SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I purchased a FWD V50 yesterday, (this one http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Volvo-V50-2011/OAG-AD-7307997/?Cr=2), and have a few questions.

I understand that the chassis and engine are the exact same as my C30, so does that mean that all my parts are interchangeable? I am mainly concerned about the DP and exhaust.
-The exhaust on my C30 is the Milltek. What will need to be changed on it to make it fit?
-I currently have Koni FSD's with Eibach pro's on the C30. I am looking at getting Koni yellows, (not happy with the FSD's), and pairing them with the existing Eibach springs for the V50. Will Eibach springs from a C30 work on a V50?

-Lastly, I am trying to decide between Elevate or Shark for the tune. I currently have Elevate on the C30. I have never had an issue with it, but the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd really irritates me. For the first couple of gears, it feels like I'm driving my mums Mazda 3. Has anyone ever had issues with the Shark tune and limiter removed?

Other mods that I will be carrying over are:
Elevate CBV
Elevate TCV
Elevate swaybar
Elevate torque mount
Whiteline lower control arm bushes.
Elevate intercooler
Elevate full intercooler pipe kit.
Elevate turbo intake pipe

I also have some Team Dynamic rims, but I'm not sure how they will look on the V50. I've been trying to find some pics of TD wheels on V50's, but all I get is S40's and C30's. I suppose I could wait until I pick the car up, but I'm too impatient for that.

Any input is appreciated. I look forward to posting here more often.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
IM sure almost all of your parts will fit...
Definitely : CBV,TCV,Torque mount, IC and piping, intake. downpipe should be exactly the same but Axle-back piping is different. shocks/springs should work

The LCA's might be different sized ball-joints depending on what year the v50 is. .
As for the tune. i recommend shark... its worth a try, and you'll have the option to remove the limiter if you wanted to, Although i wouldn't remove it..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LCA's might be different sized ball-joints depending on what year the v50 is. .
As for the tune. i recommend shark... its worth a try, and you'll have the option to remove the limiter if you wanted to, Although i wouldn't remove it..
Thanks for the post. V50 is 2011, c30 is 2009. Do you know if they'll fit based on that?

Won't the Shark tune be/feel identical to the elevate tune if I don't get the limiter removed? Has there been any horror stories yet about the gearbox lunching itself without the limiter?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
rear may sit lower with the eibachs on the v50 given it's a bit heavier than the c30...

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
All parts will transfer over. You just need to modify the axle-back portion of the exhaust since the V50 is longer and has a wider exhaust tip spacing than the C30.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am now in two minds about the FSD VS Yellow's.
Part of me just wants to swap it all over because it is nice and easy and I don't have to pay for a set of new Yellow's.
The other part of me wants a slightly firmer, more controlled ride.

Has anyone here tried both? Are the yellows too harsh?
I also hate the way the FSD's handle sharp, sudden bumps. It feels like the suspension is going to come crashing through to the cabin.

Also, how long should a set of FSD's last? I currently have about 60K KM on mine.

While I'm here. Can anyone elaborate on how the Shark tune differs from Elevates?

Edit: Made up my mind. Yellows it is.
This thread on a Bimmer forum helped me decide:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1069453

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The yellows will do fine with the eibachs since they're too over damped for the stock springs anyways. I highly recommend you tell them to valve them to the eibach springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The yellows will do fine with the eibachs since they're too over damped for the stock springs anyways. I highly recommend you tell them to valve them to the eibach springs

Can you please elaborate? Can't I just adjust them myself?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Valving has to do with suspension tuning. This is internal to the shock housing and has to do with how fast you want the oil to travel aka dampers. The adjustability of the koni yellow is there but do you want it to go softer than the softest setting and have a better ride or do you want a stiffer than stiffest setting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think I would go softer or stiffer than what they can offer off the shelf.
I basically want the car to handle high frequency bumps better, yet handle directional changes and sharp bends with ease. At the moment, the FSD's seem to struggle with that.
I feel that the FSD's are good on smooth roads with long sweeping bends.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Yellows will be the same if anything worse at high frequency bumps.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
your v50 may be a bit slower than your c30 after you tune it. i forget by how much, but its a little heavier. maybe close to 200lbs?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
pix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts