SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am the very happy owner of this 2004 V70R MT and I'm damn happy to be here

my question is this, has anyone had any issues with the recirculation setting on these cars?
it's kind of a funky switch set up but I don't think my confusion is creating this issue.
basically when the car is in recirc mode the volume of air coming out of the vents is GREATLY reduced but the noise the fan makes is increased...it sounds like more air should be coming out. the PO said that the cabin filter was recently replaced so I'm assuming that isn't it (though I guess I can't completely rule it out until I put eyes on it myself)

any thoughts?
thank you in advance, this is a great board, I'm happy to finally be able to participate!

Zach

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Air is reduced probably because you are just recirculating the air in the cabin already. The fan sounds like it is working harder because it is it has to take in and circulate the air from the car rather than Take in all the air from outside which is easier to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. this sounds dumb, but maybe it will help someone in the future....
a wad of mcdonalds napkins slid out of the back of the glovebox and was sucked into the return air for the recirculation.
at least it was a cheap fix!

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
First need to determine which Climate System you have. Most came with what Volvo termed IAQS, which is an air quality system.In theory it detects carbon based pollutants, and automatically goes to recirc.
If you have IAQS you will have a single recirc button, with a green LED on each end. This came with what Volvo called the Touring Package.
There should not be huge difference in air output, in recirc. I wouls suggest you check the cabin filter, there are two slots, one wider one for the charcoal activated IAQS filter, and a more narrow one for non IAQS. Under no conditions should both slots be used, it is one or the other. There will be too much static air pressure with both.

Could well be cloggged as mentioned above. Volvo does not use a seperate recirc filter as some other higher end cars do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts