·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
105 Posts
Updates from and including July 2019

- Improvement of the AWD system's optimisation.
- Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
- Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/topics/maintenance-service/software-updates/software-updates

Every two - three months of software upgrade is a proof that there is a problem in the software department
Please name for me the piece of perfect software that never gets updated.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts

...Every two - three months of software upgrade is a proof that there is a problem in the software department
Or proof of their wonderful customer service where Volvo is actually passing on updates to their customers as soon as they develop 'em, and none the less, for free, unlike some other brands! :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Please name for me the piece of perfect software that never gets updated.
Such software does not exist, but the software upgrade every three months is not normally special for the engine and transmission.

For my Q5 2018 the same year as my Volvo XC60 there is no upgrade for the gearbox and the engine

Or proof of their wonderful customer service where Volvo is actually passing on updates to their customers as soon as they develop 'em, and none the less, for free, unlike some other brands! :)
I've never had a similar experience with previous cars. I think Volvo has problems with the software department because it simply corrects the mistakes and failures that they have made.

Multimedia software is vulnerable to bugs this is not important, but it should not happen with the software for engine and gearbox

I waited a year to Volvo correct the error with motor processor - problem with acceleration

Volvo has 3 petrol and 3 diesel engines and are not capable of making software for the same. What would happen to have 12-18 different engines like Audi, BMW, MB
or 8 Volvo models car compare with 26 models Audi

·
Registered
33 Posts

- Improvement of the AWD system's optimisation.
- Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
- Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/topics/maintenance-service/software-updates/software-updates

Every two - three months of software upgrade is a proof that there is a problem in the software department

Thanks for the information and link, but I want to say you have a very naive understanding of the modern software life cycle. And when I say modern, I mean the past 15 years or more. Software can ALWAYS be improved, whether by fixing bugs, adding features, tweaking things based on customer feedback, plugging security holes, increasing performance, decreasing resource usage, etc, etc, etc. If Volvo didn't update my software every time I went in, I'd be real worried. Do you think software updates to your phone and computer are bad?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hahahaha pushing updates proves the engineers are doing their job and, you know, working.

I challenge you to name *one* automaker that pushes no updates.

Just for fun, here's a list of 152 recalls from Mercedes Benz that are all related to or solved by software: https://mb.oemdtc.com/category/recalls
Getting software updates on a BMW is apparently part of regular maintenance: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528571
Even on Audi's high-end 4.0TFSI motors, guess what... multiple software fixes/updates: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6...-199/21f2-service-campaign-4-0-tfsis-2918619/

I get it if you had/are having a bad experience. Sell the car, share your experience, don't return to the brand. I had to do that with an SRT vehicle I owned. 16 warranty fixes, 3 transmissions, 5 software updates all under 35k miles.

Don't try to look at everything Volvo does as incriminating evidence to support your argument.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Curious as to level of involvement to optimize engine and transmission performance as I would imagine this could come with headaches related to EPA regs and whatnot. Don't think volvo would take this lightly.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information and link, but I want to say you have a very naive understanding of the modern software life cycle. And when I say modern, I mean the past 15 years or more. Software can ALWAYS be improved, whether by fixing bugs, adding features, tweaking things based on customer feedback, plugging security holes, increasing performance, decreasing resource usage, etc, etc, etc. If Volvo didn't update my software every time I went in, I'd be real worried. Do you think software updates to your phone and computer are bad?
Upgrade engine and transmission software every 2-3 months is NOT NORMAL, sorry

You compare phone and computer with a car - NO COMMENT

Hahahaha pushing updates proves the engineers are doing their job and, you know, working.

I challenge you to name *one* automaker that pushes no updates.

Just for fun, here's a list of 152 recalls from Mercedes Benz that are all related to or solved by software: https://mb.oemdtc.com/category/recalls
Getting software updates on a BMW is apparently part of regular maintenance: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528571
Even on Audi's high-end 4.0TFSI motors, guess what... multiple software fixes/updates: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6...-199/21f2-service-campaign-4-0-tfsis-2918619/

I get it if you had/are having a bad experience. Sell the car, share your experience, don't return to the brand. I had to do that with an SRT vehicle I owned. 16 warranty fixes, 3 transmissions, 5 software updates all under 35k miles.

Don't try to look at everything Volvo does as incriminating evidence to support your argument.
Thank you for a good joke

Most Recall Campaign for MB refers to Mercedes-Benz Sprinter or Vito (lights, doors, seats ...) not for engine

Audi: software upgrade for V8 engine from 2012 is normal, but not every 2-3 months

BMW from 2011, the upgrade is normal after so many years

Please, for the next time, links for similar vehicles as Volvo XC60 : Audi Q5 2018, BMW X3 2018 or GLC 2018

Thank you

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Kudos should be given to Volvo for their continued development on a 3-4 year old platform considering they have its replacement almost ready for launch.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
XC90 got this update also recently. There is only a few engine and transmission improvement updates since MY2016. It is not every 2 or 3 months as you thought.

And it is improvement, and hardly noticeable to people. It is not like that old engine and transmission software would cause damage to the car in any way.

So I don't see why it is not normal or worrisome.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
XC90 got this update also recently. There is only a few engine and transmission improvement updates since MY2016. It is not every 2 or 3 months as you thought.

And it is improvement, and hardly noticeable to people. It is not like that old engine and transmission software would cause damage to the car in any way.

Exactly, It's an "improvement" to what was already an award winning vehicle. It's not like i'm running out to get it updated cause it was not drivable, just going to wait for the next service since the car's perfectly fine as is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Upgrade engine and transmission software every 2-3 months is NOT NORMAL, sorry

You compare phone and computer with a car - NO COMMENT

Thank you for a good joke
I think you're conflating "software update" with "problem".

It's a computer with wheels, seats, an engine, and yes, a transmission. EVERYTHING is controlled by software. And software is constantly evolving. If you don't get that, then you're in for continued frustration. And this is today. What do you think it's going to be like when vehicles are all electric, drive themselves, and are constantly connected to a mesh network with infrastructure and other vehicles. In five or ten years, you're going to get a dozen software updates a week.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
It's almost more amusing that you dont see the similarities to a car and cell phone.... if you're old school enough to remember tuning a carb then you shouldnt be surprised that we can constantly tweak engine and transmission formulas in order to improve different real world engine management situtations. Volvo is great at taking consumer feedback and making changes even if it makes it harder for them.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I apologize if I made a mistake

Updates including July 2019
Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

Updates including April 2019

Updates including March 2019
Improvements of the engine control system's optimisation.

Updates including November 2018

Updates including October 2018

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I think you're conflating "software update" with "problem".

It's a computer with wheels, seats, an engine, and yes, a transmission. EVERYTHING is controlled by software. And software is constantly evolving. If you don't get that, then you're in for continued frustration. And this is today. What do you think it's going to be like when vehicles are all electric, drive themselves, and are constantly connected to a mesh network with infrastructure and other vehicles. In five or ten years, you're going to get a dozen software updates a week.
There are dozens of modules in the car and everyone has their own software, not a common software
I'm writing about software for the engine and gearbox

I have no frustration, I have a problem with the car and wait a year to Volvo solve the same problem
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?584369-Reduced-perfomance

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's almost more amusing that you dont see the similarities to a car and cell phone.... if you're old school enough to remember tuning a carb then you shouldnt be surprised that we can constantly tweak engine and transmission formulas in order to improve different real world engine management situtations. Volvo is great at taking consumer feedback and making changes even if it makes it harder for them.
An interesting comment, meaning engineers from BMW, Audi, MB, Porsche ........ are stupid who do not upgrade engine / gearbox software every 2-3 months
or are capable of making software that does not need to be upgraded for 1-3 years or more

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
An interesting comment, meaning engineers from BMW, Audi, MB, Porsche ........ are stupid who do not upgrade engine / gearbox software every 2-3 months
or are capable of making software that does not need to be upgraded for 1-3 years or more
It doesn't NEED to be updated. As mentioned, it isn't like driving on the old software is going to damage anything. You hate your car so you look at it negatively. Others see it as Volvo is tweaking things and updating it for free. Other manufacturers are not.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
It doesn't NEED to be updated. As mentioned, it isn't like driving on the old software is going to damage anything. You hate your car so you look at it negatively. Others see it as Volvo is tweaking things and updating it for free. Other manufacturers are not.
+1 Continuous improvement is neither an event nor an end all. It is a culture.

My glass is at least half full and I appreciate Volvo’s continuous improvements and optimizations - both free ones and paid upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
174 Posts
I apologize if I made a mistake

Updates including July 2019

Updates including April 2019

Updates including March 2019

Updates including November 2018

Updates including October 2018
It's worth noting that each of these updates does more than simply adjust the ECU/TCU. Many update additional modules, Volvo just doesn't include that in the changelog. And as you no doubt know, the only time you actually get visibility into the modules touched is during the update process itself.

I applaud Volvo for continuing to refine their software, even if it results in more updates/work for the techs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts