SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Just picked up my s80 a few days ago. 2007 v8, white pearl, chrome venators...

When I first got it, I noticed it said alarm service required whenever I started it but I didn't pay any mind to it.
Well now the car won't even start and through my googling apparently the alarm siren battery goes bad and then drains the main car battery... Is this a common problem?

Also I tried jumping the car and it still doesn't start.

please help :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi,

When I bought mine the alarm service required message was on too.

I was having issues with (main) battery drain over time, so after reading some of the posts here, I had a new alarm put in, and the battery drain stopped.

Does it turn over slower than usual and sound like the battery is low? That's what happened with mine, but a couple of times, I wondered if it would continue to turn over, so maybe you got to that point. If you're giving it a chance to charge up a bit with the jump, not sure why that won't work.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi,

When I bought mine the alarm service required message was on too.

I was having issues with (main) battery drain over time, so after reading some of the posts here, I had a new alarm put in, and the battery drain stopped.

Does it turn over slower than usual and sound like the battery is low? That's what happened with mine, but a couple of times, I wondered if it would continue to turn over, so maybe you got to that point. If you're giving it a chance to charge up a bit with the jump, not sure why that won't work.
I think this module is on all S80's (mine has PCC) so I'm just holding my breath until I start seeing this stupid message as well. Then from what I've heard, its "Dealer rape" time with a new module to be specially programmed by them to your VIN, etc.

IMHO: That was a STUPID design by Volvo to put these NiCd batteries in and not allow them to be replaceable or to prevent a possible leakage from them to destroy the electronics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the alarm killed the main battery it should start by jumping it. Maybe the siren battery leaked on something important or it's something other than the alarm. Does it crank over when you're jumping it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill try to jump it again when I get home from work tonight. Glad I didn't sell my other car haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried jumping it again and it started but sounded terrible. Like it was going to stall any second. Off to volvo it goes...

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Most likely a dead battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drove 2 hours and picked it up on the 16th... Wouldn't start on the 20th :(

Seriously hoping it's just the battery. I don't have a ton of money to start throwing at this already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my local Volvo dealership just let me know that they never even received the car yesterday.
Called the tow company and apparently they accidentally towed it to some Honda dealership instead.

:mad::angryfire:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I guess it's not much of a comfort but... yeah, that does suck. On an unrelated note, I don't think I've ever seen a pearl white S80 before. Ever... Ever. Any more pictures of it? Looks really good, except it would look heaps better off a tow truck. On a related note though a relative had his new car towed. It was a MY14 with some software issues that crippled the starter, thinking it had the wrong key in it. Two months old and one of the first MY14s around. So yeah I sort of feel you. I was there when it was dragged onto a tow bed and that was a bummer. I think by comparison it's fair to picture a new XC90 being dragged onto a tow bed. Felt as such anyway.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how exactly a dead siren battery would drain the main battery? I don't see a) why the siren would use any battery when not in use or b) why it'd be connected to the main battery anyway, having its own one.

Weak battery does sound plausible. However, I accidentally half drained my battery a week ago using my stereo for much too long while parked and I got a warning message about that. Same car as you. The starter did stop briefly during startup but it still did fire up the engine alright. And seeing as you haven't mentioned anything about a weak battery warning I have slight doubt that the battery's, if at all, at fault.

·
Registered
134 Posts
schmoyoho,

For what it's worth, my car never gave a low battery warning, and for sure I had a low battery at times.

From memory from the posts I read a while ago, once the battery on the siren goes out, it can keep asking the main battery for backup, thus draining the main.

I am glad to say that once I replaced my alarm, I no longer had to worry about a low battery upon start.

I also think Zak's car looks great, albeit will be quite a bit nicer off that towtruck!

Whizkid, I wasn't thrilled with the alarm placement, either, and that I might be faced with another replacement within a couple of years or so. I remember reading a post a while ago, and someone mentioned there is a software to remove the alarm altogether. The poster was insistent that there is a way to do that. I called 2 local dealers and neither said they knew of that, or wanted to admit it. At the time, I would have been happy to do that since I'm not too worried about someone stealing my car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you access it through a wheel well.

The problem with its placement, is that water drips on it and eventually corrodes the battery.

·
3,391 Posts
I believe the reason this problem seems to manifest itself around the purchase of used Volvos is because the siren battery drains as the cars sit for weeks/months on used car lots. If the car were being driven every day as usual, it would probably continue to be fine for many more years. Just replace the Siren with a low mileage or newer used one and you'll be all set. Then you don't have to worry about doing a software load on the siren.

·
3,391 Posts
And as much as I love Ember Black, I have a real soft spot for pearl white cars. I never thought I'd fall in love with a black car. White cars have always been my favorite. It was just so difficult finding a highly optioned S80, and I didn't want a 2007 because of the lack of lane departure warning and the less chrome, so this is the car I ended up with. If I had my pick at the time, I definitely would have gone with a pearl white car, but now that I've had Ember Black and have heard all of the compliments, I am happy I ended up with it! Still though, gorgeous car, and I love the chrome Venators. (Mine came with them too.) :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts