SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressions:

Overall a pretty good car. I'll go over some super-duper high level pro/cons now that I've had it for a week.

Chose the V60 T6 RD with platinum package and Blis.

Pro:

Parking sensors, Blis, adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, power/performance/handling, comfy, styling, sits low, roof rack, quiet, sound system quality (good for HK, could use a sub though), storage, like the rimless rear-view mirror, good seats for me, and sport-mode.

Con:

headroom sucks with sunroof(I'm 6'2"), Sensus/Nav is garbage (especially voice control for anything), heated seats stay in on-position between engine starts, too many lights on inside the cabin at night (why do the footwells need to be illuminated?), poor "boot" lighting at night (one small light to one side?), only 10 radio presets?, brakes feel a little soft, and no spare.

Questions:

1. Is there software available that lets you interface with the computer and "change" things? I had a VW Passat before and would use their software to change defaults like "transmission into sport mode", default running lights on/off, etc.

2. Somebody at work rented a Volvo while on vacation and forgot to turn in a keyfob. The rental place told him to keep it, so he gave it to me. Can this be programmed by myself, perhaps using some software that I referenced above? Where does one get the manual key "cut"?

3. Why do you have to hold the seat-position switch until it has completed the move? Why can't you just tap the button?

4. Can you sync the climate system for driver/passenger?

Some things I have learned/changed versus the default:

1. Turned off auto-dip side mirrors when in reverse. This works better for egressing my driveway, but pressing the "R" or "L" button on the side-view mirror controls when in reverse will dip them so you can see your wheel position in relation to the curb. I do wish you could adjust the dip-position like I could with my Passat.

2. Turned off auto-fold side mirror when locking. It barely helps and you can't tell me all that folding/un-folding is good for the system.

3. Set dash theme to Performance. Wish you could adjust the color for that, but oh well.

4. Removed shipping spacers last night

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I can only answer number 4: there is no way to sync them to be the same temp, you must adjust both.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
#3 is so that way people who don't know what they're doing don't press the button and have the seating position completely screwed up and not be able to stop it like in, for example, your older Passat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On #1 I would also be interested in what options were available for coding. On my VW CC I was able to code for example, linking the rain sensor from the wipers
to the auto window close feature for sunroof and windows plus enable emergency braking hazard light flashers which was a european feature disabled for the US. These were just some features that could be configured through software access through the canbus interface.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Con:

headroom sucks with sunroof(I'm 6'2"), Sensus/Nav is garbage (especially voice control for anything), heated seats stay in on-position between engine starts, too many lights on inside the cabin at night (why do the footwells need to be illuminated?), poor "boot" lighting at night (one small light to one side?), only 10 radio presets?, brakes feel a little soft, and no spare.
Older Volvos turn off the heated seats between restarts... I think most people like the fact that they maintain now...
I'm pretty sure there are actually two sets of ten FM presets (FM1 and FM2). At least that's how older Volvos are, and I thought newer Volvos with Sensus stilll had that but it's been a while since I drove one.

Questions:

1. Is there software available that lets you interface with the computer and "change" things? I had a VW Passat before and would use their software to change defaults like "transmission into sport mode", default running lights on/off, etc.
Yes. Software is VIDA. Hardware is DICE. Search for those on the forums for details.
Buy them from AliExpress.com.

2. Somebody at work rented a Volvo while on vacation and forgot to turn in a keyfob. The rental place told him to keep it, so he gave it to me. Can this be programmed by myself, perhaps using some software that I referenced above? Where does one get the manual key "cut"?
No. Volvo fobs can only be programmed using a special code written on the OEM packaging. That fob is now a paperweight.
Any shop can cut a key but that will only get you in the doors/etc, it won't start the car, obviously...

3. Why do you have to hold the seat-position switch until it has completed the move? Why can't you just tap the button?
It's so when I get in my wife's XC70 and she fills up the space behind the drivers seat with stuff, when I start hearing it get crunched I can release the button, get out, and fix the problem... :)

4. Can you sync the climate system for driver/passenger?
No. Why would you want to? If you normally drive around alone, just leave the passenger side at 70-ish and turn your side to whatever you want. These cars actually do just fine having one side at say 62F and the other at 76F. (Typical with my wife and I, she's always cold).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts