SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2016 V60 and it has the On Call system. I am trying to figure out what it does and if I should get it.
What I have gathered so far is that I would be paying $200/year to be able to remote start the car. This is a bit annoying, my ancient 2006 Impala just needed some messing with the menus and it does it for free forever from the key fob.
It also seems like it will work for about a year and then never work again with 3G going away :angryfire:
* I tried going to the Volvo web site and it took my VIN and said go away call the dealer no signing up online for you :nono:

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
548 Posts
I just got a 2016 V60 and it has the On Call system. I am trying to figure out what it does and if I should get it.
What I have gathered so far is that I would be paying $200/year to be able to remote start the car. This is a bit annoying, my ancient 2006 Impala just needed some messing with the menus and it does it for free forever from the key fob.
It also seems like it will work for about a year and then never work again with 3G going away

* I tried going to the Volvo web site and it took my VIN and said go away call the dealer no signing up online for you
It's a bit of an awkward time. 3G is going away and there will be a 4G upgrade coming. There is a block in place that does not let customers with a 3G car, buy a subscription for longer than 3G will officially be available.

VOC can do more than just remote start however... I don't remember, but a 2016 V60 *May* have a key based remote start available.

If you PM me your VIN I'll add 6 months so you can at least try it out to see if you want to upgrade to 4G when it's available.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's a bit of an awkward time. 3G is going away and there will be a 4G upgrade coming. There is a block in place that does not let customers with a 3G car, buy a subscription for longer than 3G will officially be available.

VOC can do more than just remote start however... I don't remember, but a 2016 V60 May have a key based remote start available.

If you PM me your VIN I'll add 6 months so you can at least try it out to see if you want to upgrade to 4G when it's available.
I have a 2015.5 XC60 T6 Volvo Ocean Race edition with the 3G service and use VOC frequently, having renewed my subscription twice. My favorite function besides remote start is sending navigation destinations information from to app to the car.
I'm curious about the 4G upgrade, or can I expect my VOC will stop working maybe at the end of this subscription period?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 2015.5 XC60 T6 Volvo Ocean Race edition with the 3G service and use VOC frequently, having renewed my subscription twice. My favorite function besides remote start is sending navigation destinations information from to app to the car.
I'm curious about the 4G upgrade, or can I expect my VOC will stop working maybe at the end of this subscription period?
Our VoC subscription expires on Dec. 21st. I'm happy to renew though we have similar concerns. Last year when we renewed, there was a half price renewal sale. Any chance this will be offered again this year?

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
548 Posts
Our VoC subscription expires on Dec. 21st. I'm happy to renew though we have similar concerns. Last year when we renewed, there was a half price renewal sale. Any chance this will be offered again this year?
Not sure on the specifics, but I do believe a promo will be available again for the holiday's.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just renewed via the VOC app. Paid $100 for 12 month extension ... 50% off with VOC20HOLIDAYS coupon. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
On the previous gen cars (the ones in this discussion) you can get the fob turned into an old timey remote starter as well. Just call your dealer and ask how much it would be to add. If the other On Call features don't do much for you, that's the way to go for most folks I'd say.

·
Registered
87 Posts
IMO the most valuable VoC feature is that you can search for an address on your phone and send it to the car's navigation. It's much faster than the dial (pre-SPA) or handwriting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO the most valuable VoC feature is that you can search for an address on your phone and send it to the car's navigation. It's much faster than the dial (pre-SPA) or handwriting.
I just tried that - it is pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Though they should make it do so via Bluetooth also, much easier and faster than cellular.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Though they should make it do so via Bluetooth also, much easier and faster than cellular.

But then what would they charge $300/year for?

Ofc as I write this I have not been able to sign in for two days.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
$300 a year? Is that a typo? See post #7 above.
I didn't have the updated pricing, just remembered what it was on my previous vehicle.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
But then what would they charge $300/year for?

Ofc as I write this I have not been able to sign in for two days.

VoC works over any distance as long as cellular service is available. Bluetooth works greater but only when you are near or in the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts