maintenance items. He's done some vacuum parts (not sure which), timing belt, spark plugs, engine oil, multiple trans flushes. The car has no identifiable leaks (nothing on the ground).

My short list of todos from reading a few posts is as follows (please comment as necessary): Install front control arms (came with car/bushings installed), need to purchase ball joints, tie rods, alignment of course, PCV maintenance, throttle body cleaning.

·
Registered
459 Posts
To pin down the oil leak, remove the timing belt black plastic cover. Loosen 6 bolts on main valve cover, then remove 2 bolts from timing belt chamber cover, and undo 2 two spring clips front and back. You can then evaluate where the oil is leaking. BTW, the passenger side is considered the front of this transverse engine...cylinder 1 is next to the timing belt chamber, cylinder 5 on drivers side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts