SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here. I just bought a 2009 C70. Very nice looking car. I have a few questions maybe someone can help me with.

1. I get a message above the rearview mirror "Passenger Air Bag Off" as I sit in the passenger seat. If I unclip, then reclip the seat belt, the message disappears but only for a minute, then it comes back.

2. When the headlights are in the automatic mode, I can't get the high beams to stay on. I pull the lever for high beams but they only come on if I keep the lever pulled. However, if I turn the light switch to "on" instead of "auto", then the high beams work as expected.

3. I get a shudder under medium to hard accelleration off the line. Maybe this is a convertible thing, I'm not sure.

4. There is a message in the dash display that says "Book Time For Maintenance". I have read the manual and know that there are several different messages that will appear as needed but I plan to do my own maintenance on this car so I would like to delete any of these types of messages. The manual says to press the READ button to read it then again to delete it but it won't delete.

5. My remote key fob won't unlock the trunk. I've done some browsing and it seems it may be a solonoid in the trunk somewhere? Anyone know where and how to fix it if it can be fixed?

6. Is it really a good idea to never, ever change the trans fluid? I have 64K on the car. I've always changed the fluid in all my other cars and trucks.

Thanks for any help on these questions.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Bud, welcome. I can answer some but not all of your questions, but I'm sure others will chime in.

1. This message is normal, and the light will stay on. The passenger seat has a weight sensor, meaning that the passenger side air bag will only be turned on (for deployment in case of impact) when there is sufficient weight on the seat. Otherwise, the passenger airbag off light stays on.

2. This is also normal, but it is annoying. The high beams only stay on when the headlights are on the "on" switch position (as well as the bending lights position if your car has this option).

3. Not sure about your shudder - is it a transmission thing (i.e. abrupt downshift when accelerating)?

4. Try the ignition position methods in this sticky thread:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?39792-Service-Light-reset-procedures-for-different-Volvo-s.

5. Sounds like you're on the right track, but I do not have any suggestions for this one.

6. I agree with you and am somewhat perturbed that I can't even check the level of the transmission fluid. Page 15 of my warranty manual (not the owners manual) has the following somewhat confusing statement in a footnote:

Volvo recommends changing automatic transmission fluid every 52,500 miles / 84,000 kilometers, only on vehicles used for towing, or when a message displays in the Instrument Panel Text Window.

So, if you do any towing (can you guess how many C70s do so?) change your fluid by 52.5k miles, otherwise wait for a light to tell you to change it. As for my car, my plan is to wait until I hit 75 or 80k miles and then change it. At my rate, that will be in roughly 5 years (the car will be 6 years old).

Best of luck with your C70.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answers regtor. I appreciate it. But I think you misread my first one. There WAS someone in the passenger seat...ME. My wife was driving. I weigh 160 lbs so I assume that's enough weight.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

5. My remote key fob won't unlock the trunk. I've done some browsing and it seems it may be a solonoid in the truck somewhere? Anyone know where and how to fix it if it can be fixed?

The trunk lid does not unlatch until you activate it with you hand. Is this what you are doing? In other words, an unlocked trunk doesn't mean the lid is disengaged. I'd like to walk down to the garage and take a closer look; but our C70 is STILL at the body shop...waiting for a front bumper cover. It's been two weeks! C'mon Volvo supplier dude...let's get with it!

Gotta say I wouldn't be too crazy about the 'air bag off' light and/or the air bag not being 'locked and loaded' with a passenger in the seat. Problem with the light? Problem with the sensor detecting a person in the seat? IIRC, the air bag IS off until the seat belt is latched(again, I can't go check); so the problem could be with the belt buckle 'telling' the sensor that it's latched(or not).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, what I mean is that the fob has a button on it with a picture of a trunk. Pressing this button does nothing. I can however, open the trunk with my hand under it above the license plate. But the fob does nothing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, here's a stupid question: What is the net looking thing under the headrests for? Does it serve a function or is it just for looks?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Well, what I mean is that the fob has a button on it with a picture of a trunk. Pressing this button does nothing. I can however, open the trunk with my hand under it above the license plate. But the fob does nothing.
Sorry, I guess we're typing on top of each other ;) . Correct, nothing happens when you press the fob button EXCEPT that the trunk CAN be opened by your hand. Otherwise, it's locked and you'll break a nail or just plain look silly when you try to open the trunk lid WITHOUT unlocking it first. I'm trying to remember if the trunk is unlocked when BOTH doors are unlocked...seemed like that was the case with our '08. Still have to actually open it by activating the 'latch' with your hand.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Also, here's a stupid question: What is the net looking thing under the headrests for? Does it serve a function or is it just for looks?
That's a pocket for whatever you'd like. I've got some paperwork in one of mine. Also, note the pocket on the front edge of the front seats, between your legs when you're siting down. Storage space is not plentiful on a C70, so it's good to figure out all the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for your answers regtor. I appreciate it. But I think you misread my first one. There WAS someone in the passenger seat...ME. My wife was driving. I weigh 160 lbs so I assume that's enough weight.
Sorry, I did misread your post. Yes, the light should go off unless you are deliberately sitting at the edge of the passenger seat. My 90 pound daughter likes to figure out how to turn the light on when she's riding with me. As Coach said, you do need to be buckled in as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I guess I'll check the wiring under the seat. Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a connector unplugged.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's a pocket for whatever you'd like. I've got some paperwork in one of mine. Also, note the pocket on the front edge of the front seats, between your legs when you're siting down. Storage space is not plentiful on a C70, so it's good to figure out all the nooks and crannies.
No 'net' on the back of the seats in our '08 or '11; but there is the legit pouch(solid, not mesh) as nearly all Volvos have. I'm not sure I'm visualizing a 'net' as such.
Yes, the seat front pouches, while small, are great for a small flashlight and pocket knife(make sure nobody is driving this to school without removing said knife).

After being gone on one of our convertibles, the door pull well is a decent catch-all for gum and lip goo(watch the sun!). I wish the XC had that feature rather than the 'pass through' door pull. The drop-in 'ash tray' (coin holder) only fits properly in the FRONT cup holders...back seat cup holders are smaller.

Check the trunk pass-through to hopefully find a flat-tire kit(12v inflator), especially if you don't have a spare tire.

Last, for now...how many miles on your C70? You may or may not have some warranty time/mileage left. If so, I'd let the dealer take a peek at the shudder you mentioned. It's incredibly easy to break the drive wheels loose on even moderate acceleration...not at all uncommon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I found the pockets on the front of the seats. Thanks. Didn't know they were there. But the ones below the headrests aren't pockets. They are in the very small hole between the bottom of the headrest and the top of the seat. Right where your neck would be if you were sitting in the car. To me it looks like simply a space filler. I have a pic but not sure how to post it.

Also, I have read the link about erasing the message "Book Time For Maintenance" and there are no posts in it about a 2009 C70. However, I did try all the things mentioned and none worked. Dang. It just bugs me. I don't want that message, along with the big "i" in the middle, showing up everytime I start the car.

The car has 64,000 on it so no more warranty.

No tire inflator but there is a space behind the rear armrest that has velcro strips but nothing velcroed to it. I'm not sure, but I think it may be for an emergency cover in case the top won't go up and rain is coming.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No tire inflator but there is a space behind the rear armrest that has velcro strips but nothing velcroed to it. I'm not sure, but I think it may be for an emergency cover in case the top won't go up and rain is coming.
If you had the 'no spare' "option", you would have a nifty inflator with a built-in can of 'fix a flat'. It would fit nicely in that space. You have a mini spare, yes?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. I have the spare so I guess no inflator or fix-a-flat. So where is this "emergency cover" that the manual talks about? It says it's in the trunk pass through but I don't see anything there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got it. I finally erased the message.

Thanks you guys very much. So....

1. I get a message above the rearview mirror "Passenger Air Bag Off" as I sit in the passenger seat. If I unclip, then reclip the seat belt, the message disappears but only for a minute, then it comes back.
DONE. It was a loose wire under the seat.

2. When the headlights are in the automatic mode, I can't get the high beams to stay on. I pull the lever for high beams but they only come on if I keep the lever pulled. However, if I turn the light switch to "on" instead of "auto", then the high beams work as expected.
UNDERTAND HOW IT WORKS NOW

3. I get a shudder under medium to hard accelleration off the line. Maybe this is a convertible thing, I'm not sure.
STILL HAVE TO ANALYZE THIS

4. There is a message in the dash display that says "Book Time For Maintenance". I have read the manual and know that there are several different messages that will appear as needed but I plan to do my own maintenance on this car so I would like to delete any of these types of messages. The manual says to press the READ button to read it then again to delete it but it won't delete.
DONE

5. My remote key fob won't unlock the trunk. I've done some browsing and it seems it may be a solonoid in the trunk somewhere? Anyone know where and how to fix it if it can be fixed?
UNDERTAND HOW IT WORKS NOW

6. Is it really a good idea to never, ever change the trans fluid? I have 64K on the car. I've always changed the fluid in all my other cars and trucks.
STILL NOT SURE ABOUT THIS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts