SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Good month ago i bought myself a toy for soul, it's late 2003 reg, 2004 model S60R autobox model with 200k kms behind.

I own also c70 t-5 autobox me7 with 520.000 kms done so far and works like a champ, which is lightly modified and is pulling much better than the R, i was quite dissappointed/worried that smthng is wrong wth R at first but i saw on youtube acceleration videos that "poor (compared to c70 i have) performances of R are normal as is. C70 w boost @1.1bar takes approx 12.9 s from 100-200km/h as R takes ages and feels like it' s breathing weak at higher speeds.

This is not the case here anyway.

I am getting R for stage0 before any further performance upgrades, i plan for it only big intercooler kit, downipe with sports cat and a remap and that will be it to i get atleast close to c70 performances.

However, i am now before big service, so fat i got:
- both belts and all pulleys
- water pump
- coolant thermostat w housing
- mobil1 5/50 oil
- all filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel)
- haldex filter and oil
- haldex oil pump
- haldex temp/pressure sensor
- angle gear collar kit
- angle gear oil will be changed aswell

Did i miss anything important, sparks are volvo original and new 5k kms ago.

Due to big service i am also considering to replace both, camshaft and crank position sensors but here i am in doubts if anything will be better with the followong problem:

Car, when engine warm/hot sometimes cranks for a bit longer and fires harder, slightly.
Also when cold it happened on few occasions that it took a bit longer to fire up but this thing mainly happens when engine hot. At same time it occures that rpm needle jumped up while cranking....could this be any of above bad sensors? Once it fires it runs like a champ, hot or cold, no missfires anytime, no rough running at all , no idle hesitation and everything perfect...

Not to forget mention that two or three times when starting hot rpms jumped to 2k immediatelly after startup but immediatelly drop back to normal idle, without throttle aplied if this could be any related to crank/cam sensors.

If so, should i stock to volvo pricey original sensors or any oem aftermarket should do ota job?

Car is used as daily with cca 30k kms per year so everything must work!

Vida throws no codes relating to engine, only haldex issues which will be solved with new parts.

Sorry for such a writeup and i hope it is understandable what i am writing.
Best regards from Slovenia.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Since you also have an early 2004 with a slush box you may also have one of the early low power tunes on your car. Easiest way to figure that one out is to put a boost gauge on the R or log boost data in VIDA since it will be easy to see if you barely make more than 10 psi of boost even in the higher gears. If you are not already aware of it, the 5 speed cars are tuned to run low boost in the first two gears to protect the drivetrain.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for info.

Yeah will do that with vida to be sure, but here anyway i want first to solve starting issue explained above.

So, if its low tuned R, does it mean its not safe to tune it with upgrades like later models or no problems here with that? For lower boost in first two gears i am familiar with as c70 has the same.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
There are people here with tunes that get rid of the factory neutering, have yet to hear of someone breaking something that way. Seems the factory sleeves cracking over time is the biggest worry related to running a tune since some people manage to crack their sleeves with the factory tune.

Some people will complain about the angle gear and collar, but that appears to be more due to fretting wear destroying the splines than a power issue since once again lots of people with stock tunes strip them out over time as well as those of us with a tune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about this issue, i am more eager to solve this first...if anyone might give any idea....

Car, when engine warm/hot sometimes cranks for a bit longer and fires harder, slightly. Also when cold it happened on few occasions that it took a bit longer to fire up but this thing mainly happens when engine hot. At same time it occures that rpm needle jumped up while cranking....could this be any of above bad sensors? Once it fires it runs like a champ, hot or cold, no missfires anytime, no rough running at all , no idle hesitation and everything perfect... Not to forget mention that two or three times when starting hot rpms jumped to 2k immediatelly after startup but immediatelly drop back to normal idle, without throttle aplied if this could be any related to crank/cam sensors. If so, should i stock to volvo pricey original sensors or any oem aftermarket should do ota job?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If your coils and plugs are good, the issues you have could be pointing to a flaky temp or fuel pressure sensors, two cheap sensors that are known to cause issues like those you describe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would preffer to start with the cheaper parts....can you reffer to which parts exactly...i am loooking at a scheme on volvopartswebsoter and cannot define exactly which parts you mean?

with temp sensor - you mean "lat sensor" (9125463) at thermostat housing which is cca 50€ and fuel pressure sensor (30756097) (8699449) at the fuel rail which is a bit pricey 150 €?

Is it possible to somehow test these sensors with VIDA if they are showing any signs of weakness? Because no cel engine light or any codes in vida are not present at any time

Thanx

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The problem with a bad temp or fuel pressure sensor is that they can start going bad, but not trigger a code unless its bad enough for long enough to throw one.

When they start going bad intermittently is the kind of thing that can cause hard starts and strange idles. If you watch the values in VIDA you might get lucky and see them jumping around erratically which they shouldn't do. Then again like schrodinger's cat you have no idea what they are doing when you are not watching them, lol.

You would also need to put a real pressure gauge on the fuel rail to see if the pressure there matches what the FPS thinks it is as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts