SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mathue,
Did these ship with the vent locks attached?
Thanks,
Steve
Nope, you have to assemble the latches which isn't too hard, but it does involve a coil spring which at one point went flying on me. Thankfully I did find it afterwards.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I had to re glue the latch on one of mine which required removal of the vent window from the car. I found the R&R was fairly easy, less than 5 minutes each to remove and reinstall the glass. Did you also replace the weather stripping - that is a bigger job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to re glue the latch on one of mine which required removal of the vent window from the car. I found the R&R was fairly easy, less than 5 minutes each to remove and reinstall the glass. Did you also replace the weather stripping - that is a bigger job.

The vent windows that VP sold me, while OEM Volvo, the lower mount with the nice big screw was epoxied and not removable. I had expected them to be removable which certainly would have been WAY easier.

The rubber seal for the vent window is surprisingly in decent shape, though I need to give it a real good cleaning and nourishing. The door seals though . . . yikes they are bad.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Are you sure it's not Silicone?

I just repaired mine as per 142guy did, and the bottom screw had silicone on it, I don't remember ever removing it before.

Could just be very tight ....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Perhaps an over zealous application of thread locking compound? Maybe they used blue instead of red (or whatever the Volvo equivalent of locktite is).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Try using a heat gun to heat up the screw, if it IS epoxy heat will also cause it to melt and release the bond, a large soldering iron applied directly to the screw may do the trick.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you able to remove the screw?
If so, what method did you use?
Steve
Nope, I took things more apart using a hammer and axe and gorilla glued it back together. ;) ;) ;)

Actually no, but I did take things apart more than I had expected I would have.

It is SO nice to have them, it's such an improvement.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For the life of me I cannot get my vent latches to stay attached to the glass. I was most careful in cleaning it and gluing it with rear view mirror glue. Even sitting in climate control for a year and not moving it still popped off.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Did you use the Loctite kit with the separate adhesive and activator / pre treat? That is what I used and the latches are still stuck on, although I don't think I have opened the passenger side in the last 3 years so it doesn't get tested a lot. Is there a chance that there is something on the attachment pad on the latch that is interfering with the adhesive?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did you use the Loctite kit with the separate adhesive and activator / pre treat? That is what I used and the latches are still stuck on, although I don't think I have opened the passenger side in the last 3 years so it doesn't get tested a lot. Is there a chance that there is something on the attachment pad on the latch that is interfering with the adhesive?
I will look at what I used but I thought it was yellow loctite for glass applications.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts