SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
prepping for a flush before i hook up my new Hayden 679 and thermostat (thanks Antherzoll!) can get a good price on either, any functional difference? i read things, but never 100% sure what to believe.

both meet the spec but ?? who knows.

after the Gibbons flush, i will splice in the new cooler and thermostat and filter. just installed these last weekend along with new upper and lower torque mounts, 08 power steering resevoir, and some JY parts ( bumper, tail light upper, etc) to fix the previous owners neglects.

any opinions are welcome, hopefully soon so i can get this stuff ordered.

matt IMG_7141.jpg IMG_7144.jpg IMG_7146.jpg IMG_7145.jpg IMG_7143.jpg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
No worries, still relatable to us S60 folks IMO... Curious how you spliced in the cooler, did you cut into the existing hoses? I seriously would like to do this myself by adding an external cooler, as I experience heat soak from the cooling system into the trans fluid circuit as the car heat cycles since the trans fluid is normally cooled from off side of the the radiator. Also are you still running the fluid through the stock cooler as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have not cut the hoses....yet.

but i will be retaining all of the stock stuff(old and busted) and splicing in the new cooler in the top return line(new hotness).

seriously though, check out antherzoll's cooler thread in the v70 forum. i copied him. fluid will run from trans in to radiator cooler to aid in warming trans to operating temp. when cold the fluid will bypass the cooler via the 180*f oil thermostat. when fluid is up to 180 the thermostat will close and the fluid coming out of the radiator will be forced through the front mounted cooler and then back throught the thermostat and through my magnefine filter (which i will put on after the flush) and then change probably annually therafter, and drain and fills every other oil change.

trans -- stock cooler -- thermostat i (if 180*f then through cooler) -- magnefine -- trans

clear as mud i bet:D

Matt

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That sounds interesting. I will check out his thread, he's always good some good stuff going on. Curious why to thermostat it rather than just run it constant through the external cooler. But I'm sure that's explained. Thanks for the summary of it!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thermostat is there to allow the transmission to get to operating temp as normal, and then open to keep the fluid in its optimal temp. Heat breaks down the viscosity and additive packages in the fluid and then increases the wear on parts, and therefore kills transmissions .

If the cooler were flowing all the time the trans may take more time get up to its intended operating temp, over cooling if you will. probably not a concern on the central california coast, but for 40 bucks, i figured why not.

matt

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Oh yeah, warm up time here isn't a big issue unless your in the mountains in the winter. I was imagining the thermostat to be much more expensive then that, but that's a good investment for $40.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts