SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: So I've had my R for a couple months, wife said it was making a noise on the front passenger side, well turned out to be rear driver's side. The parking brake pads delaminated and tore up all the hardware for the parking brake.

So my question is, does anyone have a listing of all the parts i need, or can point me to a good diagram so I can order. Luckily she stopped in a parking lot and I did a quick removal of the wheel, caliper and cleaned out all the debris before it tore up the hub and caliper. Also, do I really need to replace it right away? I have an auto and don't use it (I live in Indiana, no hills).

Thanks for the help, other than this love the car, it's been great for the 2K we've put on it in the last couple months, great road car.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Not sure..never happened to me. I just replace my shoes when I have to do other work that involves takin the rear wheels off. Takes like 15 min to do. If you didn't damage anything then you just need the shoes and hardware. I don't know the exact numbers but if you want to make it easier and maybe spend like 10$ more, i believe Elevate has shoes and a hardware kit. Probably IPD and Viva will too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got done working on it, the hardware is gone, heat shield is done, 2 bolts for the heat shield sheared off, other 2 bent (got them out), the aluminum block on the knuckle is gone too. So no more parking brake for me, at least for now.

Now for the better news, I thankfully checked the other side and low and behold, one pad totally delaminated the other hanging on by a thread, so I tore off the pad material and buttoned it up. I'll eventually replace it all but since I don't use the e-brake, good to go for now.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Check Tascaparts.com for diagrams and good prices. Ask your local Volvo parts dealer if they will match Tasca's prices. You seem to be fortunate you caught it when you did. The worst thing that could happen would be very expensive: knuckle, bearing, wheel speed sensor, rotor, caliper, etc. I've heard $2500-$3000 repair stories at the stealership.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I just pulled the heatshield and will replace later. Hub and knuckle look good (well the knuckle is missing the block for the parking brake, but no cracks or other damage). No more parking brake for now. Don't use it anyways. Thanks for the help, i'll be posting up pics once I get it clean (had it clean, then it rained)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Had this happen on my R, as well. Appears to be very common... ordered a new set of shoes and put her back to right. I don't normally use my e-brake either, but want to make sure it's there if I do ever need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts