SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dealer just had their annual "Garage Sale" over the weekend, and we picked up some new toys for the car.

Bought the Thule roof rack with a couple of fork mounted bike carriers. It's the rectangular one.

As per sondagsakare's suggestion in another thread, I mounted the rack as far back as possible, and though there's some wind noise, it's easily forgotten after a short while.

A little gimmicky, but we also got the fridge for those long road trips. It's the one that fits in the center console of the rear seats, and serves as a great armrest if you don't mind converting your car into a 4 seater.

Installation/removal takes only a couple of minutes, and there's no permanent changes that need to be made in order for it to work. It's designed to fit perfectly into the existing space, snapping in exactly the same as the rear seats.

The only drawback is that when it's installed, there's an unsightly gap between the backrests from where the center backrest usually sits. Volvo makes a map holder to cover this area... that's next on the 'to buy' list!

Oh yeah, another problem is that when friends see it, they say, "Oh cool, that's just like the Pontiac Aztek!" I cringe at the thought of someone equating the XC to an Aztek.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd LOVE to have that cooler! As it is, I use a powered cooler that I have to toss in the cargo area. Really, we wouldn't be able to use it since my daughter's baby seat is strapped to the middle position...but I still want it!

- Darell

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the acknowledgment, coastal. I meant to include this safety tip: When you transport your bike backwards, additionally secure the rear wheel to the tray with an old toe clip strap. (If the tray binding were to release in transit, the bike could rotate backwards around the steer tube.) And--many rack owners report garaging their cars with bikes still mounted: May you not be among them.

Get some ratchet straps. I had a nice load of 4x8 ply up on top over the weekend; winged V70 lookin' good lined up with the trucks at the lumber yard. No wind noise, BTW.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car's not garaged at home right now and the office's garage is about 20 feet high, so I haven't got that worry. Though I will make a mental note right now and hopefully I'll remember it the next time I travel BC Ferries with the bikes on top

I've only got two right now, and they're both mounted fork forward, but nonetheless, good info on running the bikes backwards, I can see that getting ugly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts