SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Is there any tips for driving a new Volvo?. I used to drive Asian/American/Korean cars and one important thing in 1st 1,000 KM is not to try pushing the engine to more than 3,000-3,500 RPM. Try not exceeding 100 KM/H. Try to wash the car by normal hand washing and not very frequent.
As you know this is my 1st European car and I heard none of the above tips to be applied to the Euro cars.

So, any suggestions on this?.

Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't think that the engine braking procedure is required anymore.
The dealer specifically told me to drive normally and not care about it.
I have never understood the 100kph limit though...it's the engine RPM one should be careful with...not the speed of the car.
In any case, I remember reading on a forum about someone saying to explicitly put load on the engine in the first few hundred km (he also had very good reasons)
Here's the link : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39955&highlight=engine+break
The guy is a professional (racing?) engine builder and the theory behind his advice seems solid.
He does recommend changing the oil often...

I do have to agree with washing by hand...i think it even says so in the manual...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I once read about the break in for NASCAR motors. Gently rev the motor through its entire range on multiple occasions. Use the entire motor, but gently. I would also change the original oil rather quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't do much of a break-in on my 2012 S60 T5. I did OSD last summer and the guy at the factory recommended taking it easy the first 1000miles but other than that not much else. I changed the oil at the 7,500 mile interval with the 0w30 German Castrol. I wash by hand every few weeks - 1 year in I have yet to polish although will probably do so by the end of summer. I use Lake Country blue sponge with Optimum ONR (rinseless wash) most of the time and Duragloss Car Wash (#901) when I do a traditional wash. I'm using Optimum Opti-Seal and Optimum Car wax for protection.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The 2012 S60T5 manual says nothing about break-in. When I asked (since there had been mention for my earlier cars and this was my first Volvo) I was told that there was no break-in, to just go out and drive the car.

Approximately 500 miles later I was at 130MPH on the Autobahn. Even there I wasn't accellerating hard.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Well, I have been told as well by Volvo guy to take it easy with the car, engine and brakes. He actually make this theory as generic for all new cars not only Volvo.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Get an early oil change, soon after the 3000 mile mark. Then go with the Volvo schedule. Recommend using full Synthetic due to the turbo engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts