SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend whose 2004 T6 needs a new tranny and head gasket. He took his car in for regular service, and voila - need new transmission! He has 40K miles on the car. He said the dealership was not surprised. The good news is Volvo is doing all the work under warranty. And, he gets a loaner while it is completed.

I saw this happened to other T6's in the thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=51262

A couple questions:
1) is this directly related to the T6/4 speed? Or will 2.5T/5 speeds also have this problem? My 2.5T has done well so far.
2) Should he consider extending the Volvo warranty? How long is the warranty on new/rebuilt transmissions?
3) Are there confidential trade in programs for T6 owners? Perhaps to get them into a V8?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: New tranny / head gasket needed for 2004 XC90 T6 (kevinG)

Quote, originally posted by kevinG »
I have a friend whose 2004 T6 needs a new tranny and head gasket. He took his car in for regular service, and voila - need new transmission! He has 40K miles on the car. He said the dealership was not surprised. The good news is Volvo is doing all the work under warranty. And, he gets a loaner while it is completed.

I saw this happened to other T6's in the thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=51262

A couple questions:
1) is this directly related to the T6/4 speed? Or will 2.5T/5 speeds also have this problem? My 2.5T has done well so far.
2) Should he consider extending the Volvo warranty? How long is the warranty on new/rebuilt transmissions?
3) Are there confidential trade in programs for T6 owners? Perhaps to get them into a V8?

Cheers

My 05 T6 had a head gasket replacement a few months back. If we end up keeping it in the long run, we'll buy the extended warranty. It only has 12k miles right now though and runs great.

The trans has been very strong so far.

If it breaks under warranty, Volvo will fix it.

I'm not worried.

In regards to "confidential trade in programs"....I really doubt it.

There are A LOT of XC90 T6's out there that have perfectly happy owners. You make it sound like an epidemic or something.

I dont mean to sound harsh... Just my .02 cents.

Tim

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: New tranny / head gasket needed for 2004 XC90 T6 (kevinG)

Quote, originally posted by kevinG »

Not per se, but in my case (and several others) who had persistent problems Volvo does have some type of 'trade assist' $$$ to help out. For our 2003, I figured it was about $5K they were offering up, considering the potential resale value. I was glad to get rid of the '03, but keep in mind I had to eat our state's 5% sales tax, requiring us to pay the full tax on the new vehicle's purchase price, on a $50K vehicle, that was 50% of the cash they were offering up. I had to think long and hard before I decided to do the deal.

So far, so good with the V8 http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Only time will tell.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: New tranny / head gasket needed for 2004 XC90 T6 (spideyman)

And ya jumped from a first year 2003, to a first year 2005(V8). No track record on one or the other.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: New tranny / head gasket needed for 2004 XC90 T6 (dmd)

Quote, originally posted by dmd »

And ya jumped from a first year 2003, to a first year 2005(V8). No track record on one or the other.

yeah, some could call me..
...well lets not go there. I drove the 2.5 extensively and wanted/needed the capacity of the xc90, so v8 was only option if I wanted to take advantage of the 'help.' My reasoning was the fact that the v8 is built by Yahama and they've been making engines for awhile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.