SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of restoring my Volvo 130 I am likely due for a new fuel tank due to rust issues. I know that new stock tanks are readily available between $300-$400. For that amount of money are there any better or safer options? I don't particularly care about keeping the car stock so anything I can do to easily reduce the risk of a fire in a rear-end collision seems like a good idea. It seems like a tank could be made to go behind the rear seat in between the wheel wells.

By the way my car is fairly stock with a B18B, dual SUs, and an M41 so no special requirements other than safety and location of the tank. Anyone do anything like this before? Any options out there?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think Robert aka iamtheonlyreal1 has been developing something like you're describing - a tank that fits behind the rear seat. Thought he would have chimed in by now. Robert???

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I think Robert aka iamtheonlyreal1 has been developing something like you're describing - a tank that fits behind the rear seat. Thought he would have chimed in by now. Robert???
Been accused of to much self promoting, so I figured I would let it play out a bit.. LOL We are working on a tank like this for the P1800 and Amazon, and hope to have something to show pretty soon..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am sure this will cause more questions than answers, but here is the new fill position for your upcoming fuel tanks.. I should have some pics of the new test fuel tank later this week or early next, which will show you how it all comes together.. We should be in a 14-16 gallon capacity, and it will only take up the space forward of the trunk hinges, which will leave about all the existing trunk space. It will also be in a safer position, when it comes to rear end collisions. With the Amazon/P1800 rear panel acting as a natural firewall, it is like these cars were made for this position fuel tank.

In the case of spillage, the is a drain system to the outside of the car, as most cars with closed in fuel fills do. The same drain setup, should also act as a vent for any fumes from the residual fumes during fill up, and the trunk seal will block the rest. The original fuel tank setups that I have encountered, tend to have a bit of leakage from the fuel sender gaskets at times, and I am sure this set up will offer less actual smell than the factory..

When these are done, they will bolt in, so there will be no need for welding.. As you can see, it mounts with the outer trunk hinge bolt, and the tab that is used for the spare tire strap. The only draw back to this tank for some, will be the elimination of the spare tire holder, but you can still haul a spare laying down if you wish. I will also have some pics of the OEM tank elimination plate, and for the performance guys, this plate will relocate your battery to a sub floor position that is centered at the back of the rear axle. If you didnt want to use it for a battery, it can be used as storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts